1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE TREVOR ARIZA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StonesRunIt, Dec 28, 2009.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yes, because the numbers were across the board. He was putting up high assists numbers for a small forward (4.4), high rebound numbers for a small forward (5.9), high steal numbers for anyone (1.7), getting a block per game. These are good stats for a small forward by any standard. Add a strong 38% three point shooting percentage

These are all strong numbers that Courtney Lee will not duplicate. Even if you compare Lee to shooting guards he does not put up good assist numbers or good rebounding numbers. He also is too short to affect jump shots which is why he gets no blocks, and does not have the length that allows Ariza to poke more balls away for steals.

You argued this by saying Lee shot 40% from the field two years ago passively shooting wide open three points shots and scoring 8 points per game. I don't consider this strong evidence that Lee cat put up the same all-around numbers that Ariza was able to put up after the all-star break when he settled into a role that better suits him. You then reference the free throw shooting, which is moot since Ariza makes as many free throws per game as Lee even takes. Still not strong evidence that Lee can put up similar numbers to Ariza.

Also, if you're going to use historical stats from two years ago to argue how good Lee is, I'll point to Trevor's 46% field goal percentage as a member of the world champion Lakers, a better field goal percentage than Lee has ever put up.

No, because Aaron does other things much better than Trevor and is a legit scoring option on offense. Lee is not.

You're seriously exaggerating this, but I'll give you that he would gamble on steals. But how many inside passes did he prevent getting his arms in passing lanes? How many shots did he discourage due to his 7'2" wingspan? If you want to start arguing non-numerical stats we can, but there tends to be a lot of embellishment and neither of us are going to believe each other, so it's kind of pointless.

So basically you're argument is "in Morey we trust?" Got it.

I hope you're right and look forward to see him play defense. I don't know if his impact will be very great though...playing behind Martin and possibly relinquishing minutes to the Lowry-Brooks lineup if Adelman chooses to use that again.

I don't know if he thought he was a first option with Yao in the mix, but early in the season you're right he was trying to be a scoring option. Of course it was the Rockets own coaching staff encouraging him. We didn't really have expectations last year, so they thought they'd see what Trevor could do as a scoring option. It was a bad move on their part and took the better half of the season to break him away from it. With time and the acquisition of Martin it all came together for him. He realized his role, began to shoot in the flow of the offense, and filled up the non-scoring-related stat sheet while improving his efficiency through better shot selection. With Yao this pattern would have continued.

Also, I disagree that he is overpaid. At least no more than most players in the NBA. There's not many small forward in the league that fill up as many stats in a box score like Ariza has shown he is capable of. Besides, Scola gets paid more as a fourth option. Lowry gets paid a little less playing twenty minutes a game. Like I said, all good players are overpaid. You overpay them because they're good players and other teams want them for the same price.

He will not get the same production. Lee will get barely 50% of the playing time that Adelman seemed fit to give to Ariza over Shane and Budinger.

He can put the ball in the hole. He can also "concentrate" enough to help a team win a championship as a starter. You're just tossing out random things now without much incite to deflect how important "natural gifts" are valued and sought out in the NBA.

It's curious how you're so willing to call Trevor an absolute piss poor player, and then completely ignore that Lee put up even worse stats last season. Please give me the excuses for Lee's poor play last season. I'm sure you will analyze it and explain away all of the reasons why he failed, while choosing to ignore all of the reasons Ariza struggled early in the season.

#821 DCkid, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. caneks

caneks Rookie

Actually Ariza was the only proven winner in this team. I am very upset to see him leaving after only one brief year.

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

ariza was only a winner with the lakers because he played off gasol and kobe. he didn't have to make his own shot like he does here.

here he wasn't that great..... i would of liked to see him play with yao, but when they call and offer c.Lee for ariza you have to do it.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol....so Luis is not proven, gold medals and bronze medals with the national team do not count......
    Chuckwagon's elite defense not proven
    Yao's domination not proven
    Brooks and Martin's offensive prowess not proven.
    Battier's on the face defense not proven.
    Our bench and Rick the Ruler not proven.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

no, When they called and offered cap space and a mid range TPE for Ariza you have to do it.

As much as I liked Ariza having the cap space to dramatically change the teams lineup in the future is key.

6. hahachui

hahachui Member

We did took a step back.
    However, we can trade for a better player given the trade exception from Ariza....

7. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

well we never gave him a chance to play off of yao and martin or yao and brooks.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Getting rid of a chemistry killer can never be called a step backwards, especially on a team that didn't even make the playoffs.

Given another year of decline in Ariza's game, this deal could end up looking like a steal.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Link to chemistry killer?

Decline in his game? Well, He's back to being the 4th-5th best player on the team so I'm sure the only decline he'll have is the time he has with the ball.

Chis Paul will do wonders with him in the fast break. the trade is Even Steven really.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This has been so overblown. Point me to the report saying Ariza was killing chemistry in the locker room? It doesn't exist. Just because a guy "has bad body language" in the heat of the moment (which I agree is unnecessary), doesn't make a bad locker room.

Clutchfans is turning into a gossip rag.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

turning into? lol. This has always been the place to find juicy info on your Houstonian athletes.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good Riddance !!!!

DD

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

I am sure every NBA player won some kind of medals in high school or collage, but this is NBA, it is all about win. You need the ring to prove yourself. That is why we are so proud of the 93-95 teams. How many superstars took pay cut for NBA ring?

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Either that or its one of the obvious reasons that he was traded away after one year, but it's become overblown since it has to be re-explained to people so much.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fact is Trevor was the only one with the ring. He was an uber role player for them. He is no savior. And honestly he is getting ahead of himself because of that. He should stay down to earth.
    Adelman got to the Conference Finals and Finals with Portland. In the Finals anything can happen.
    Getting the gold medal and beat Team US is quite an achievement.

16. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Ariza's game was no way near on the decline. What he got last year is what any NBA players could dream of. I chance to play. Those minutes he played and going into off-season training knowing what he needs to dramatically work on. He is only going to get better than he was last year.

17. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

THIS!

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

CONSISTANT!

Rocket River

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is only one player left on the team that I really don't like as a basketball player, and honestly, it is marginal, as in, I don't really dislike the guy because he is young and growing, so not a big deal.

Jermaine Taylor...

The rest of the team, I adore, and I love the fact that the organization seems to be going exactly the direction that I enjoy....towards high character, hard working, team oriented players.

Now, I would sacrifice some of those for a superstar, but since none are avaialbe, they are doing exactly the right thing.

I take a lot of heat, but it sure seems funny how many players that I don't like find themselves getting shipped out rather quickly, doesn't it?

;)

Meanwhile, Kwame and Leeb stew......Bwahahahahahahahah

DD

#839 DaDakota, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  20. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

DM has a sister??!! seXY... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: