1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE RYAN ANDERSON

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Von Rafer, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kudos for a new variation on the "I have grown to HATE" threads meme. A few pointers:

1) only use uppercase in the thread title for "HATE"; use lower case for the player's name.
    2) give some sense of your prior love/admiration for the player and indicate when and why that admiration began to sour. Hence the "grown" to hate explanation.
    3) it's always a plus if you can do some kind of contortion with the player's name for dramatic effect: e.g., Ryan FRAUDerson.

Other than that, nicely done. Your thread title might also have mentioned how much he makes ($18.74 million) in order to achieve maximum echo effect of other CF memes, but that's just gravy if you've done the other stuff the right way. ;)

hakeem94, jayfree, Louka and 2 others like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a good guy to have on your team, he is not a great guy as a starter, more of a backup stretch PF.

If he was a better rebounder, ala Kevin Love he would be a perfect fit....

Once we lose Capella our rebounding drops off a cliff as does our interior defense....

Bogut or bust.....if we get him we are a contender if not, we are a pretender.

DD

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

And WTF is with this dude's splits? he is allergic to Toyota Center.

11.2 PPG at home shooting terribly at 37% FG%, 32% 3 P% compared to AWAY shooting 46% and 47%

Home 29 29.3 3.8-10.1 .372 2.0-6.3 .322 1.7-2.2 .766 1.7 3.1 4.8 1.1 0.2 0.3 2.0 0.7 11.2
    Road 29 31.6 5.4-11.7 .460 3.5-7.5 .468 2.3-2.4 .930 1.6 3.5 5.1 0.8 0.2 0.7 2.1 1.1 16.6

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

This team needs a young Bo Outlaw type at the 4. Active, gets up and down, defense, opportunistic scoring, rebounding etc.

Ryan Anderson is a good stretch 4 that can do in 18 minutes what he is now doing in 30-35. He will get chewed up and spit out in the playoffs.

Harrell is no Bo but I think we should give him more PT over Anderson. Anderson is an extreme liability on defense and he only shoots and never gets to the line on offense. Great shooter only = bench player.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

OKC has a great defense, can slow the game down, can present multiple matchup problems, and have a guy that slows Harden down every time we play them. The scores of our 3 games this season have all been decided by 3 points or less. Not sure I'd consider us "lucky" to play them, but yeah, they're probably still the most preferable matchup.

Von Rafer likes this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

That's the way to do it, OP. Listen to this fella here because he knows a thing or two about a thing or two about starting threads around here.

Also, is it bad if I include my dire straits anthem for these types of moments?

Os Trigonum and Von Rafer like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

you know where guys like that are now. They're currently playing the C position all across the league in today's NBA

Tomstro likes this.
  8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Thanks for adding to my sig!

BigggReddd likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The rockets would do better with someone like that at the 4 for 25-30 minutes a game, playing next to Capella. They can still go all 3 crazy when they bring Anderson in off the bench for certain matchups and the quick 3 ball.

10. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I don't think Daryl Morey digs this thread very much.

[​IMG]

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Give creds where they're due homie

Louka likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

capella and another guy who is just as limited offensively/has no offense as him playing next to each other is just a disaster, especially for that long. there's no balance/no spacing and pretty easy to guard. There's a reason why guys like that aren't in the league anymore and if they are, they're somewhere getting limited minutes at the 5. Just like all the rubio's/rondo's at pg who can't shoot. extremely limited effectiveness now and will have a tough time finding a meaningful role on a winning team.

13. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Yeah we saw it last year when Dwight and Capela would play together **** was ugly.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Kinda does though, doesn't it? The reason this season has been a blast is cause we're WINNING. We're 3rd in the west and, at times, have been on pace for the best regular season record in team history.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Love him or hate him, he's still very important for our offense, and most important for the Harden & Capela/Nene P&R which really is what jump starts our offense. Mostly because Ryan has that quick release, shoots from the wing (allowing others to spread to the corners), and hit shots deeper than most.

Someone says something like "well if Harrell or whoever could hit the 3" we'd be set doesn't really get it.

I do think though that if you had an NBA clone machine, and could come up with a young prototype of Ryan Anderson you'd be hard pressed to find someone more similar than Kyle Wiltjer. I wish we had an opportunity to see him play with the core group more to see if there is any validity to being able to play Wiltjer and have a similar affect to the offense. Cause it would make me no happier than to make Anderson expendable to be moved in a trade this Summer.

However... Shooting 40% for the season from 3, at the 4 spot, with a quick release, and taking your shots from the most difficult area on the wing to hit 3's isn't that easy to do guys... but I get it... when he's cold, he's one of the most frustrating players to watch in the NBA.

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Milwaukee bucks fan???

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah our 4 spot is a problem, but he's the best we could do. If you are mad that he's not rebounding or defending, you're irrational. He has never done that and he will never do that and he was signed to the contract knowing that he is a defensive liability and an average-at-best rebounder.

He's a decent rebounder when he's inside, but on offense he is 30 feet from the basket and these days the person he's defending is athletic and rangey so he's not defending in the post that often. It takes a person with insane athleticism at the PF spot to:

1) take 3pters often
    2) defend stretch 4's
    3) be able to go from 3pt line to basket OR basket to 3pt line fast enough to be a rebounding threat

He's done as well as any realistic expectation of him this season. It's not good enough though, we will need to upgrade in the future. I'm pretty sold on needing someone LIKE Millsap now. Someone similar but younger would obviously be great.

We pushed the hell out of 3pa's to see where the ceiling is, and I can kind of see our ceiling now. We've over stepped it a little bit. I think we can have a slightly lesser 3pt shooter at the 4 spot if that person is an excellent rebounder and defender and that's what Millsap is. It will also help Capela to have a defensive vet on the floor with him to guide him and show him how to rotate/switch better.

Still, we won't have a problem moving Anderson if we can't get a better replacement. As long as he is hitting 40% of 7 3pt attempts for a top 5 team in the NBA, his contract will be tradable.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It is Harden's job to find the open man. Him and 2 other bombers in the lineup is actually more balanced. You dont need a "stretch 4" stiff to achieve spacing. Also, you don't seem to respect what Bo Outlaw brought to the table but that's neither here nor there. Shooting 40-60 threes is not balanced and it is the reason for our last several losses.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I know what those type of players brought to the table perfectly fine but you're not really understanding spacing as far as bigs. The personnel in today's league really doesn't allow a Bo Outlaw at the 4 position, especially for as long as you're trying to advocate. I can probably name 3 bigs someone like Bo would fit next to because they have there own offensive skills at C- Marc Gasol, AD, and Cousins. Other than that there isn't a fit. Like I said the Bo outlaws are now playing C basically.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Like I said, you don't need a stretch 4 to achieve spacing. We do not play balanced basketball. We need better rim protection and a more athletic presence at the 4. One trick guys like Anderson are suited more for the bench.

mario_v likes this.