1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE JOE JOHNSON

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsdreamer, Feb 14, 2018.

1. hvic

hvic Member

It looks flat like dekkers shot

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. lionaire

lionaire Member

Mark my words, there will be a playoff game where he saves our asses.

RyanB, DreamShook, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Too much responsibility on JJ for his age. 15 minutes max, for a few threes, an occasional post up, with some defense in the post.

RyanB, hongxingli and RudyTBag like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This.

We need to give him a few weeks to get in shape, and also to get integrated into our system. He looks a bit gun shy and out of place at the moment, similar to Luc and PJ early this year.

saleem, RyanB and Mr. Dominant like this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He should absolutely not be playing more minutes than Moute. I'm fine with him playing but that's just ridiculous.

6. mockster

mockster Member

This ^

RyanB likes this.
  7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I really respect what he’a accomplished in his career, but I would personally rather see our other players iso when it matters. It’s fine if he’s helping prevent injuries and all, but it seems more likely that he may cost us games in the playoffs if he’s burdened with too much responsibility. There are too many outstanding players who have contributed all year. He’s had a great career, but his best playing days are behind him, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Just don’t expect too much and don’t ruin the rotations at this point in the year. I love the guy, but I just hope that he can get a ring and I’m not sure that giving him a role that’s too large for him is the best way to make that happen. Green brought a lot to the table. I’m not sure why that should change.

slothy420, RyanB and mario_v like this.
  8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He had some good moments in the 4th quarter at Utah. That post-up ability is gonna be huge for the Rockets when they need a bucket.

RyanB and Mr. Dominant like this.
  9. StevieCrossover

my only gripe at this moment is joe johnson passing up on open shots. other than that he's ok in my book.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People still griping at us giving him heavy minutes to get him up to speed on the Rockets offense and getting used to Harden and CP3? Unbelievable... you guys are so short sighted. Seriously, what is the benefit of playing Moute or Green more minutes right now over JJ? Beat teams out by more points? Think long term here guys.

RyanB, DreamShook, DonKnock and 3 others like this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

- We are playing him a lot of minutes right now to quickly get him up to speed with Harden and CP3 and find out what he is capable of before the playoffs
    - Don't think what Green (or any other bench player/rotational player) deserves, but what actions benefit us long term when playoffs time comes around
    - Our rotations outside of JJ and Wright are set. Everyone in those rotations know what they are doing, what their roles are. Playing JJ heavy minutes does not change that at all. It does however, help find out what new rotations we can add.

RyanB, DonKnock, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They also complain when starters get too many minutes and the rotations are too short.

Louka, D-rock and Nook like this.
  13. FearTheBeardJH

He is totally washed up. He shouldn't get a single minute of playing time in a meaningful game.

14. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

The rotation could have already been 10 without Johnson, so I’m not sure what you’re on about. It’s Green’s minutes that took a hit.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

This guy doesn't watch basketball

16. FearTheBeardJH

I do, Joe Johnson has no place in the NBA anymore. Don't make comments like that when you are obviously clueless about basketball.

17. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

He is too old at this point. A 5-10 minute player at MOST. Rather play Gerald Green.

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL you're kidding, right? JJ has no place in the NBA anymore?!!!
    [​IMG]
    What a first comment to read this morning after logging into clutchfans at work... ahahahaha oh man!

Look bruh... don't underestimate ISO JOE... his post presence will be HUGE for us down the stretch in the playoffs. He's not a liability because he KNOWS the game. He's not just some scrub that came into the NBA a few weeks ago. Or even a year or 2 ago. This guys a veteran who knows the stage. Hop off... and show some respect. Lol, I still can't believe you think he has no place in the NBA, blows my mind!

JJ needs to play less minutes, but right now it seems coach is trying to figure out what JJ can do/trying to get his chemistry level up with Harden/CP3 and co. I want Green for more minutes, but we already know what he can do. Hopefully we can get Green back in the rotation soon... if ever.

RyanB, Louka and DonKnock like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think D'Antoni knows what JJ is capable of in this system and playoff proven. So he wants to give him time to see if he can get comfortable and find his place in the rotation so he can make us even more dangerous.

But you guys are probably right, I doubt D'Antoni know as much as clutchfans posters.

RyanB and DonKnock like this.
  20. today

today Contributing Member

I know it's a small sample size, but I think I've seen enough after 5 games to know that I don't really want him playing any more than 8 minutes a game, and I'd be fine with him only getting minutes due to others being in foul trouble or being injured.

Maybe some of these things are items that he can improve upon, but here are some deficiencies that I've noticed:

1. Slow trigger - he passes up open 3s, I assume because his shooting motion is slower and he doesn't feel like he has enough time to shoot comfortably. He's shooting 35% from 3, but most of those seem to be wide open 3s. I feel like in order for him to be valuable to us, he needs to be shooting closer to 40%.

2. Ineffective off the dribble - When he drives, he's under control, but he's never going to get to the rim, so he settles for a jump hook which has been inconsistent at best.

3. Absent on the offensive glass - we don't get much action from him on the offensive boards

4. Lacking on defense - while he knows where to rotate, it seems like he's just a bit too slow and when the ball is swung to his man, he's not able to close out and stay in front of him, thus requiring others to help. Straight up one-on-one perimeter defense is poor on 2-3 guards with average quickness.

Here are the positive things that he brings to the table:

1. Good in the post - He has good body control when backing down the defender in the post, low risk of offensive fouls. He usually gets off a close-range shot. He's able to find the open man out of the post.

2. Solid in post defense - he's done a good job in the post for the most part, forcing the offensive player to take a contested (and sometimes off-balance) shot.

3. Clutch - we've yet to fully see this, but he's pretty good at making a jumper in the last 2 minutes of games. It was nice to see him hit both free throws against Utah.

4. Great Free Throw Shooter - Nice to have another guy whose in the mid 80s from the line.

In conclusion, I just don't see that Joe brings enough to the table to warrant more than 8 minutes a game (two 4 minute stretches). Ryno can eat up some of those minutes and do a better job on the offensive glass and taking open 3s (even though Ryno could improve in this area too). I also think that we'd be a better team with Gerald Green getting 10-12 minutes a game. His quick trigger and athleticism can really provide a spark off the bench. Joe just seems to be taking up space.

D'Antoni obviously has some loyalty to him though, so he's going to continue to get 20+ minutes over the next 15 games. I'm hopeful that he can improve, but if he doesn't, then over the final 5-8 games before the playoffs, I'd like to see Joe's minutes reduced to 8 per game, and give the other 12 minutes to Gerald Green.