1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have a good feeling about this years squad.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Feb 26, 2005.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

This years Astros squad really reminds of the 1994 Rockets. Underdogs, no one believes in them, and a lot of young unproven guns. I think we'll lead the NL in steals, and Burke will emerge (if he isnt traded from Camer-off) to be a Luis Castillo type player with more power. GO STROS.

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Well, I definitely disagree. I think they'll suck, sorry guys. Yes, I'm still quite bitter about last year's horrible playoff exit. I refuse to believe the Cardinals were a better team. What is a team to do when the most worthless pitcher in baseball, Imbeceli, single-handedly loses the Astros three playoff games!? AHHHH I HATE HIM!!!

The Astros have done nothing to improve. They lost two of their best three hitters, with one of the three, Berkman, out the whole first month, as we all know. The outfield will be the worst in the majors. They have no proven, good infielders save the shortstop, Everett. Two of the guys most key to their success, it's their first full seasons (in Lane and Burke). We're banking a lot on Pettitte to stay uninjured and for Rodger to duplicate last year's performance. I love Rodger, I really do, I've happened to meet him a few times, but I highly doubt he'll put up another Cy Young performance or close to it. They did nothing to improve an already shaky bullpen save sign some OLD dudes. I mean cmon - a 44 year old Franco! There are so many holes all around the team, it's laughable.

Let's go Astros.:rolleyes:

I'd love to "eat crow" on this, but I don't see it happening.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Better bookmark this thread for later. :)

I think there is going to be a discovery period for this team to determine who is going to step up and who is going to step out. You just never know what can happen as the Astros proved last season. It's too early for me to be saying so-and-so is better. I won't do it.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

r #1 - i'm not thrilled either....but its ROGER for cryin out loud

5. rockets-#1

He's not really a concern of mine. All those other things I stated will be a little dangeroous, I just happened to think of him when thinking about the rotation. He'll still be great, he's the Rocket! We just can't expect him to carry us as much as he did. Man, if only the 'Stros would have played as good in the beginning of the season when Rodger was hot as they did down the stretch. He would have had 22 wins or more easy.

Anyways, one positive thought I have is that some have said the Astros haven't changed much from last year to this year and they were picked to be in the top 3-5. I guess they haven't lost that much because they were picked to finish that well before Beltran was on the team. However, as we know a lot of things had to go just right down the stretch for the Astros to make it with that team. Had they waited two more games to get hot, they woulda come up short. A lot of that stretch run had to do with Kent and Beltran - wait, the guys who had the most RBI's on the season for the team. I wonder how they'll do for us this year...oh that's right, Purpura let 'em go.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

r #1, I think what NJRocket was trying to say is that its ROGER for cryin out loud.

7. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

dirka dirka?

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This thread has been bookmarked.

9. rockets-#1

Haha uh oh. Bring it on!:D Prove me wrong, Astros.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

do i smell a clutchcity tip-jar bet?

11. rockets-#1

Maybe, something along the lines of...

If the Astros make the playoffs, I, Rockets-#1, will donate $10 to the tipjar.

If the Astros miss the playoffs, everyone else in this thread will donate 100 million dollars (holding pinkey to mouth) to the tipjar.

Okay, so I haven't ironed out the second part of the bet yet - y'all know who you are, who wants to take part in the bet? Uprising, NJRocket, Surfguy, RKMAN, anyone?

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WHy would you bet AGAINST your team? By the time the season comes along you will be rooting against them. :(

13. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

I will never bet against my team, even if I know I'll probably lose. Thats why Im not a betting man :p

14. rockets-#1

I'd never root against the Astros. But, I will be reasonable about their chances. I consider the Texans and Rockets to be my teams, and I would never do anything to go against them. The Astros, on the other hand are another story. They torment their fans like no other. I'll still support the Astros this year, somewhat, but realistically, I don't think they can make the playoffs.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

ie - you're a fair-weathered baseball fan.

Awesome.

16. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Now, can you tell me what the difference is between the three???

I know the Texans are new, but what have the Rockets done since winning it all in 95?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..no kidding. stack what the Astros have been able to do over the last 5-7 years against the Texans and the Rockets and see how it looks. obviously the Texans' history has been limited, so that is unfair to them. but having some sort of faith in them above and beyond the Astros is ridiculous.

good thing you didn't live in Boston from 1919 - 2003, rockets.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

r #1 ....say it with me R-O-G-E-R

aside from that, I don't think they will make it either...but Max and RM95 have convinced me to watch some games;)

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I feel good, but am a realist...They do not have the offensive power to compete...The pitching may be there, but they need at least one more proven bat to get out of mediocrity...

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Name a team with proven pitching that has been mediocre.

I know a lot of pieces have to fall in the right place for the pitching to last the entire season... but if Roger, Roy, Andy and just one more guy (whether it be Backe, Astacio, or Hernandez) are together the entire season, and Qualls to Lidge works out as well as it did down the stretch last year... the pitching will be proven.

Thus, back to the original question, name a team with proven pitching that has failed to compete? You can't... because it doesn't happen. Good pitching = wins = no mediocrity.

Bats can carry you here and there... and you definitely need them in the playoffs... but if you had to choose between the two, I'm glad the Astros' pitching is in better shape than the hitting. (which can always be improved with a mid-season pickup... or a minor leaguer coming out of nowhere... ala Pujols or Bagwell)