1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate to be that guy, but Harden's defense..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Nov 4, 2013.

1. muas2010

muas2010 Member

To be honest, I don't think Harden will every flourish at both the defensive and offensive end of things. You look at his body movement/speed and it's going to be very hard for him to ever be a locked down defensive player. For a shooting guard, he just doesn't have that Kobe or Dwane body? You need speed and agility to be a good defender, which Harden doesn't. He's going to have issues with an opposing guard that is very mobile. It's not a knock on him, as his body is great for getting to the basket because he's very strong.

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Clips are a tough matchup for opposing shooting guards. They arguably have the best SG tandem in the NBA as you really cant rest as you are either chasing Redick through screens or dealing with Crawford crazy dribbling. Harden is still by in far the best SG in the NBA....

3. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

lol, yeah I saw that as well.

Reminds me of my ex, you have one minor argument and all of a sudden she wants to break up…

4. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Harden was much worse on offense than defense. Barely tried to penetrate at all, wasted a ton of possessions on hero-ball 3's. I almost threw up at the end of the 3rd quarter where instead of waiting for the clock to go down and get the last shot, he threw up a contested 3 with 9 seconds remaining, which gave up 2 unnecessary points at the other end before the buzzer.

5. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

6. RocketPowerNick

Terrible defense becoming a pattern unfort.

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Henry can eat Redick & Crawford

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

So MaHale benched him

9. landryfans

landryfans Member

Wasn't so much as benched at 4th, rather game already in blow out, no point put him back in, espically b2b tomorrow.

10. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

If Harden played great, McHale wouldn't bench him at 4th

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If game was close, McHale would play him.

let it go, on to another game

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I miss a guy like Courtney Lee. He could have been a great back-up to Harden.

We didn't try Ronnie Brewer tonight on those 2 guys who were hot. Of course, he would have no offense.

13. eomor131

eomor131 Member

Keep trolling

14. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Lazy Harden on defense. He's the main reason we lose this game.

15. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Too much responsibilities is put on his shoulder by McHale. That's not healthy. There is no indication that Harden is the kind of ironman that PP, AI, MJ, Kobe etc are. He is only 24 and is already worn down. This can't be good. The way he draws foul takes a toll on his body. He didn't get a minute of rest in the 2nd half of last game.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I'm pretty sure the ankle sprain vs Utah was the cause. Not that Harden has ever been a defensive player of the year candidate, but he had zero explosion offensively either. Couldn't dunk his break away layup, couldn't score on JJ Redick, minimal lateral movement, none of the crossovers or change of direction set ups at the top of the key when he had the ball. All moves that are very painful to do if you have a sprained ankle, likewise with trying to slide defensively. He deserved to be benched because he was unable to play well, and it was his worst game as a Rocket. But I don't think it was because he wasn't trying, I think it was because his ankle was slowing him down.

In the end it doesn't matter for the result of the game, but if I am right that he was trying unsuccessfully to gut out the game on a bad ankle, that is a different story than just not trying due to laziness or whatever.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

His guy scored nearly 140 points?

18. bin

bin Member

Attitude and capability are different issues.
    Only if he tries...

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Pathetic defense by Harden. How he is rated the best SG while playing zero defense and chucking up 3's is beyond me. Letting Reddick go for 26, I doubt even KMart lets that happen.

I would trade Harden for George right now.

20. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

I can't count with my fingers now how many times opposing mediocre SGs have record offensive games against the beard. He's talented, but he needs to try.

Many times, his lack of effort on defense is neglected because of what he largely makes up for with his offense, but they should not be.

Take a look at this game, which is generally considered one of Harden's best games. Focus however on how he just stands and watches on defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBnhyCGYHEo

1 person likes this.