1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I got accepted to DeVry University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenRice, Jul 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. teknokid

teknokid Member

Place like IBM, Google, and Yahoo probably would not consider hiring someone from Devry.

I might be wrong...

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

hahaha and?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

College is a ripoff but most people need it to get a good job

4. Dei

Dei Member

Why did you transfer to DeVry?

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Well said. Get your basic out the way first, then transfer to a university. Devry is a rip off.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Devry isn't a university? :confused:

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I have an acquaintance that works for a "trade school" like University of Phoenix, Devry, etc...

I think his title has something to do with recruiting/enrollment, but in actually he is a salesman just trying to meet numbers. No different than any other salesman trying to make a bonus or commission. This school is more expensive than what I paid for four years at a state university, too. They have very little regard for what is actually best for the student, and I'm sure that they don't have the resources to hire the best faculty. They are strictly a for-profit business providing a service. I think most of their students just don't realize how much they are paying, since it all goes on student loans anyway- and that they could do better going to community college and then transferring. Though it could be argued that if they weren't smart enough to do that in the first place, they probably wouldn't last at a university anyway. But I digress...

In my eyes, there is no way that can be better for the average student than an actual university. Obviously all universities try to maximize enrollment to keep the cash flow up, but not to the extent of hiring salesmen to recruit unknowing prospective students to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a marginal education.

There are some exceptions, I'm sure. Professionals with plenty of experience that are just trying to add something to the resume by taking classes or adding a degree, for instance.

1 person likes this.
  8. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

What this guy is saying is: DEVRY IS A RIP OFF!

9. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Well today my classes start, wish me well guys.

10. teknokid

teknokid Member

Since you have made up your mind and the classes have started, the best plan is to keep up with the class and make best of them.
    Good luck

11. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Hi! My name is Daniel. May I have your first name?

you: Dee

you: I prefer Daniel but you can have Dee if you like

Daniel: Hi Dee. I understand your concern but as an online representative of DeVry University, I can not provide you with a comparison between the two but what I can do is share some information on DeVry.

you: Why not a comparison?

you: Can I have a tuition comparison?

Daniel: I would be happy to provide you with some information on cost at DeVry.

Daniel: The cost depends on the program you decide on, whether you attend full time or part time course load, location, and financial aid.

you: No financial aid

Daniel: Are you interested in attaining an undergraduate (Associate or Bachelor's) or graduate (Master's) degree?

you: undergraduate

you: full-time

you: what's the cost for that a semester?

you: estimate

Daniel: I would be happy to provide you with some information on cost.

Daniel: DeVry University offers a wide variety of degree programs under its five colleges which prepare you for careers in business, engineering, healthcare, technology and media arts. Which degree program are you interested in?

you: business

you: I feel like I'm lost and need to get somewhere in life.. My McDonald's job isn't paying quite enough

Daniel: I’d be happy to assist you in finding information about our tuition. Also, DeVry University offers millions of dollars in scholarships to individuals who apply and qualify to offset the cost of attending school. I suggest you speak with an admissions advisor for more information. In the meantime you can find our tuition rates at:

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/financial-aid-tuition/tuition-and-expenses.jsp

you: But I have saved enough to start a degree I believe

Daniel: That's great, Dee.

Daniel: You can get basic information on cost from the provided link above.

Daniel: Let me also tell you a little bit about DeVry University.

you: Wow. I don't think I can afford 8000/mo.

Daniel: DeVry University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. This accreditation is held by other traditional Colleges & Universities across the country. You can find more information about our accreditation at the link below.

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/accreditation.jsp

you: that's a lot more than I anticipated

Daniel: I understand your concern.

you: Is it worth it?

Daniel: DeVry University offers financial aid programs and millions of dollars in scholarships to assist qualified students with the cost of tuition. You can find more information about the financial aid and scholarships available to you from the link below.

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/financial-aid-tuition/financial-aid-tuition-overview.jsp

Daniel: You may also qualify to receive scholarships and grants. DeVry University offers more than 7,500 scholarships annually, valued at 25 million dollars. You can find more information about scholarships at the following link:

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/financial-aid-tuition/scholarships/devry-scholarships.jsp

you: Who can get in?

you: What are the qualifications you need?

you: HS GPA?

you: recommendations?

Daniel: DeVry requires each student to have either a high school diploma or a GED. Also, each applicant must be at least 17 years old on the first day of classes.

you: That's it?

Daniel: You can find more information on general admission requirements from the link below.

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/admissions/overview.jsp

Daniel: What is the highest level of education that you have completed? Also, what year and month did you graduate?

you: How will that offer me a comparative advantage over other college students?

you: I graduated Home School highschool in 2002

Daniel: Glad to hear that! You are eligible to apply to DeVry University.

you: WOW!

you: That is so exciting

you: So

you: what does this degree offer me?

you: what value?

Daniel: Let me tell you a little bit about our career services department.

you: I'm worried

you: that if companies don't see much competition at Devry

Daniel: I certainly understand your situation.

you: they won't value my degree as much as one from say.. UH or UT

Daniel: DeVry University is career oriented so you would take classes related to your field beginning on the first day.

Daniel: DeVry University's career services department assists graduates by providing the help and support needed to begin and maintain a rewarding career in their field, or to make a career change. Our Career Services staff works with students on career planning, job interview skills and resume preparation. You can find more information about career services from the link below.

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/career-services.jsp

you: I don't like links

you: I'd rather you provide me the information I need

Daniel: DeVry University offers exceptional career services assistance to our students and graduates. Our staff will work with you on career planning, job interviewing and resume preparation in order to assist you in your job search.

Daniel: Career services are also provided as a lifetime benefit for our graduates.

Daniel: It sounds like you would benefit from speaking with one of our admissions advisors.

Daniel: They would be able to discuss your career goals in further detail as well as provide you with more information on the various opportunities available to you.

Daniel: This way all of your questions will be answered, and we can get you on the path to success. I can assure you that there is no obligation to apply.

Daniel: Have you spoken to an admissions advisor?

you: Yes.

you: I didn't like the guy

you: He sounded like he just wanted to take my money

you: And he could not convince me of the advantages of a degree from Devry

Daniel: If you like, I would be more than happy to put you in touch with a new admission advisor.

Daniel: The purpose of speaking to an advisor is for you to learn about the degree programs and services we offer. From there you will be able to determine if DeVry University is the right fit for you.

you: I would like some stats from you

you: Since it seems admission is extremely easy, how will I gain an advantage?

you: If anyone can do it, what's in it for me?

you: what will set my degree apart from others?

Daniel: I understand your concern.

you: but will you address it?

Daniel: Please allow me a moment, Dee.

you: Ok--take your time Dan

you: do you mind if I call you Dan?

Daniel: That's fine.

TO BE CONTINUED....

1 person likes this.
  12. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

you: do you mind if I call you Dan?

Daniel: That's fine.

Daniel: Thank you for being on hold. I appreciate your time and patience.

Daniel: I understand your concern. However, as an online chat representative of DeVry University, I don’t have access to the University's internal information system to guide you more on your concerns.

you: No problem

Daniel: I recommend you to talk to our admissions advisor for that. He is the best source of information for you.

Daniel: I hope you understand my limitation.

Daniel: If you like, I would be more than happy to put you in touch with a new admission advisor.

you: Well, Dan, to be quite frank... the admissions advisor I spoke to 'pissed me off'

Daniel: I certainly understand your situation.

Daniel: I also suggest that you get in touch with the nearest location so that you can have the best assistance.

Daniel: A campus representative would be your best resource for you.

you: OK--can I request a female rep?

you: I get nervous around males

you: especially about school

you: I feel .. not 'good enough'

you: It's weird I know.

you: But I'd prefer a female if you could set that up

Daniel: Please allow me a moment.

you: OK...

you: Dan? Are you setting up an appt. for me?

Daniel: Thank you for being on hold. As an online chat representative, I cannot guarantee you about female admissions advisor. However, I will certainly make a note of that.

Daniel: In order to assist you further I will need some basic information from you. I will provide this information to a DeVry University location near you, and an admissions advisor will contact you within a few days.

you: OK

you: What kind of information

you: I live in Houston, but I would prefer to meet somewhere up north.

Daniel: What month in the year 2002 you earned your high school?

you: I've never been to that part of the country =P

you: May

you: I'm really excited

Daniel: Are you interested in attending classes onsite, online or a combination of both?

you: I've been saving my whole McDonald's career for this opportunity

you: I prefer onsite

you: I'd like to meet new people--especially girls

you: I'm single..

Daniel: Onsite is a very good choice! Attending classes onsite provides you the opportunity to engage in more hands-on applications based learning. You will also be able to take advantage of our small class sizes which promotes individualized attention and guidance.

you: That too!

Daniel: May I have your first name, last name and email address?

you: Dee Jackson

you: Dee.Jackon4u@yahoo.com

Daniel: Thank you Dee. May I have your address with the ZIP code?

you: Well

you: I prefer not to receive pamphlets

you: Can you send materials to my email instead?

you: I live with my mother, and she will be agitated.. to the point she will throw things.. if she finds out I might be going to college.

you: Our family history is strongly rooted against higher education

Daniel: As an online chat representative, I am not provided with mailing facility at this time.

you: What do you mean?

you: I just don't want mail shipped to my house

Daniel: I need to enter your address into my system to set an appointment with an advisor.

you: So I will not be sent things?

you: Fine, I trust you Dan.

you: 2706 Fulton Street, Houston, TX‎ - (713) 228-1211‎

you: that's my number

Daniel: Thank you. May I have your zip code?

you: 77009

Daniel: At last, what will be the best time to reach you, Dee?

you: I get off work everyday around 5:30pm. But I usually eat my dinner first

you: I don't like to talk after I eat.

you: So maybe... 7pm?

Daniel: That's fine. I'll make a note of that.

you: Thank you

Daniel: Thank you for providing your contact information, Dee. Your information will be forwarded to an admissions advisor.

you: So.. when will they be contacting me?

Daniel: You're welcome.

you: I'm pretty excited

Daniel: Your admissions advisor will contact you within a few business days.

Daniel: I'm sending you a link to our academic catalog for your reference.

Daniel: http://www.devry.edu/uscatalog/

Daniel: Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

you: Again with the links..

you: No thanks

you: I am looking forward to an appt.

you: with a female

you: you made a note of that right?

Daniel: I apologize for that.

1 person likes this.
  13. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

You can say this about all jobs, but if you don't have experience you definitely need something to get that first job to get the experience. Did I need an electrical engineering degree to work in IT? probably not, but I can definitely say that it helped get me the job and start at a higher salary.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ LOL! :grin: Good stuff, DwangBoy... I tried something similar... but made no appointment:
    :grin:

2 people like this.
  15. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

For some reason, I thought this was very funny and laughed very loudly.

16. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Haha.. Yeah, those live reps are pretty much useless..

17. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

19. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Damn DeVry has really gotten strict on their admissions...a high school diploma AND you have to be 17!!

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This is the absolute truth.

#180 Harrisment, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010