1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I got accepted to DeVry University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenRice, Jul 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TISNF

TISNF Member

A really good internship to sell insurance? I mean, it's not terrible, but I wouldn't exactly be bragging about a barely above 3.0 at UT-D either.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I can't speak from a general perspective, but I was on the recruiting team for one of my previous employers several years ago when we were doing a lot of hiring. I was mostly recruiting engineers where this wouldn't be applicable, but we did recruit some accountants and planners with business degrees. I don't ever remember getting resumes from DeVry graduates, but we did get several from recent University of Phoenix graduates. We looked at it as an acceptable degree, and interviewed a few of them, and made an offer to one guy. Now all of them that we interviewed had other experience that we liked. The guy we made an offer had done logistics for the military, and got an accounting degree from University of Phoenix. The perception was that most people with degrees from this type of school were people who worked full-time in meaningful jobs while they were getting the degree, and even unrelated real world experience was worth more than any quality difference between that type of school and more mainstream school.

That being said, there was one school for which we got many resumes that we ignored. It was mid-tier, lower cost public university with a reputation as a party school. The company had been burned a few times by hiring students that weren't ready for the real world at all. There was a company-wide edict that we wouldn't hire new graduates from that school. (I think there were more schools on the list, but that was the only one that I came across.) That didn't apply to experienced hires who had graduated from there and then worked somewhere else, but they certainly seemed to think that the graduates' mentality reflected on the school.

3. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i dont know how much ITT Tech is but i remember a few of my friends who were working with Cisco said that a bunch of their co-workers were from ITT and some were actually making more than the Univ. grads. not sure about their salary ceiling but i would think getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.

4. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Texas State?

5. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I work at Two Houston Center. Agree about the hard work.

Well, to tell the truth I did go to a big University for a year right out of high school. I took some programming classes and gen ed stuff, so I can compare and contrast. High school was too easy and I wasn't prepared and motivated enough to balance a lot of drinking with going to class. I got offered a well-deserved dean's vacation.

GlenRice, your mileage may vary on the career assistance. We did have a couple large consulting firms that recruited our class - maybe four people out of forty got jobs with them. They flew me down to Denver, but I didn't show enough interest in programming COBOL . :grin:

I wasn't interested in sticking around in Calgary, so I came down to Houston and did it all myself. I understand that the assistance sounds attractive - getting that first real job is scary. The toughest part is going to be getting used to the interview process.

Some people in the thread talked about getting A+ or some random certs. I help filter resumes for various groups and I almost completely disregard most certifications because of brain dump sites and the like.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

She's starting from scratch. Her friend is a really good chef from some hotel so she's stealing him for her restaurant. She's going to co-own it with a long time business friend of hers.

I wouldn't know anything about starting a franchise tho. I think franchise is a bit more complicated than starting from scratch. Especially one like McDonald's.

7. Ari

Ari Member

You can just blurt it out, we all know it is Stephen F. Austin you are referring to ;)

And yes, I would not hire anyone from there either, unless they have some other exceptional qualities or experiences that would strongly suggest they were not just using their four years of college to get drunk and fornicate away from their parent's watchful eyes.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well damn. Time to drop out and transfer to DeVry for me.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you in principle but when you are reading resumes how do assess someone who doesn't have a lot of experience? Wouldn't you consider someone with a degree from a university as a factor in hiring?

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's not the point some people here have. The difference between an associates degree and a devry degree is 60 grand.

Goto CC and get in an internship and that's all the strengths devry supposedly has.

13. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I thought this was a joke....did i miss something?

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I guess we all take different paths to make our lives what we want them to become.

For me, it was two universities and one additional local college to get my principal's certificate.

It's Dr. Codman to all of you. :p

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly, I have only hired a couple of guys straight out of college, and it was mostly what they did in their own time that got them hired.

DD

16. Invisible Fan

Wouldn't the same logic apply for a DeVry grad?

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure, I would not care if they went to Devry or not.

Honestly, a degree only helps you with your first job, then it is all about experience and accomplishments more than your education.

I honestly do not put too much into "Where they went to school".....because there are great people at all schools and there are people at very prestigious schools who suck as employees too...

You just got to go by each individual...IMO.

DD

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I would submit that you are the exception rather than the rule. Anytime that I have been interviewed for a job, my education and where I went to school was very relevant. Upon graduation from college, I was interviewed by Texaco and the State of Texas, among others. I wound up working for the State of Texas because I was not interested in the particular function they were hiring for at Texaco. Both of the interviewers indicated that they were only interviewing candidates through career services at the University and that only a few schools were selected for participation.

Not only that, but if somebody has aspirations for a graduate degree, it is kind of important that the admissions committee actually will consider graduates of a particular school.

20. Invisible Fan

I agree. In IT, experience is everything, and for IT, it's usually stuff not taught at college.