1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I got accepted to DeVry University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenRice, Jul 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You must mean that it's more expensive than getting a 4 year degree from a state university in the state in which you live, right?

2. bmthint

bmthint Member

[​IMG]

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My business partner and I have had this discussion before about whether it was worth it for us as individuals to go the route we did. We both got our Masters from the U of MN, I went to Cal undergrad and he went to Carleton College (about $36K per year). Given that we are co-owners of a small company in a rough field our education hasn't translated into remotely vast riches.

Going to a big name school helps but it is no guarentee of financial success but like everything in life you make of it what you will. If I had gone to a Devry I might be making the same as what I am now, although probably not doing the same thing, but at the same time my experience of going to Cal has made me a better person than if I had not.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that is what I meant but the only state schools that I know roughly what they cost off hand is in the Big Ten.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Aren't you a chef? Do you own a restaurant?

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

No, architecture. I worked in restaurants in high school and college and appeared on a local cooking show last year but I have no intentions of working in food service ever again.

7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Is she going to start from scratch or a franchise??? The reason I ask, I'm currently being asked to be involved in a potential franchise of a little ceasers in Humble. I would be one of 5 investors going foward.

8. Ari

Ari Member

Just curious, what was your associate degree in or major field? That seems like a lot of money for someone with an associate's degree, but I know that in IT it is possible to start off small with certifications and stuff and then eventually earn the big bucks down the line since education matters less and experience is pretty much everything.

9. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

This is my life, how far I go is ridding on my shoulder. It's on me, If I don't get a decent job it's on me........ IF I DON'T GET A DECENT JOB IT'S ON ME.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

If this doesn't convince anyone that the OP is a troll then God help us all. :rolleyes:

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Dell, jobs, gates don't even have degrees unfortunately 99.9999999999999% will not be as fortunate as them so going to a good school is good.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gates came from an affluent family. I am guessing Dell did as well. It is easier to become richer if you are already rich.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That haas always been true. The rich keep getting richer everyone else get poorer.

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

And Gates dropped out of Harvard to start Microsoft...

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just a guess, but Behad probably took his route to success back when it was easier to get your foot in the door with a 2 year degree and (something that helps a heck of a lot) knowing someone, combined with that hard work he mentioned. I don't think those with only a 2 year degree today would have as good a chance at breaking into an industry like Behad did several years ago. I certainly know folks that have had his success with that kind of education, but most of them are even older than he is. :)

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

My dad makes anywhere from 50 to 60. He does hazmat. Its rough hours though.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

What are you trying to say Deck? That I'm old? Huh?
    :)

Deck is right, I got into the petro-chemical industry in 1993, after the oil bust of the eighties. I had an AAS in chemistry which helped get me in the door, and hard work got me to where I am today.

I don't recommend doing it this way (well, the hard work part can be applied by anyone). Get an engineering degree and you can get started rather easily in my field. But climbing the ladder takes work.

Deckard likes this.
  18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

[​IMG]

well, maybe not since people are taking him seriously.

19. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

what's a troll?

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Look in a mirror

Deckard likes this.