1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I got accepted to DeVry University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenRice, Jul 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dei

Dei Member

12 years ago the economy wasn't this bad.

As to whether you did get a good education at DeVry: maybe. But simply saying that something's good is worthless. You need to compare their teaching methods to the ones offered by traditional colleges.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Which Shell location?

I make over $100K a year. I got my associates degree from Alvin CC, and I have rode that baby for years. Hard work helps a lot.

3. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

You could say that, I have some close friends that are H.S dropouts and making 75k a year easy. On the other hand my cousin who earned a BA degree can not find a job.

4. ThaShark316_28

Our boy Kevin Eschenfelder went to Alvin CC...nothing wrong with that. Anytime we hear about DeVry however, it's negative.

I can see if you went to a trade school that lasts 40 wks and you have a job (an actual job).

5. ThaShark316_28

*and you have a job after you're done.

6. Roxboys

Roxboys Member

Say this all you want but I would much rather be entering this terrible job market with a BA rather than just a high school diploma.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Man I changed my mind. Imma go to DeVry too!

8. MiddleMan

My close friend a high school dropout, owns his own business with 12 employees so far, while my cousin can not crack the job market right now with his knowledge of how to run a business. Does not make sense at all.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And 99.9% of those jobs aren't good careers.

Don't take the easy way out dude... DeVry is the easy way out, and it'll bite your ass in about 5-10 years when you could be making tons more money doing something else had you went to a respectable university.

10. Roxboys

Roxboys Member

This means nothing. There will always be instances like this but I guarantee you the numbers are there that high school drop outs make SIGNIFICANTLY less than a college grad. But your right , the one example you give is a perfect reference for every college grad and high school drop out.

11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

During the commercial break between the Springer and Wilkos show, I decided to pick up the phone and call the Truck Driving School. I got accepted on the spot. WOOOOOO HOOOOO

It turned out to be a good thing when the Texas Hammer turned down my personal injury case against my cousin for me burning my fingers on his crack pipe. :rolleyes: Now I'm on my way to a career making big bucks driving a truck.

1 person likes this.
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You can never be as cool as these guys. :grin:

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be fair, truck drivers and fast food restaurant managers make pretty good money. Truck drivers can make $70-80k...but they have to be on the road constantly. Fast food restaurant managers make $80k or more...but have to work 80 hours or more per week.

OP, good luck. At the very least, you're doing something. Even if just about everyone in here is right and your overpaying for what you're getting...at least you're doing something productive. Just make sure you finish and get a job quick because you're going to be paying that "education" off for a long long time.

14. Roxboys

Roxboys Member

Just do yourself a favor and google devry fraud or scam. Countless stories of people wasting years of there life and money on these degrees. And then being laughed away when they try to actually get a job.

15. MiddleMan

Come on you are reaching with that statement, I never said every high school dropout will earn more than a college grad, I just pointed out one my friend's success and have 3 others just like him.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

My gf owns a very successful chocolate business, while also a wedding planner on the side. She's currently in the middle of opening a burger joint. She has no college degree. Actually taking classes now.
    all the while, i'm making a tenth of what she's earning, with my fancy college diploma and all. sad face.

However, I know TONS of people with no college degree with crappy jobs with little future.

I guess the point is, it all depends on the individual. Some people just get it. I made fun of DeVry earlier, but who knows, the OP might have a very successful business or something 10 years down the line. Doubt it would be because of DeVry though.

17. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I chose DeVry for the following reason

3 year degree program
    Flexible class hours
    Smaller classrooms
    Hands on training
    Reliable Career Services, people who will help you with your resume and contact
    companies and set up interviews.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The overwhelming majority of truck drivers make half of 80K, if they are lucky. There are some owner/operator truck drivers that make 80K a year, but those are even rare with the price of oil, the recent laws allowing immigrant truck drivers from Mexico. Most truckers make 35 cents a mile and are limit by law how many hours they can drive.

I worked in fast food in college, and none of my managers made 80K a year.

The truth is, it is harder to earn 80K a year than people think

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Those of you taking this thread seriously are making yourselves look far less intelligent than the OP.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually surprised that Devry cost $60K to get a degree. That makes it more almost $10K more expensive than getting a 4 year degree from a Big Ten university.

I always thought the reason to go to a Devry, University of Phoenix, National American University and etc.. was that they were cheaper and let practically everyone in than compared to a university.