1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I felt an earthquake a little while ago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dsnow23, Sep 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I'm surprised nobody has posted yet, but there was has been reported as a 4.0 to 4.2 earthquake in the bay area tonight. I felt the house shake and the blinds rattle. But, not much else. First time I've felt an earthquake in about 7 years. Kinda exciting even though it was small. Any other bay area Rox fans feel it?

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

it's only been 4 minutes. im sure people are drunk right now

3. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

yeah i'm on the second floor in SF and I felt it for about 10 seconds.

4. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

It happened at 9:00 PM pacific time. It happend an hour before I posted.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A light earthquake has rattled the San Francisco Bay area.

The U.S. Geological Survey's preliminary report put the quake at a 4.0 magnitude.

The temblor hit just after 9 p.m. and could be felt throughout the region.

There were no immediate reports of damage.

6. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I was sitting on my air mattres munching on some food and I felt this crazy jolt!

I sat there waiting for the next one and started to wonder whether it would be safer for me to stay inside and take my chances with the aftershocks or go outside and take my chances with the drug dealers, crackheads, and bums outside. :D

Thankfully I didn't have to make that decision.

But on a seriouos note, this is not a good sign. Last month I was in Los Angele, sitting in my room and out of nowhere an earthquake hits. Now I am in San Francisco and again an earthquake hits. Whats going on here people?!

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I am in Houston now but I was working in Sunnyvale (right outside of San Jose) for about 9 months beginning in October '07. I experienced my first earthquake while out there. The funny thing is I believe it hit during the Rockets first game of last season (Rockets vs Lakers). I was watching the game on the TV in my hotel room when all of a sudden I hear this rapid "thump, thump, thump" sound (I believe the TV was banging against the wall of the room since it was on a dresser that was right up against the wall). My first thought was that the people in the room next to me were getting their freak on (no joke). I had never experienced an earthquake before so I didn't know what else to think. There weren't things falling off tables or anything like that. After about 10-15 seconds or so, the thumping stopped so I just kept watching the game. A few minutes later, I hear some dude outside my window on his cell phone telling his friend that a quake just hit. I still didn't fully believe that was what happened because I figured that even a light earthquake would be obvious to detect, even for someone who had never been through one. So, I changed over to a news station and sure enough it was a quake. Kinda freaky to realize what happened afterwards and to not have known what was going on while it was happening. So, it wasn't an extremely horny couple knockin' boots in the next room after all.

I just double-checked and it was during the Rockets vs Lakers game on October 30th, 2007. It was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,306537,00.html

#7 BrooksBall, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. prs325

prs325 Member

Its funny that the earthquake was posted. I was in Pinole (30-40 mins east of The City) and I felt the tremor. We were in a second floor of an old dome building and I thought it was going to collapse. Its surprising that the intensity was that strong :eek:

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hanging out with a few buddies watching TV earlier tonight, and felt the couch shaking. I was the only one who felt it though, so it's surprising that it's only like a 4.2

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Sounds like a minor shake. I lived through Northridge in 1994. Now THAT was an earthquake! Remember, it isn't a major earthquake unless you pee your pants and yell for Mommy! :D

11. God's Son

God's Son Member

only a matter of time til california is under sea i woud invest in an arch

12. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be another lost virginity thread!

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I've been through two of them so far worth mention.

one was a 4.5 last August, and the last one that happened in late July of this year was a 5.4

I was literally in the ocean at the time and didn't feel a thing. everyone on land came rushing over to see if we were okay. there was a coast guard boat, helicopter and lifeguard SUV combing the beach...

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I felt this one in San Francisco. An intense jolt that lasted about 1-2 seconds. We usually don't feel them as much on this hill, but there you go.

I was on the phone with somebody else in SF, but we didn't really interrupt our conversation.