1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Feel Sorry For James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dje243, Apr 18, 2016.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

I yelled at my post players for not sprinting back all the time. No sense in picking up a foul.

If you can't SPRINT back on defense, you need to check yourself out of the game. Period.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Don't know if this is sarcasm??? But Livingston is a guard. Harden is a guard. I'm not expecting a freaking 7 fter to chase down Shawn Livingston. Harden was in position. He failed. Then he turned around to Dmo and berated him. Even the TNT commentator was vocal and was perplexed why Harden yelled at Dmo for his failure.

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

And to think how I was flamed when I said, about this time a couple of years ago, how I'd far prefer to have Kawhi Leonard on my team than James Haren. Last year, after his Team USA summer, the Beard looked like an MVP. I even dared to spell his name Harden a few times. This year, after his Team Kardashian summer, he's back to Haren.

I wonder what, and who, he's going to do this summer; and what, and who, he's going to be next season. I know he's our best player-- and fear we'll never get close to a championship as long as that is the case.

4. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Against GSW in this series :

ORtg

Howard 100
    D-mo 89
    Ariza 63
    Harden 107
    Beverly 88

DRtg

Howard 111
    D-mo 110
    Ariza 110
    Harden 112
    Beverly 114

Seems like there were other more serious problems than Harden's D.

5. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Against GSW in this series :

ORtg

Howard 100
    D-mo 89
    Ariza 63
    Harden 107
    Beverly 88

DRtg

Howard 111
    D-mo 110
    Ariza 110
    Harden 112
    Beverly 114

Seems like there were other more serious problems than Harden's D.

6. fchowd0311

These numbers are very limiting in what constitutes reality. The thing that people don't realize that these numbers don't account for things such as the butterfly affect. From the eye test, there are plenty of possessions where Harden being in the wrong position or being flat footed resulted in a teammate having to cover up for his mistake which leads to his teammate's assignment being left wide open. How do analytic compensate for those type of plays?

7. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

blah blah blah. I can just as well argue how Dwight, Ariza and Beverly played shi**y defense the whole time and hurt the team immensely, not to mention their pathetic offense. Prove with facts or it didn't happen.

8. hakeemthagreat

Harden needs the ball to be effective. If he's not scoring he's useless. We've babied him by basically allowing him to dominate the ball. When Marcus Thornton started hitting big shots, we benched him so Harden would get those shots smh. Aslong as James is here we'll have a one man show

9. fchowd0311

It's the whole chicken or the egg dilemma. What came first? The incompetence of the role players to score or Harden's ball dominating forcing role players just to stand and watch creating an anemic offensive system where only a gifted iso player can score consistently?

10. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Did Harden make Ariza, Beverly, Brewer and Terry to miss wide open 3s the whole series? what kind of psychic power does he have? I'm curious

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He'll opt out and go to LA soon

12. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Houston has the 3rd worst offense when Harden sits

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1/on-off/2016/

101.8 ORtg

only slightly better than 76ers and the Lakers without Harden

a huge 8.3 drop from when Harden is on the court

defensively? not much of a difference.

108.4 (Harden on the court) vs 107.7 (off the court)

We don't play better without Harden, that's for sure

13. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

I can see that happening if Morey doesn't provide him with competent role players next season

14. rocketsmetalspd

What games are you looking at? The guy has no D but is allowed to get away with as much as he can and still is D sucks.

15. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

probably from watching Ariza bricking wide open 3s constantly

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he actually gives effort on D. become pretty respectable on that end. apparently if you're not on Kawhi Leonard level your defense sucks though is the constant narrative around here. why are people even still thinking this guy has no defense. you see it first hand when he plays hou everytime

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't worry. It's always the douchers (and/or the few dudes here who really ought to be on medication) who jump in first. You know that old saying about a customer who is unhappy with service received is exponentially more likely to chirp about it somewhere than the customer who's happy or okay with the service. (There's an actual percentage somewhere about this.)

Harden has top 5 player (of the league) talent but he doesn't have leadership skills (that recent ESPN special underscored some of the reasons that shaped him, but I'll leave the Psychology Today stuff alone) and he doesn't have a good team around him.

You can only cross your fingers and ride Harden so far. Hopefully this is the summer we put the requisite talent around him.

18. fchowd0311

It's so Harden apologists can fit their narrative that one can be an MVP caliber player even with **** defense. They are kind of technically right in a sense since Steve Nash won back to back MVPs but I would still put his level of defense over Harden's. Harden's defense is just on a entire tier lower than former MVP level players with less than mediocre defense(Nash, Dirk, Curry).

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trust me that is ok, I said the same thing about Ginobli over Tmac.

You were right, you know it, be a leader not a follower.

DD

20. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

no factual evidence whatsoever.