1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Feel Sorry For James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dje243, Apr 18, 2016.

1. cmutt

cmutt Member

Harden definitely deserves the criticism he gets. Not only does it come with the territory of being a highly paid, star player... but he's brought most of it on himself by being so unfocused and unmotivated with certain aspects of his game.

As good as he is offensively with the ball and his shooting, he could be so much better.

As good a passer as he already is, he could be so much better.

He has not learned the primary keys to becoming a true superstar in the NBA, which are:
    - near 100% dedication to both ends of the floor, offense and defense.
    - supreme focus and determination to do everything it takes to win
    - discipline in controlling the pace and flow of the game
    - maximum attention to details, shot quality, possessions, turnovers,

and last but not least...
    - leadership, the ability to either lead by words or example, or both.

So Harden definitely has some work to do if he ever wants to achieve the status of superstar.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well I agree that Kobe isn't an assassin, he defers too much. He spends the first half of the game basically deferring and that's not something Kobe or Jordan would have ever done.

He's his own player, a player that last year took his team to the WCF and still produces at an elite level.

The reason I don't get the leadership argurment or that he can't lead a team to success is because he did it last season.

You can't say Harden can't lead a team when he did so in 2015 but then also turn around and blame him for everything in 2016.

Be consistent. Either he led the team in 2015 AND everything is his fault in 2016...

Or

believe that there are many many issues with this team outside of Harden.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Fixed.

But Harden needs to learn that sometimes it's on him to keep his team from being blown out instead of watching them go down by 18 and then start getting aggressive.

4. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

And magically found some of his skills again at the Pacers.

I'm 100% sure a lot of players we blame of regressing would improve massively on other teams.

And sure, that's on the coaching, but Harden's playing style sure as hell makes me wonder if he's a good fit as a leader of a contender.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't feel sorry for him. He looks apathetic out there at times. Weak passes, continuously tries the same thing that keeps failing, poor shot selection, refuses to pass to Dwight when he has position. There are plenty of reasons for me not to feel sorry for Harden. I hope he takes this ass-whooping to heart and comes back strong, focused, and committed next season.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Also, at this point, I would trade Jimmy Butler for Harden. Butler and Howard would be better than Harden and Howard.

7. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Terrible idea. Butler has been dubbed as the 'locker room cancer' in Chicago, and it's one of the reasons why they want to trade him. Also, way too injury prone. Has not been the same player since the knee injury.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Bulls would love you for it.

9. malakas

malakas Member

I dont feel one bit sorry for Harden.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

James Harden is the system. He'll be what's wrong on any other team also. Only LeBron can get away with being the system and he's failed 4 times in the Finals.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

When you are a leader your behavior is contagious.

If you are excitable it is contagious, if you are angry it is contagious. If you play defense it is contagious if you don't, that is contagious.

If you look beaten, it is contagious.

Some will say that Harden is not a leader but you can watch Harden's demeanor and that is the demeanor of the team. Dwight is not the leader and it is obvious because his attitude is irrelevant.

Harden has to be the one to change the way this thing goes. I'm not sure he is the guy for it but that won't change this season, it is his role.

Green is the leader of the Warriors and it shows. That guys is tough, confident, versatile, and determined and that is what is contagious on the warriors.

12. ibm

ibm Member

i feel sorry for the op, and any others who feel sorry for james harden.

13. makman

makman Member

Anybody know if it's true that James didn't take the team bus yesterday?

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

James Harden is a dumbass who scores a lot of points.

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I get you. Another superstar who is offensively immensely gifted and doesn't play defense - Dirk Nowitzki. He managed to win a ring long after his prime has passed because of coach, offensive system, good role players.

It's like Houston is trying to emulate Dallas championship team with all the wrong players, system and coach.

1 person likes this.
  16. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

I think Harden has permanently hurt his brand. That 200mil from Adidas might be the last big endorsement deal he gets in a while.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The Houston Rockets are truly a baffling team and it's these glaring deficiencies and flaws that confuses me. I think McHale ruined this te by instilling a style of play thst simply does not work in the nba. Every play is either a 1 and 4 is with harden or high pick and roll. Or if harden doesn't have the ball it's a jacked up 3 or 1 on 1 ball by the wing player. Like Barkley said they are such a difficult team to watch because they simply don't run plays. They have no structure. No set way to play granted golden state also plays a version of read and react offenses but they have a set way to run the half court offense with dribble hand offs, draymond penetrating the middle kicking it out to 3 pt shooters, and their quick hitters. Their system makes it easy for the players to score. Its so efficient. Even players like spares or Livingston are highly productive in that system. While the rockets have to spit blood to score with 1 on 1 or 1 and 4 isos. Its baffling to me and not hardens fault he grew up in a chaotic system and style that doesn't set up players according to their stengths.

18. dmoneybangbang

This.

19. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

This/

20. dje243

dje243 Member

No worries bud I'm just fine haha.