1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't trust MDA .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 9, 2019.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

any time theres a 4-6 points run mixed with 2 turnovers in a row on the other side you call a TO

PeterKingX and BasketMAD like this.
  2. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Really??

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so that's like some kind of rule written in stone somewhere?

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes really, if it was up to you all wed be calling timeouts every 2 minutes, basketball is a game of runs, I agree Dantoni needs to be better with his timeouts but the importance you guys are attributing to these time outs are just very over exaggerated.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tenor.gif

6. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Whoa whoa did you just mention Nick Nurse like he's done ****? lol The Raptors got cute with their rotations last year as well, and look where that got them. Why not bring up Popovich or Stevens or even Budenholzer?

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

It's hilarious the lengths you and @HP3 go to to defend a coach when there's been plenty of evidence presented in this thread while you guys stay silent.

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

29-4--I think sometime before that...

shvedsucks likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the thread is nonsense, bunch of Monday-morning quarterbackers playing day-after headcoach. Look, hindsight is 20/20 . . . that's why Monday morning quarterbacking is the cliche that it is. You and everyone else in the thread are simply rehashing last night's game as if you could have won it for us if only somebody, ANYBODY, would recognize your basketball greatness. That's fine with me, I don't care. have fun with it. But after a while the only thing left for someone like me is to make fun of someone like you. Don't take that personally. it's just how I cope with the tedium. ;)

fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Look, Im not saying he doesnt have his flaws(he does, they are known) but to act like his coaching is some major blow that is hurting the Rockets is not true.

11. hakeemthagreat

I think MDA'S a championship caliber coach. But he gets in his own way at times. Last nite during the game the sideline reporter asked what we'd do to win, he said something like "well we got James Harden we'll be fine". That irritated me. Yes we have James but how about we incorporate the other guys to take pressure of him. Let's try something different & not depend on Harden ALL the time. Im convinced hes more worried about regular season wins than he does the long run
    Or maybe just admit he's gonna ride Harden's career into the mud

12. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I mean, halfway through that 29-2 run (when they went 13-2 to lead 86-83) would have sufficed. At the very least, I didn't expect him not to call one when we went scoreless in the last minutes of the 3rd. For Heaven's sake, at least do so to refocus everyone.

Lol.

I think what a lot of us are concerned about is that the timeout and players' minutes issues illustrates a lack of intuition or an ineffective intuition on MDA's part with regard to in-game adjustments that need to be made. At least you agree that he needs to "be better with his timeouts." But some of us are concerned that he won't ever be better with calling timeouts. It's always been a problem, and it looks like it's on track to continue being a problem. After all, it's his philosophy that timeouts "don't really help cut down runs." But I believe it is changes to how he approaches players' minutes and timeouts that will make a big difference in how this team functions, especially come playoff time. He's been applying the same approach to these particular facets of the game for years in his coaching career without much success in the end.

kjayp, BasketMAD and HP3 like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

most wins in the NBA last year, a great record in the last dozen games when the whole world thought we'd go something like 2-10 without CP3 and Gordon . . . "without much success in the end"? @HP3 is right, some folks here won't be satisfied unless MDA goes undefeated and wins the NBA championship.

#113 Os Trigonum, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

Did I read the thread , the question is did you read the thread nobody is talking about minutes.

Most are complaining about anything but minutes.

Oh yeah and the rockets played 9guys last night so what are you complaining about now.

15. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Regular season success is great...post-season success is even better! And we can attribute the success over the last 15 games to the supernova we've got on our team. I can't really point to anything revolutionary on MDA's end that propelled us to all those wins.

kjayp, BasketMAD and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

And that is legitimate criticism but not thread worthy.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

You can't point it out because you do not want to.

How about scheming plays for Capela when Harden was doubled all game or placing Tucker at the top of the key to help PJ get out of his slump.

Or how about starting and keeping House as starter during this run, the easy play would have been starting Green.

HP3 and BeBreezy like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Do you have any data that says otherwise??? Its not like Dantoni does things without reason, he is pragmatic, if something works he does it, if not he doesnt do it. How would you even know his "coaching intuition," In his Suns days being gassed was never a question, it was always the defense, and he might have won 2 championships if it wasnt for injuries and Robert Horry. And dont tell me Chris Paul's injury was Dantoni's fault, it was not.

Hes had post season success, really cause once he got here, our offenses have been historic, and weve taken the GOAT team to 7 games, if you really think he has no hand in our offense, you are highly mistaken. The open threes we get, our system, the different Pick and Rolls those are all apart of Dan Toni's system.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Who do you suggest we replace our HC with? Our HC does have his problems but I am thankful we do not have someone like McFail anymore. Look at the Texans, with that "offense guru" BoB leading the way that team is not going anywhere, just be thankful.

BeBreezy likes this.
  20. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Nah, that's not the way I roll. It's mostly naivete. I'll give you the point about House- it's definitely impressive that he was willing to give a D-leaguer starting minutes. But, the points about PJ and Capela are what I expect from a head coach. Those moves are not revolutionary adjustments- the House move is. I'm not claiming that Mike doesn't develop key strategies that help the team. But flaws in certain areas are more hurtful than helpful, and they need to be corrected.

kjayp likes this.