1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't trust MDA .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 9, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Reminds me of AT&T's new commercials.

Just OK is not OK!

Networks, like coaches, should never be just OK.

hakeem94 and DreamShook like this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

MDA complained Bucks have too many big players, and he gave Nene zero playing time

kjayp, BasketMAD and bmelo like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is fire Hinch level stupid thread. Apparently D'Antoni is supposed to get his team to beat everybody, even the best teams in basketball without or 2nd and 3rd scorers. Any loss is just due to terrible coaching.

When you play a bunch of great teams you are gonna lose, even when healthy.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont understand why people want to constantly bury their heads in the sand and excuse obvious and ongoing blunders by MDA...

Yes, the guy has some attributes - but he also has blindspots that you could drive a semi through...

McFail was a chump - and he got us to the WCF... but MDA gets us there and its bc he's so phenomenal...

I just dont get it... I guess denial is more than just a river in Egypt... smh...

5. kjayp

it's not about winning every game... its about running a proper rotation that doesnt require a 33 yo PJ to run 43 minutes... while you got a young and healthy Clark sitting there who played 5 mins, hit his 1 shot, grabbed a board, dished an assist and we went +12 for those 5 mins... but no, lets continue to run PJ for the highest mpg of his career... smh...

its about not running guys into the ground and being healthy and rested for the playoffs - a concept MDA has yet to master in his lengthy career... I'd welcome a few more losses if it was with an eye toward bigger goals...

#45 kjayp, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You're missing the point. MDA is supposed to give his team a better chance to beat the other team.

Look at what Bud did with the Bucks: He made his players shade Harden to his extreme right side and funnel him to the shot blockers. He also made sure Clint was far outside the paint guarding Brook Lopez so there was no shot blocking. This was Bud's game plan when he had a FULL compliment of players against the injured Rockets.

What was MDA's plan against the Bucks? Play Gary a couple minutes instead of Nene.

The bare minimum MDA has to do to win a game against any team in the league is to make sure Harden has enough legs to finish the game. That's it. That's all.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

I know you have your issues with him(and yes I want him to play Gary too) but lets not use this argument, we got to the WCF and were on the verge of beating the GOAT team, its a different situation.

8. kjayp

Look man, there's no winning with all these MDA excuse makers...

Harden has to play long minutes and pull off MVP heroics to win a game... and MDAs stupid short rotations and trust issues are dismissed as "cant you just appreciate the win..."

We lose because of MDAs short rotations and trust issues and its "you cant expect to win them all... and we got injuries..."

You say hey CP3 is playing too many minutes for an injury prone 33yo... and "MDA knows what he's doing - he took us within a game of beating the GSW last year..."

CP3 gets injured and it's "well he had to play him so many minutes or we'd have lost games..." even though we then win with him playing zero minutes for the next 7 or whatever games...

Now he's running PJ into the freaking ground asking his 33yo self to play the most mpg of his career... because "we have injuries... and DM hasnt filled the roster with top tier talent top to bottom..."

Few teams have a solid 10 man rotation of proven solid vets - but they still manage to run long rotations - bc you gotta play the hand yer dealt...

but MDA is just gonna keep running our best guys into the ground so he can pad his offensive stats... then when guys get injured, everybody can say "that MDA is such a great coach - look at his numbers... if it wasnt for those injuries he'd have won it all - oh well, just bad luck..."

i find it unbelievable that people dont see him for the stat padder that he is... smh...

hakeem94, bmelo, shvedsucks and 2 others like this.
  9. kjayp

at least he didnt expect Harden to also cover bigs in the post like he did in the playoffs against the SAS - while keeping Trez glued to the bench... smh...

hakeem94, pippendagimp and PeterKingX like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Im not gonna comment here about the current season, but I just wanted to argue that specific point. Like I said I know you have your grievances with him and I do agree with some of them.

kjayp likes this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There were numerous things which could've been countered in this game.

We didn't counter any.

We continued to do what wasn't working over and over and over again.

I also don't trust D'Antoni when the pressure gets too much.

All we'll see him do is throw his arms around in a Steve Kerr-type fit, but not actually make any on the fly changes.

BeBreezy, hakeem94 and kjayp like this.
  12. kjayp

I just want the man to run a reasonable length rotation with proper minute management - and not run our guys into the ground or injury.. is that too much to ask?

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

lol

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

MDA hasn't coached a system since he got here, which is what he was most known for. Well not in the traditional sense, he's essentially just built an offense that functions around Chris and James. We went from an uptempo team, got Chris, then went to a really slow tempo team, which is Chris' preferred style, but turned out to work better for James too.

I actually thought their attempts to speed it up earlier in the year was part of the mistake, that really isn't who we are, but MDA's adaptation from his pace and space to snail and space has been pretty exceptional.

bmelo and D-rock like this.
  14. shvedsucks

shvedsucks Member

And Harden wasn’t even in his prime yet. U think harden has had a bad roster with MDA? Just look at what Mchale had lol. Yeah u lose some games but the way u lose is what’s important. some people just never wanna criticize anyone on the rockets organization and get offended when someone else does. Oh well lol

15. kjayp

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So what exactly are we supposed to do for those 12-15 minutes James Harden is on the bench?

If he had sat Harden for any longer we would have been down 20 and the game would have been out of reach. Simple fact is that when Harden isn't on the floor we aren't putting a competitive NBA lineup out there. I'm never gonna hold that against a coach.

Harden isn't so great that he can come back from any deficit, particularly against one of the best teams in the NBA.We leave Harden on the bench and get run off the floor, people complain. We play him too many minutes and he gets gassed, people complain.

D-rock likes this.
  17. kjayp

Green/House effect was doing a nice job with the second unit before House got moved into the starting rotation... Rivers can run the second unit... Nene/Clark/House/GG/Rivers should be our unit when Harden sits...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Once again with this trash ass argument against the players on the bench. The bench (everyone not Harden) has been good in just spelling Harden for rest. In this crazy gauntlet of games, since Rivers was brought in, the bench have been more than capable of running the offense and playing surprisingly good defense without Harden.

The bench has maintained the lead, pushed the lead, or at the very worst, lost a couple points when Harden has sat. I'm starting to wonder if you guys are actually paying attention or just regurgitating talking points. THE BENCH IS FINE WITHOUT HARDEN IT HAS BEEN PROVEN.

Have we already forgotten how the bench performed against GSW just a couple days ago? A game in which the bench played so well, Harden came into the game with 8 minutes to go and had enough in the tank to win the game, A game in which BK and Ennis both played and EGo didn't.

The bench has already been proven to play well against the best teams in the NBA. In this Bucks game, in the first half, the bench pushed the lead. Gary was a +12. Everyone's favorite scapegoat, Ennis, was a +1.

I disagree. Harden is definitely that dude. He is that good. He just did it against GSW! (With help from the bench!)

#59 DreamShook, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    BeBreezy, rocks123, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

If we had cp3, he would have exploited it. seems he's the only one with a green light for mid-range... his layup. we would have killed them. it's like having a great running back.