1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I coincidentally watched the movie "Glory Road" last night.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chinese, Dec 2, 2007.

1. chinese

chinese Member

I coincidentally watched the movie named "Glory Road" last night, history repeats itself in another format again and again.
    Maybe someday, NBA will become a universal trust of basketball, someday, teams outside of US might win Championship of the league, but right now, the unfairness to foreigners is still a part of the business. We are witnessing the history, a big man named YaoMing is merely a pioneer on the path of another glory road. He is brave although he is far from best in term of basketball, I respect his response to unfair treatment tonight very much.
    Tonight I may have a dream that " my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character...."
    Let me have a dream today!

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

A little over the top, but I hear you. I had been hoping Yao would blow up at some point. Would have been better if it had been in the middle of a game rather than after the called 6th, but still... that's got to send a message.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if you think Yao went through the same thing black people went through in the 50s and 60s, you need to go grab a book about what real discrimination is. the fact that yao plays in the nba makes the comparison silly.

you chinese fans who think yao is discriminated against need to lay off. david stern loves yao. yao gives him access to a billion people market in one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

I didn't watch the game last night so I'm not going to comment on the actual foul. but yao gets questionable calls for two reasons, big men are always hard to call fairly, and yao is slow. he always seems late on defense.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yao is treated unfairly by the refs, but to compare it to real world descrimination is silly. Yao and Shaq both go through the same thing where they are basically penalized for being bigger than everybody else.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think Shaq has the same dream...poor guy is STILL discriminated against by the White majority refs :( :rolleyes:

I think what your real complaint should be about is general discrimination in the NBA against its biggest giants (Yao and Shaq pretty much now). Even Shaq is complaining about the changes in NBA rules that heavily favor perimeter players now over the bigs. It didn't use to be that way when the league was dominated by premier big men, but the tide has changed.

It's the new NBA rules that you don't like, not "racism" or "bias" against the NBA's most marketable international player. It doesn't make business sense that Yao would be discriminated against by a league and a commissioner who's desperate to gain a foothold in the world's most populous country and its fastest growing economy. It's silly to suggest that there is remotely any truth to that.

It's simple: the NBA these days is more concerned about marketing that athletic bigs and its plethora of multi-talented guards/forwards (e.g. Lebron, Wade, T-Mac, Kobe, Melo, Durant, Williams, Paul, etc). The game has shifted to favor speed/finesse and athleticism over size/physical dominance. Yao and Shaq are firmly in the latter group, and I imagine that at least until the NBA once again is renowned for its dominant big men that will continue to be the case.

If you want Yao to be officiated better, start rooting hard for the new generation of young Centers that might force the league to change its current stance (Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, Chris Bosh, and the rest).

#5 tigermission1, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007