1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am surprised fans feel like we should be contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Why do you guys have such knee-jerk reactions?

We are 5 games into the first year with a brand new team filled with young players.

You know what happens with young teams? They are streaky. Even the good young teams. One night they'll play amazing, and the next night they'll play like rookies.

It's what young teams do.

This team is young in age, experience, and as a unit. These guys have never played together before. Even the Miami Heat looked pretty bad at times when LeBron first came to town. It took them a while to all get on the same page.

My advice is to just relax and let the season play out. Don't be so impatient. Rome wasn't built in a day. This team wasn't even expected to be that great, anyway. Give them time to work.

That is all. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Aaaaaagggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddd.
    Not just the players, but our posters are mainly rookies...LOL.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Honestly, I honestly believed that Rockets fans thought this would be a rebuilding year. I believe most pegged us at 30 wins or less before the Harden trade. So even flipping Martin for Harden, that's what, 35 wins at most expected? Not to mention all teams need time to gel. So I'd expect fans to understand any slow starts. After all, we are filled with reasonable fans who expected us to suck, right?

But I guess I'm wrong. Looks like rockets fans think we're contenders. And losses to other contenders like the Grizzlies and the Nuggets are simply inexcusable. But I just want to say this to you people who think every loss is the end of the world... WE ARE GOING TO LOSE A LOTOF GAMES. So I'll save you the surprise when the Rockets don't win 50 games and beat playoff caliber teams left and right. Because we are simply not that good. Especially to start the season.

4. nono

nono Member

You are talking to deaf people. They won't understand. We went against two much better teams the last two games and lost as should have been expected. By the reactions in the game thread you'd think we lost a game 7 of the playoffs.

5. teebone21

teebone21 Member

people are pissed about the 80 million dollar man more than losing. THis team makes simple mistakes but thats what happens with a team of no named semi rookie players who get scared and forget the plays during the game SMFH

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

this tread is a waste , no on likes watching their team mean high school ball mistakes and losing. Ask bobcat fans how it felt last year

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This is ClutchFans.net. It's what the newbs do, get used to it.

8. mirus

mirus Member

Isn't all sports forum similar?to varying degrees of course.

9. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

This.

It's not about losing or expectations, so much as it is the overpaid players. When you make the big bucks you are expected to perform up to the level of your salary, and it doesn't matter what sport or what city you play in, that is just the way it is.

Lin and Harden haven't been playing up to par so they will be called out for it until they do.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's like people react worse now now that our situation is better than when our team was headed for mediocrity before every good thing happened this offseason (Harden, Asik, Lin).

I think a lot of 10 year olds signed up on this forum after those things happened. Now the quality of Clutchfans has dwindled with each stupid reactionary post.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Are you really surprised though that people feel this way. I'm not. And I agree with you I think it is stupid to think we were contending.

12. JorgePenha

JorgePenha Member

ok we are not contenders

but we are playing worse than women high school team...

13. slowturtle

slowturtle Rookie

We are a playoff team!

We are a playoff team!!

We have the talent. We have a bench. I still strongly believe we will make the playoffs if the coaches do a better job of utilizing the type of players we have and use our bench players better.

Currently, Mchale is not doing so well with personnel management, but he will figure it out.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

we will win half the games of last years team and they didnt even play a full season lol

15. MKL

MKL Member

All sports forums act like this. Sad way to spend a Friday night.

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

OP is correct. There is evidently a serious disconnect between fan expectations and the sobering reality of what the Rockets are in for this season.

17. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

So, you're perfectly ok with your team signing guys to 80 million dollar contracts and then buying tickets to watch them go 4 for 18 with 5 turnovers?

Les has a good business model, I guess.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Why didnt we beat a team that are in WCF contention? everyone needs to relax a little bit. the way were were playing, we should've been blown out. we didnt deserve anything, the fact we cut it to two is beyond comprehension.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im right there with ya.

The Grizzlies are a contending team, that might have the best defensive perimeter players in the league, and their core has been together for almost half a decade now.

The Rockets are currently the youngest team in the league... enough said.

The were lucky to not get blown out of the game tonight, and Wednesday night vs. the Nuggets. These are some of the elite teams you will play in the NBA this early in the season given their cohesion and talent mix.

The Rockets are at a place now where they have enough talent to beat the bottom beaters but they just dont have the cohesion now to hang with any of the top dogs. Thats the reality of this team. They aren't going to hit their stride till Decemberish at the earliest.

If you can't deal with that, please at least try to give some thought and analysis to the board rather than just knee jerk b****ing. Its becoming embarrassing to call myself a Houston Rockets fan when I come on this site and see the thoughtless nonsense that is spewing from the fan base this season.

Rockets fans this season are making DD look like Mr. Rogers king of positivity.

1 person likes this.
  20. Outlier

Outlier Member

It has never been like this here on Clutchfans. Now it's way worse.