1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am so ready for Kevin Love to leave Cleveland high and dry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Feb 3, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

^Bet it was Mozgov. If he dies he dies.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Kevin Love reiterates desire to return to Cleveland

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Kevin Love can only watch and experience these NBA Finals from the sidelines, but even at a distance, he said he has seen enough to know he wants to be back on this stage next year.

"I had so much fun watching it because I want to be in a moment like that," Love told ESPN after the Cleveland Cavaliers' 108-100 overtime loss to the Golden State Warriors. "I'd rather be out there helping those guys, and I saw a lot of places where I could help.

"I've never wanted to be in a game more than that one," said Love, who had never been on a playoff team in his six prior NBA seasons.

Asked specifically whether that meant he wanted to be back in Cleveland next season, Love said, "Yes. I want to win."

Love has never wavered from that stance in his lone season with the Cavaliers, but speculation has remained that he could leave as a free agent this summer if he opts out of the final season and $16.7 million remaining on his contract.

Asked why that speculation remains, Love said, "It's just the way the world works now. People talk so much and might tell themselves a lie so much they start to believe it. From there, the narrative starts to change. I haven't changed my narrative. I'm going to keep supporting these guys, and we'll be talking to Cleveland after the season."

Love didn't say Thursday night whether he planned to test free agency this summer by opting out of the final season of his contract, but he reiterated several times that his intention to return to Cleveland has been only enhanced by the experience of being on a Finals team.

Five weeks after surgery on his left shoulder, Love says he'll soon be able to do a lot more with it. On Thursday night, he wished he could be on the court with his teammates.

"I just texted a couple friends of mine saying I've never been so into a game," Love said. "That was fun to watch, besides the final score."[/rquoter]

4. Carl Herrera

He had fun watching the Cavs lose?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"That was fun to watch, besides the final score."

Read Carl, read. :)

6. Carl Herrera

If he is truly a Cavalier, there would be no "besides the final score" for him.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Celtics aren’t as smitten with Love

Last offseason we told you a Kevin Love-to-the-Celtics trade was a non-starter because the Timberwolves simply didn’t want what the C’s were offering. And Flip Saunders proved wise in waiting, extracting top overall pick Andrew Wiggins from Cleveland for his patience.

This year, even though Love’s path to Boston could seemingly be more clear — all he has to do is opt out of the final year of his contract, not wait out a trade — things have gotten significantly more problematic from a Celtics point of view.

According to all sources, Danny Ainge still has affection for Love, but it’s not nearly the borderline obsession that it was last summer.

Times change. Rosters change. The old flame doesn’t necessarily burn as brightly.

The major difference is that last year Ainge was doing everything he could to avoid the deeper rebuild that came when he didn’t get Love and was fated to trade away Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green. (And as it turned out, the Celtics president of basketball operations was in many ways fortunate to be able to find palatable deals for those two.)

The idea last year was to try to pair Love with Rondo, giving the Celtics two All-Stars, a solid base around which to build, and presenting Rondo with a reason to stay when he reached free agency this summer. So, as we noted even before the Timberwolves got their deal, no Love meant no Rondo.

And from all indications, Love is not seen as a foundational player upon whom to build. Further, sources say his knee issues are bound to have an impact on his basketball longevity and effectiveness.

“I think he wants to be in a good situation,” said one league exec from outside this area. “But I also think he’s concerned about his health, so he wants to get a good long-term contract. I still think he stays in Cleveland.”

The Celtics will very likely wind up an afterthought as Love examines his options in the next two months, but a source with direct knowledge insists the club does hold interest for the All-Star forward.

But where last summer the C’s were perfectly fine with throwing picks and players at Minnesota for Love and then giving him a large contract extension when allowed, they are said to be more careful this time around.

Add into that the uncertainty of what can happen by the end of draft night, when the Celtics have two picks in each round and the potential for major trades. The chance that the roster could be altered significantly is very real, bringing with it the potential for yet another perspective.

So, yeah, when it comes to the Celtics’ summer of 2015, Love is complicated.[/rQUOTEr]

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Love's stock has plummeted dramatically. He's just not durable when the going gets tough is what teams are thinking at this very moment.

9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Timing is everything

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-finalists-how-to-make-a-sequel/

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I still think Love Opts in .. . . big pay day is next year

Rocket River

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ESPN sources say Cavs forward Kevin Love has opted out of the final year of his contract and will be a free agent July 1</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/613773397059870721">June 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. i3artow i3aller

14. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Later Kevin Love!

Houston Rockets prepare for liftoff!!!

15. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Who can even sign him!?!

How can we sign him!?!

*shines Bima signal*

16. i3artow i3aller

:cool:

1 person likes this.
  17. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Would we be able to do a sign and trade for Love since he opted out?

How do we make room for him?

He will make $18.9M so how do we make room for that?

Ariza's obviously traded into someone's exception.

Bye Bye: Pablo, Terry, Dorsey, Johnson, Beverley

Can we keep McDaniels?

Would Love leave Cleveland?

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If Love leaves Lebron is the worst GM ever.

19. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

I think he's going to sign a one year deal then sign a huge contract with Cleveland next year. No chance he leaves - the guy has said he's staying multiple times.

20. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]