1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am excited for next year already

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 22, 2015.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

No one cares. Go play in traffic.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am STILL excited about THIS year.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Obviously I am still excited about this season, we can take the warriors. But I tell you what: acquire George Hill and this team becomes a juggernaut next year.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

just to be clear, I don't think any of us can call Les cheap after this season. According to BB-reference the Rockets only trail Portland and Brooklyn as the team with the highest amount of salary obligations for the 14/15 season. The Rockets used every financial option they had to improve the team, bi-annual exception, MLE, etc... The team is currently about ~11 mil over the salary cap, they are hard capped at the apron and had nothing left to offer but minimum wage contracts at the end of the season.

Until the Rockets deal with their own free agents (renounce them, re-sign them, someone else sign them) they will start the summer about about ~17 mil over the salary cap. depending on how much they value their own free agents, the only two they are in any danger of losing are Josh Smith & KJ McDaniels. However, they can use the MLE to match any offer McDaniels receives or add additional money to what Josh Smith can get from the team.

Using the MLE to sign players can be tricky when a team is operating so far beyond the salary cap as the Rockets. If a team uses too much of the MLE they will activate the hard cap.

Because Daryl Morey has always been smart enough to find ways to keep the Rockets below the tax threshold (officially) some people mistake that for Les being cheap. Most people forget to count the dead money that is not counted against the cap, such as the money they Rockets are still paying Luis Scola.

5. sew

sew Member

I know he has had a nice run in these playoffs, but we still need to upgrade Mchale.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think in the right context, this is a worthy conversation. I've considered starting one but haven't since I already know it would turn into McHale bashing. I personally think he is a good coach but is he the right option to take the Rockets to the next step? I don't know. There was a lot written about Bill Fitch and if he was the right coach to advance the Rockets to the next step after the 86 finals loss.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I apologize boys.

Looks like the Rockets are so excited for next year they've decided to skip the remainder of this one.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Apology not accepted.

I blamed you for the Rockets performance tonight. You and the plane problem.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not excited about this year anymore. And not very excited about next year so much strangely enough.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Rockets are 0-1 all-time in games following this thread made by SamFisher.

Just disgraceful that one poster would ruin an entire basketball franchise in this way.

Think of the children.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I'm 100% all in and excited for this off-season and next year.

Still proud of the team what a year!

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/preYt4ux9sE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine Bev hounding Curry and Dmo doing what TJones isn't. Not to mention, Dmo was white hot from 3 at one point. If we keep our core and some of our bench guys, and Harden only getting better by the year, trading Jones or somebody for pieces we truly need, I can truly see us having our best year next year barring injuries.

13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Seriously, Howard is a big tactic hole of this team. We need players like Green not ISO Post whatsoever Howard.

14. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Les Alexander has always spent the money. It's pathetic to read the ballsack-washers of Morey try to deflect any blame on Les. Alexander has been an elite owner for the Rockets his entire time here. And regarding OP's nonsensical "analysis" of GSW, it is mind-numbingly ignorant. Given Dwight's issues with staying healthy, one can argue GSW has advantages across the floor over the Rockets.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What's wrong with K-pap? I'm out of state and have seen more Rocket playoff games this year than regular season games, but the regular season games I saw included this young kid just over from Europe. He seemed to bring a nice well-rounded game with high energy to the floor.

No evidence of him in the playoffs. What's the story there?

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

McHale happened, that's why. McHale and his stubborn rotations.

Start of the year, Papa was playing well for a rookie, except for his inconsistent 3pt shot. He helped us in some games.

Then he had a nasty knee sprain. Out for several weeks. While he was out, we acquired Brewer and Smith. He was out of the rotation permanently. A sprain during practice further derailed his playing time.

We wanted McHale to use him vs LAC when TJones was playing badly, but Capela and Johnson have played more minutes in the playoffs.

Salary cap issues--we don't see how we can keep him. We'll probably trade him to another team where he will blow up.

Story of the Rockets.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I feel like there should be some solid talent at 18th overall. Hoping we can land a real starting PG.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I doubt we keep him mainly because his contract is a nonguarnateed trade chip. Will probably use it to acquire a player via sign+trade.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Did that same "story of the rockets" lead to a 2 seed and WCF appearance?

Sometimes I don't know wtf some of yall are b****ing about.

20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Let's be real LA kicked our ass in that series they just slept on us in game 6 and got too relaxed. We were not the better team