1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am excited for next year already

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 22, 2015.

1. roksoer

roksoer Member

I hope Llull and Gentile come over, they've both had amazing years in Europe

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Howard/Capela
    Aldridge/?
    Ariza/Brew
    Harden/Brew/ or perhaps bring back Terry for the leadership
    Bev/Tyus Jones via draft

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Curry said this?

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think we're a dead-eye shooter away from being the best team in the league. I don't give a damn what Golden State did in the regular season......what I've seen out of them the last two games leaves me feeling like the gap between the two teams is minimal. If we had a young shooter that could come around screens and knock down 3's and contested 2's, we'd be beastly. Danny Green anyone??

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

As bright as the future may be, I feel these type of threads are defeatist, and really take away from the battles we are currently facing with the squad as assembled.

Save it for after the series.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am excited for the 2002 draft.

[​IMG]

7. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I think you have enough depth (Capela, KJ McDaniels, Nick Johnson, Lull, 1st round pick, NYK 2nd rounder) that you can package some pieces together to try and get a Lawson, Aldridge, etc type difference maker. Then fill in the roster with the depth you have and see how it plays out, if it's not totally working, something will become available at the deadline to improve the team marginally.
    GS has many cap issues, plus the decision if Green is a max player or not.
    Clips have the same but with Jordan.
    Thunder will be significantly better, but not sure if that team has enough (especially with clashing styles of Westbrook/Durant).
    Mavs will be significantly worse
    Spurs are the Spurs
    Pelicans may be a bit better but don't see many ways for them to improve their roster
    Blazers have a ton of question marks in free agency
    Memphis will be relatively the same if they keep Gasol
    Jazz will be much improved over a full season
    Not sure about the Suns

Outlook is strong for the Rockets, although still in the brutal West where anything can happen.

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Agreed. I still think we can surprise this season but the future is looking really bright in Houston right now.

I think we have officially turned the corner as a franchise with this group. This group is not the gutless Rockets we've seen the past few season and at times early this season and in those Clipper losses this playoffs. Winning Game 6 and that series has totally transformed the Rockets for the better. We know we can beat all odds, we just have to learn how to execute regularly and that comes with playing more games together.

I mean look, the Warriors group (Curry, Thompson, Bogut, Green, Iggy, etc.) has been together for years now. Other than Harden, Howard and Jones (Bev and Dmo, when healthy), everyone else on our team are completely new additions. Ariza, Terry, Prigs, Brewer, Smith, and Capela are totally new here and they are playing big minutes for us. It takes time to develop.

If we are ousted this series, this will be the first offseason where I don't think we have to "scrap" the team like we had to do the past two seasons. We have enough talent and identity to compete for a championship, we just have to round out the team to win it now. Instead of trying to land the big stars like we have tried to do the past two seasons, we can now focus on finding complimentary players for the team. I feel very confident about this group going forward.

Some changes I would look for this offseason are:
    Point Guard, obviously:
    Beverley was very disappointing this season, on both ends of the court. Offensively, his shooting stroke disappeared on him for like 2 months and his playmaking is horrible most times. Defensively, it looked like his knee affected his play because he was a total sieve at times. We had to put Ariza or Brewer on opposing point guards because Bev couldn't hold him. I love his fight though but he should not be our starter unless we have a great back up point guard. With his contract expiring, I would only bring him back for 4-5M/year. I'm not sure who we can get if we decided to replace him though. One name that I do like if Jarrett Jack, and I think we can get him pretty easily with the NOP pick and Pap (to match salaries). He would be a great back up for Bev, too. Not sure what is up on the Llull front but even if we bring him over, we will need a real NBA tested point guard to help him adjust. Bottom line is that we need someone else to help James with playmaking. James cannot be our only playmaker and best scorer at the same time.
    Perimeter Bench Guys:
    I love what Brewer brings but he is far too inconsistent to be our best perimeter guy off the bench. His only real strength is in the fast break but he isn't a good enough defender to create those opportunities for himself regularly. He isn't very good in the half court on offense and he gambles and losses his man way too much for my liking. He can be a great 7th man off the bench type player but not as the 6th man. I would only bring him back for cheap, otherwise we should invest in KJ and hope he develops fast. KJ is already better than Brewer on defense and can get his in the transition as well. He needs to work hard on that jump shot though.
    Capela and the Big Man Rotation:
    I'm in love with Capela. He is amazing! I'm so excited for his future. All he needs to do is have a great offseason in the weight and film room and he can be our back up next year. He will be extra important for our future because we have to limit Dwight's minutes from now on. Dwight is going to need to be on a Tim Duncan-esque plan (plays under 30mpg and rarely plays on back to backs) from now on if we hope to conserve him for big games and the playoffs. Capela is going to have to become a legit answer at the center position to back up Howard and even start some games when Howard rest. I think he can do it but I still think we should try to find another 7 footer (aka no more Joey Dorsey on the bench). For the other big man, I think we should commit to DMO as the starter. I love Jones and I would keep him if Smith leaves but otherwise I would use him in a trade to get a point guard, if that is in play. I really like what Smith can bring to this team and I do believe he wants to and will take less to stay here but the team has to do a better job at limiting his mistakes out there. Harden needs to hone him in sometimes.

Solutions:
    1. Trade the NOP pick, and Pap for Jarrett Jack to be our back up point guard and 6th man. BKN needs draft picks and Pap is a salary matcher.
    2. Resign Bev for cheap to be the starter (with Jack backing up). Not sure if Llull is an option. Would love to snag Conley next offseason so I would not mind if we don't find a real solution to the starting point guard this offseason and try to get him.
    3. Resign Brewer for cheap / resing and develop KJ.
    4. Develop Capela but also get another option at center not named Joey Dorsey.
    5. Look for shooters. This team needs more 3 and D players.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is genuine reason for excitement, but Harden is overburdened. A healthy Bev is not going to cut it at the 1. Morey ran after Goran, but he didn't want to come here, and the asking price was high too.

Try and get Augustin 3M 2 yrs. He would be a bargin, and a starter who can play with Harden. And for God's sake stop over focusing on 3 and D. A guy who can hit a mid range shot and make plays/defend is still likely to be valuable for us.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow - great thread Sam - and I 100% agree.

The only concern would be Dwight's knee, not the current bruise but the one he struggled with this year, if that is just a one off, then let's go !!!

DD

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Da Da and Sam, whose Jersey should I buy to wear on game days?

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

every year it's can't wait till next year. f next year. We need to win this year. No guarantee we make it back to WCF next year.

13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

True. The Rockets could be like the Thunder after their finals run.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not really. We haven't been this close in 18 years and unlike the creaking dinosaurs of 97, there's room to grow here.

15. dragician

dragician Member

Howard is not exciting.

16. malakas

malakas Member

I'm sorry but we are one step away from the championship. How can you even get excited about NEXT season when this one is not over? I can't understand this psychology.

17. JazzLakerHater

I really want us to get a quality starting point guard who can run an offense. Beverley really frustrated me at times this past year.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

The West is so good. I'm not sure if we want to approach the offseason with the idea that we are just 1 or 2 players away. We have to acknowledge that we were very close to being eliminated in Round 2. This run could be fool's gold.

I still think we should go for the 3rd star. The 3-star strategy has consistently worked based on recent history. Even if it means once again turning over the roster, we have to go for Aldridge, Love, Dragic, or anyone else Morey thinks can be a 3rd guy.

Despite getting the 2 seed, you can easily argue that the Warriors, Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, and Grizzlies can all have the same or better records than us next year.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm, I think this thread is a bit premature... We're still in the wcf, we still can do something this year!! There was a similar thread when the LACs were up 3-1... No guarantees in the NBA so let's see what happens this playoffs. I'm not ready to go back to our ****ing motto of "next year..." and you shouldn't be either. 5 points is all that separates these 2 wins. Hopefully houston isn't already starting to look at next year...

20. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

This!

It's just like in fantasy sports. You can't have the best in every position. Some positions you'll just have to accept being weaker in. PF is acceptable with DMO/Smoove. PG is the weakest and should be the only one addressed while maintaining our core.