1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am a Muslim! (Myfaithmyvoice.com) - Great PSA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Mods,
    Apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Being an American muslim and living in America for the past 38 years. I have never seen the level of anti muslim/Islamic hate that is being generated as I do at this point. It leaves a very sad feeling in my heart as I love this country with all my heart. I generally stay out of these type of discussions. However, I came across the following grass roots organization that has really done an incredible job of showing everyday "American" muslims in a positive light. Something you do not see much of in the media or news reports these days.

About time the muslim community created such a website reflecting the voices of a variety of everyday American muslims. The message is clear and can be heard in such a positive, peaceful and professional manner. Great job.

I encourage viewers from all faiths and races to view the following website:

www.myfaithmyvoice.com

Attached is the Public Service Announcement they have created:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DImb7jvSbaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DImb7jvSbaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I hope through messages like the one above it will allow the fear and ignorance that is being placed out by the Politicians about Islam and muslims will end. I encourage you to please pass the word along so we can end the hatred that is growing in this country towards muslims.

#1 Dream34, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. droxford

droxford Member

Well, you see, the current presidential administration is delivering directives that sort-of direct people to dislike muslims.

For example...

I don't like the new healthcare plan and I want to have to participate in it. But I have to. Muslims don't - they're exempt.

Another example...

The president cut funding completely for NASA's constellation, meaning the space shuttles won't be replaced and there will be no more American astronauts. Instead, the president has directed the NASA administrator to "perhaps foremost, find a way to reach out the muslim world and engage much more with dominantly muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contributions to science and engineering.

Things like this do not inspire people to embrace muslims.

3. droxford

droxford Member

typo: I don't want to have to participate in the healthcare plan.

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

With all due respect...

This is not true.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/exemptions.asp

There is nothing that specifically exempts Muslims and they would have a hard time being exempt because they typically accept Social Security.

I'm sick and tired of all the anti-muslim and anti-immigrant crap being spread from right wingers. As a American Jew, it is 100% necessary to combat this dangerous rhetoric and false talking points that spread on hate radio USA, faux news and chain emails from Derpville, USA.

1 person likes this.
  5. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Honestly I think it's because of the bad economy, politicians always try to blame other people to get the general mass's mind off the fact that they have no solution to our economical woes.

However I am concerned about the implications this will have, not just on Muslims but other minorities as well.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/niRn3buYYVo&start=118&end=144"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/niRn3buYYVo&start=118&end=144" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> <div style="text-align: right; margin-top: 3px; width: 425px; height: 344px;"><a href="http://splicd.com" style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-size: 13px; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica,sans-serif;">powered by <span style="color: rgb(200, 91, 0);">Splicd.com</span></a></div>

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

like, wrong forum, yo.

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

LOL, link please?

Please let this be sarcasm.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Coincidence that your username is "Dream" and "34", sir? I think not.

LEARN SOMETHING, intolerant peeps. What the best Center in the NBA Ever says applies not only for Muslims, but for everyone as a human being:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/omK7fFY6Vv8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/omK7fFY6Vv8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CvaWJRiVFs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CvaWJRiVFs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yeah, GOVERNMENT should stay out of these things. :(

9. droxford

droxford Member

Respectfully - it IS true.

Although the wording in the plan does not explicitly indicate the muslim faith, it includes the muslim faith, along with Christian Scientists and the Amish. I'll grant that it is questionable whether muslims will or will not be exempt.....

... but my point is that things like this being delivered by our current administration to not encourage public camaraderie with muslims.

10. ChievousFTFace

You are correct!!

Damn that religious group...
    [​IMG]

Damn those communists...
    [​IMG]

Damn those immigrants...
    [​IMG]

The uneducated masses are being swayed today as they were in the past. History, unfortunately, does repeat itself.

I'm looking at you...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Qball

As a Muslim, I will say that there is no way in hell we will be exempt nor should we be.

As a matter of fact, nobody should be exempt I don't care what religion you associate yourself with imo.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

When you base your paradigm on false information, and fail to revise your paradigm when presented with factual information, you have no one to blame except yourself when you are perceived negatively.

Have you gone to the link?

13. droxford

droxford Member

For the exemption, the phrasing of the bill is as follows:

Because many muslims consider health insurance haraam there is question as to whether or not they will be exempt.

Now, as far as the thing with NASA is concerned, you can hear it from the NASA administrator's mouth (at the 1:11 mark).

14. ChievousFTFace

Considering that we are in the Hangout, we will keep this friendly :)

We can all agree that Islam has a huge image problem in this country. We can also agree that there is unfair hatred and ignorance being spewed at peaceful, law abiding, tax-paying citizens... some of which serve in our armed forces.

The image problem got worse recently when you had the creators of South Park getting death threats over drawing Mohammad in a bear suit. If you followed the facebook page for "draw Mohammad day" you would have seen that what started off as people standing up for freedom of speech ended up turning into twisted Islamaphobia. Death threats over a cartoon isn't right and neither is hating a religious group.

You were the first to comment on the first post with your Muslims are exempt from healthcare... You ONLY said Muslims... instead of pointing out the fact that specific branches of CHRISTIANITY were more likely to be exempt than Muslims.

Your second argument in the first post had to do with cutting NASA budgeting and reaching out to the Islamic world to make them feel good... Can you please explain your logic?

I'm sorry, but your post is more of a stab at Obama and Muslims than it is at discussing what the original topic is.

We need to hear the voices of moderate muslims who come out against extremists. We will find that we have more common ground and a common fight.

15. Qball

What about auto insurance? Why aren't Muslims exempt from that? Are you seriously going to say MANY muslims consider it haraam based on one guy's interpretation of what Islam thinks about insurance.

In response to criticism, White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said in a statement that “The President has always said that he wants NASA to engage with the world’s best scientists and engineers as we work together to push the boundaries of exploration. Meeting that mandate requires NASA to partner with countries around the world like Russia and Japan, as well as collaboration with Israel and with many Muslim-majority countries. The space race began as a global competition, but, today, it is a global collaboration.”

^ Ya shame on people for trying to include a Muslim country(s) for an international space exploration initiative. And shame on the govt for using something other than war to interface with Muslim countries.

16. droxford

droxford Member

I absolutely intend to keep this friendly

Yup, I'll agree with all of that.

True, but my point was not to give speeches about that specific bill. I was just using that as a simple example of why there would be so much anti-muslim sentiment. Same with the NASA example. Certainly, if we were talking about Christian scientists, I would cite the same example for the same reasons.

My point on this is that Americans like me don't like to hear that the president has cut funding for NASA and there won't be a replacement for the space shuttles..... and then hearing the NASA administrator has received instruction directly from the president that his foremost priority is to "reach out to the muslim world" and make them "feel good."

It is certainly a dig at our current government - that's my entire point. Our current government is greatly damaging the muslim image.

I did not give any examples of extremism - my examples are from the US government.

Thank you, again, for keeping this a friendly discussion!

17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

This makes a lot of sense and isn't contradictory with itself like most xenophobic comments!

:rolleyes:

In other news, this thread needs to be moved. Sad that a Muslim-empowerment thread turns into a debate, though.

18. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

While I totally agree with you on an influx of anti-muslim rhetoric lately, the immigration stuff is different. It isn't about immigrants, it's about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. While I totally understand and do not blame the good citizens from wanting to leave a bad situation, it is still illegal.

19. droxford

droxford Member

I don't know anything about how the laws have been phrased for auto insurance and who is/isn't exempt from them. I'm saying that the health care bill has that religious exemption stuff in there, that many muslims consider it a haraam, and it may be possible that they are exempt from it.

...except that NASA administrator Bolden didn't say that Obama instructed him to prioritize on working with "the world's best scientists". He said that he was instructed by the president to "find a way to reach out to the muslim world and engage much more with dominantly muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contributions to science and engineering"

20. droxford

droxford Member

Well, there's a difference between explicitly indicating something/someone specifically and making a broader statement that has inclusions. There was no contradiction.