1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I actually went to the game and saw Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowblow11, Aug 17, 2002.

1. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

great post snow!!!

I think he has been watching some Rocket game tapes, because he appeared to be more aggressive than when I saw him a couple years ago.

also, Rockets will coach many things in him in the first couple weeks like boxing out......it will take time, but we should see improvement instantly. This kid is so promising......really cool.

We all have to remember, he has had minimal coaching and really has not been a started on the International team until last year......Wang and Bateer started ahead of him until last year....so this guy is just now getting comfortable with this stage....

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see how the Rockets' guards pass now that there is a big man to throw the ball.

3. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

hate to rain on ya parade but their center was 6'6", which is a FOOT shorter than Ming!!! Ming should've dominated more so even if his guards were that bad. I'd hate to see Ming go up against almost any power forward muchless a center. I guess we'll see in the nba season.

4. redao

redao Member

How would Yao Ming dominate more on that 6'6" guy? Send him to hospital?:D

5. aznlincolnpark

wow :eek: i was impressed dat yao attempt a charge and knock the player to the ground for one minute :p..

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

snowball,

thx, that's an almost identical report to the Rox beat writer who was there. You nailed it in agreement with Feigen. Well done.

7. guest

guest Member

wow.. I see a little bit of "shaqness" in Ming....
    :D

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You hate to rain on our parade but you have something bad to say about Ming?

Have you ever written anything positive about Ming? You are the individual who swears that Ming's gonna be worthless and won't get along with Francis and etc etc etc, right?

So, actually, you get off raining on our parade.

What we'll see in the NBA season is a 21 year-old rookie center playing hard, showing some skills but often having a rough time of it because he's wearing a huge target, a symbol that basically says, "I'm the #1 pick, make me look bad" and "I'm the #1 pick, I'm carrying the easily-bruised pride of 1.3 billion people on my narrow shoulders."

That same symbol will say, in a couple years, "What goes around comes around."

But of course when he doesn't score 20 pts and grab 10 boards and swat 5 shots and toss 5 assists in his first NBA game, all the naysayers will jump out and say, "See? He's a bust. Waste of a #1 pick. I TOLD YOU SO."

9. aznlincolnpark

Yao ming will play a better game with the Rox's players.... Don't blame yao for the lost, blame his coach.....:p

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Looks like the Rockets and the Chinese national team have something in common, at least Ming will be used to covering for poor defensive guard play.

:D

DaDakota

11. CT10

CT10 Member

I was at the game too. (Sec 113, Row 1, Seat 1)

I was impressed with Yao's 'laziness'. He doesn't really make much of an effort in jumping for the rebounds, or jumping to block shots.
    He was really slow running up and down the court.
    He also got outjumped during the tip-off by the Canadian center.
    He also was scared to shoot the ball. There was a couple of times when Ming got the ball around 15-20 feet out, and did NOT shoot even if he had the open look.
    There was also a fast break play, where Ming could have easily dunked the ball, but he decided to wait, and draw the foul when the defender was running back up the court trying to guard him.

ANd like SnowBlow said, he didn't attempt any 3 point shots in the game, and during the pre game warm ups.

12. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Oh you didn't have to be defensive and tell us your seat number. We have not started questioning your honesty afterall, or should we? No one would ever be able to know if you were actually the guy sitting there in that game or you have just make up that seat number anyway. :D

By the way, if you are really that eager to make people believe what you say, learn the Rockhead's rule. Bring a digital camera with you next time. Take a picture of yourself sitting on that seat (somehow the seat number can be seen). That would definitely give you more creditability. By the way, you have registered a screen name (or more likely a new screen name) to just say that?

#32 RocketForever, Aug 18, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2002
  13. hardeji

hardeji Member

CT10 and Snow,

Gimme your best shot here.......

Each of you post your Ming forecast for YEAR 2 as a Rocket:

(ex. 20 ppg, 10 rbs, 5 blks)

14. CT10

CT10 Member

Nah, if you check my profile, I registered on July 3, but I made my first post today.
    I've mainly been reading this forum instead of posting on it.

BTW, I don't have a digital camera, but I could scan my ticket if you wanted me to...

hardeji:
    Year 2? I have no idea, it depends on if he's willing to take the open 17 foot jumpers, and if he gets stronger or not.

I'd say he'll average 11 ppg, 7 rpg and 2 blocks during his 1st season in the NBA.

15. because24

because24 Member

This started off being a really good post and it still is but some of you start hating about other things. I'm happy that we have Yao, and I believe he will improve the Rockets where improvement is needed. Dakota, stop hating on the Rockets guards; I could go on and on why, but you could go on and on about flaws in your own opinion and vice versa.:cool:

16. Panda

Panda Member

Man I'm getting more and more excited about Yao. I mean if Yao is as lazy as you said, yet still managed 5 blocks. He'd be averaging 5 blocks if he's remotely agressive.

Even that biased reporter admitted that the tip-off was due to a bad toss up by the ref.

That's all I know on the game.

17. aznlincolnpark

Rox will be a better team in light years...:D

18. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Hey man thanks for the inside report on Ming all we get around here on b-ball is how he was pushed around by smaller people

Rudy T is the best thing for Ming and will make him into The Dynasty:D

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Boffo!!!

Ming seems...so 'human' for a stud. Go, Bing. I mean, c'mon down!!!:)

20. Live

Live Member

Good recap and analysis.

Like every other rookie, Ming needs to learn to 'bring it' all game, every game. Regardless of what we may think of the quality of play\talent in the NBA right now, they do play hard on every possession.

He's a little 'lazy' right now since he's usually been the best player on the court, i.e. he doesn't have to be on top of his game to dominate.

Once he makes the transition that all rookies have to make, regardless if they're from Duke, Europe, or HS, and acclimates himself to the speed and intensity, he'll be just fine.