1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] Peyton Manning, Ryan Mallet or Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Jan 12, 2015.

?

Which QB would you prefer?

1. Peyton Manning

71.0%
  2. Ryan Mallett

17.7%
  3. Draft a QB

11.3%
  1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

There's always a chance, but with him coming off an injury I would seriously doubt it.

2. dragician

dragician Member

Peyton is the perfect fit for Texans.

And Texans is the perfect fit for Peyton.

Get it dun Murray!@#$%.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Texans need to keep improving and dont do anything silly like trade away talent or blow the cap to get Manning, hes done. Sign Mallett, let Savage develop and if you get a steal in the draft by all means draft a qb if not we have many other positions to fill. If somebody (which is a real possiblity) swoops in and steals Mallett away from us then ya may have to consider Peyton for a year.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

You're the biggest joke on this site. Not really a close second.

Folks, this guy is one of the same loud bozos who was fervently against the Texans signing Peyton Manning 3 years ago, because, well, Matt Schaub was better of course!

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6586626&postcount=145

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6586680&postcount=154

Plenty more where those came from. Read the thread. It's a hoot.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Nobody is going to give him crazy guaranteed money IMO, and I think he'd be wise to stay here in this system and try to build a career that can really get him paid in a couple of years.

Count me in the crowd that thought it was a bad idea then, and would definitely consider it now. Different scenario. Back then we were coming off of the best season in franchise history with a QB that was already under contract. Nobody knew Peyton's long-term outlook. In hindsight, yes, we would have benefitted, but at the time that would have been taking a huge risk and potentially destroying what we thought might be a Super Bowl contender had Peyton not fully recovered.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Great. You were wrong then. Very, very wrong. Sorry. It's only hindsight to you. That's your cop-out and your inability to admit how asinine it was to prefer Matt Schaub to Peyton Manning.

Don't tell people who understood that taking a chance on Peyton Manning was always (OBVIOUSLY) a better decision than rolling with Matt Schaub, that it was only better in "hindsight". You were simply very wrong.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Thomas and Decker were already great players even with Tebow as a QB, thats why Peyton picked Denver, they already had a good team, with those two as WRs, I remember people saying that Thomas and Decker were already good with Tebow as a QB, imagine that his stats would blow up with Manning as a QB.

D. Thomas had that huge catch in the playoff game against the Steelers.
    and the RBs with Peyton didnt got huge numbers, just because he barely ran the ball, until the last 8 games of this season.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Thomas:

2011 - 32 receptions, 551 yards, 4 tds

2012 - 94 receptions, 1434 yards, 10 tds

Decker:

2011 - 44 receptions, 612 yards, 8 tds

2012 - 85 receptions, 1064 yards, 13 tds

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

LOL. Not sure why I ever took you off ignore, but humor us and find me a post where I ever said Matt Schaub is better than Peyton Manning. Go ahead, give it a shot. It will probably keep you occupied until the end of time, because I never said it... and rightly so, because I think Peyton Manning is the best QB who ever played.

There's only a few things left to say about the Manning ordeal:

1) We know now, given JJ and Peyton's contracts, that they never could have existed together on the same team. So, that's quite the conundrum to chew on.

2) We know now that Peyton was/is 100% healthy, that basically destroys all the hypotheticals and opinions anyone had at that point because a huge part of the doubt was over his health.

3) We also know now that Peyton, even with a fairly talented Denver team, didn't manage to win a Superbowl. So, all the blowhards like yourself, ubigred, etc, who wanted Schaub thrown overboard (regardless of the year or his replacement) because he couldn't get us a Lombardi... well, that hard-line stance on QBs (championship or bust), to this point, has come to bite you in the ass.

I will (and have) rightfully admit I was wrong about Schaub. He shat the bed like no QB has ever shat the bed before him. Would I go back and fire Kubiak and cut Schaub to sign Manning? Most likely, yes (although I might end up regretting it if Watt walked and we didn't have a ring to show for it), but you don't have to re-write history or put words in people's mouths. That's just plain weak.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lay off of Donny, he's suffered with this team long enough.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Clearly. :)

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Why does Manning get the Texans to the Super Bowl when he couldn't get the Broncos there?

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Decker actually caught 8 tds with Tebow at qb?? That's more impressive than that ridiculous contract the Jets gave him.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He doesn't... not now, and likely not in 2012 either.

The 2012 Broncos and 2013 Super Bowl Broncos were better teams than what the Texans had.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There is no wrong or right in this.

Manning had a severe injury. The only people that can look back and laugh at those that didnt want Manning are the ones that didnt truly understand the extent of the injury that Peyton was dealing with. There is no way you could look at that situation and know that Manning was going to be alright. There is just no way to know...you could definitely take a gamble, but it was very far from a sure thing.

When you bring the Texans into the mix...they had zero cap space and a top 5 offense at the time. In order to accommodate the signing of Manning, there would have to be significant cuts that would have brought the talent level down quite a bit. So now, you're working with a less talented team in order to bring in a player to replace the QB of an already superb offense. Nobody could see that the offense, after 5 years of stellar production, would start it's downward spiral.

Lot's of "what ifs" involved, so it's kind of silly to look back and laugh at those that didnt want Manning at the time. Not one person that truly understood the injury could have been confident that Manning would return to form. The only people that thought Manning was a no brainer signing are the ones that need to take a biology/human physiology course to understand how nerves work and what kind of impact a neck injury can have on the rest of the body.

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Yes Manning played poorly and was injured. All that means is he isnt good enough anymore to play well through injury. But i would still take a healthy Manning today over anyone we have on the roster.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He got them to the Super Bowl last year and didn't this year because he was apparently playing hurt for the last few games.

If he could take us as far as the AFC Championship game, that would be farther than any Houston football team has been in the last 37 years.....

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Manning is not going to be available. But if he is, what the hell do we have to even think about not bringing him in. Do poeple really think that anyone we have is better than current day manning? Yes manning is miles below his prime, but we havent had anyone ever that is even close to the worst manning will ever be. Even supposed broken down horrible manning made the playoffs with a by while the texans were watching from home. So it is very strange to see people even shooting down a hypothetical manning aquisition.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Those silly Broncos execs didn't truly understand that injury and need to take a biology/human physiology course to understand how nerves work and what kind of impact a neck injury can have on the rest of the body.

(Or they simply evaluated him and saw that he was going to be fine/close enough to fine to understand the risk/reward of signing possibly the best qb of all time.)

And quit bringing salary cap into the mix. It's safer to assume that enough re-structuring + pay-cuts would have been made to enable him to sign here than it is to lazily argue that the salary he is receiving by the broncos is the exact same deal that we would have had to give him if he were to play here. Peyton wanted to be a Texan, the Texans (and many WRONG posters in that thread) wanted Matt Schaub over Peyton Manning.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why are you being so aggressive towards posters who don't agree with your take? Is this how you debate in real life? Peyton was severely injured (enough to miss an entire season, and enough for the Colts to let him walk away), and the Broncos were willing to take a risk because they had a Super Bowl caliber roster with no quarterback. Using your Broncos logic, are you saying that the Colts DIDN'T assess him? They just assumed that their franchise quarterback was obviously never going to play again, and chose to tank the season instead? Come on. It was a massive risk taking on Manning. One that, for the most part, worked out nicely for the Broncos, but certainly not anything you can definitively point to and say, "I KNEW IT ALL ALONG!"

The Texans, OTOH, had a Super Bowl caliber roster with a starting quarterback would had led them to 8-3 the previous season, and was still under contract. And while restructuring was a possibility, you would be talking about asking Brian Cushing, Arian Foster, AND Andre Johnson most likely having to rework their deals. And that's making no mention of J.J. Watt. So while yes, hindsight says Peyton would have been great here, there's no guarantee about anything.

Right now though, I'd love to have Peyton on this team.