1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical Kevin Durant Scenario

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball1217, Jul 9, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think if Dwight demands the super max and KD agrees to come here Morey would (or should) let him go. 30M for old Howard, no thanks lol

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone. And it does look like the OP put in a good amount of well-thought out work into this.

The only problem is- I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that the roster that the OP is looking at now will be completely different than the actual roster that we have next offseason. Morey might make a trade or two in the remainder of this offseason. He almost 100% certainly will make a trade or two at or around next trade deadline. We can speculate all we want now but it is impossible to know what kind of situation the roster will be then. Maybe Dwight Howard will opt out of his contract to try to get one last long-term big money deal? Or maybe he struggles with injury all season long and wouldn't be able to make as much money so he opts into the last year?

We don't know what kind of roster changes we would have to chase Durant. We don't know what the roster will be like. Shoot.. what if Durant's foot doesn't heal correctly and he has another injury plagued season? Would teams still be willing to offer him the full max contract then? There are about a thousand unknowns between now and then.

One thing that I do know is that Morey will be able to find some way to create max space if there is a max free agent that wants to come here. He will pursue every player possible to improve our team, even if it is a 'longshot' like LMA was this year. And, assuming he is healthy, Durant would definitely be a way to improve our team.

3. basketballholic

It's not that simple. Dwight is still the most elite rim protector in the NBA. Without him and with KD we still aren't going anywhere. IF you're gonna let him walk you've got to get 95+% of what he gives you from somewhere. So gotta figure that out in any Let Dwight Walk scenarios.

(This is one reason why I'm an advocate for signing Boban Marjanovic to a cheap free agent deal. Dude is 7'4" with a standing reach close to 9'10". He's worth a look on a minimum salary deal for a couple seasons.

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Part of the reason Durant would come here in the first place is because of Harden and DWIGHT..... not just because of Harden.

Dwight will most likely opt out of his deal in order to get the security of more years because of his age. I also think that he would be inclined to take a pay cut, because I don't think any team in the NBA will be ready to dish out $30mil to a injury prone and aging Dwight. Dwight is still prolly the best Center in the league, but that is just a whole lot of money to play Dwight given his history.

Also this becomes hard if we trade for the likes of Ty Lawson, but I think the addition of Lawson and staying healthy puts us over the hump and into the finals this year. This Rockets team is really close, I mean if weren't injured I could see us winning 60+ games last year, and possibly beating the Warriors, but thats a story for another day.

Lastly we will have dilemma on our hands. Salary Dumps would be easy next year as we have guys that are on super value contacts and can still play NBA basketball at a high level, the problem will come in determining who to ship out and who to keep. I am most likely going to be against renouncing the right of Dmo, but that would be something we will have to do in order to create the Super Max slot for Kevin Durant.

Even if Durant doesn't come, we have a really bright future and will have a good amount of cap space to make things happen. Rejoice ROCKETS fan the future is bright, and the glory days are very near. :grin::grin::grin:

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i'd like to see something along the lines of a 3 team trade that gets us Collison even if it sends Lawson to Sacramento (they seem to have this thing with running 2 centers, a wing and 2 pgs, don't ask me, it's Vivek, that dude is crazy and Karl would likely push for Lawson)

6. pippsux

pippsux Member

We aren't getting him.
    We don't recruit well and Durant ain't coming to sidekick one if his former sidekicks.
    He either stays in okc or I see him going to the wiz.

7. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Either he comes or he doesn't. Only two scenarios I see

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

last year melo stayed in nyc. bosh stayed in miami. this year deandre jordan stayed with the clippers, gasol with the grizzlies.

only LMA left to go to the spurs.

two of those guys are centers and we obviously didnt try to sign them. bosh was almost here. but he had just went to the finals 4 years in a row and won twice. so he took the extra year and way more money (along with no state income tax in florida just like texas)

i think the rockets have a great chance with durant. i think the thunder have to lose in the playoffs this year and hopefully it wont be the rockets that have to do it, and it will be some other team.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Disciple I'm not upset. I was (just as you are and the others I was responding to) giving my opinion on their opinion of another persons post. My opinion is if you don't want to talk about it, then why post? Let the people who want to talk about it, talk about it. If it's a waste of time how does it bother anyone? There's a separate thread for the discussion. Let me be clear I'm not trying to come down with a hammer here. Just saying I don't understand why posters make comments like these. Maybe I'm missing something so please let me know if I am so I can understand better. It just seems a little controlling to suggest what people should or shouldn't discuss.

#29 Rox>Mavs, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  10. rullrich

rullrich Member

Wall/Beal and being home is more attractive than playing out your prime with a guy you already know you can play with and a top 5 center?

Please...Wiz have to do something dramatic to get KD there. He's worse off in both OKC and DC than with us and it's not that difficult to notice. Both already peaked and are struggling to stay relevant - we're just hitting our stride.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

OKC already peaked? Is that because they missed the playoffs last season, you know, the season that Durant missed over half of it?

I think Houston would be a better situation with him than OKC is with him. But I'm also a biased Houston fan. Trying as best as I can to look at it objectively, how much better is Harden, Howard, Beverley, Motiejunas, Ariza (and we might lose some of them for cap space if we did sign Durant) compared to Westbrook, Ibaka, Adams, Kanter (if they match?), Waiters, Augustin?

12. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I thought as long as Howard opted out we'd have room to sign him then go over the cap the resign Howard..... Is this not true?

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Durant isn't leaving OKC

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes he is. OKC isn't loyal and isn't willing to spend the money to win proven by trading away the best SG in the league and KDs best friend for a bag of chips.

15. LandryMegaBeast

would be interesting to see how this would work out with dwight opting out (which he is about 99.9% going to do). what would his max number look like?

16. dram1

dram1 Member

These guys...Dwight, James, and Kevin would have to get together and say...ok...if we really want to play together, we can't all get maxed out and be able to put good pieces around us...ala...Miami's Wade, Bosh, and James. So yes...I agree with those posters that say he absolutely has to want to come here not only to agree to trades, but also to compromise with the incumbent stars.

17. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

Durant don't like Howard but is best friends with harden . Interesting

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Dwight Opts out his cap hold actually goes up even before he re-signs. His cap hold would equal 150% of his current salary but not to exceed his maximum allowable salary. I'm not sure what his max salary will be next season but his cap hold would be close to 30 mil next season if he opts out.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

dwight and howard won't get it done... have to hope howard opts out and we can get another STAR to come in with durant.

there will be plenty of teams with 2 young stars making room for KD next yr

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol I'm sure we can find somebody else to throw a max contract to. The point every player has a projected value, in the case of Dwight I dont think he's worth 30M anymore so if he wants to get that amount in 2 years I'd rather let him walk than keep him around.