1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hypothetical - ALDS -Pitching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mkahanek, Sep 26, 2019.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Ok. More of a good chance this happens.

But ALDS. Game 4.

No matter who's leading 2-1 do you:

A. Pitch JV on three days rest?

B. Pitch Wade pm.jpg Miley?

If we are leading 2-1 and lose. Then it is a winner take all with JV taking the bump against? Manea?? Snell? CFM?

If we are down 2-1 do you take that risk.

Also. What about planning ahead??. Flip JV and COLE. So if we do go to a game 4 in the division series we could pitch a younger Garrett Cole on 3 days instead of 36 year old JV.

Miley wetting the bed has really put a wrinkle in the playoff rotation.

Or do you take a chance on a bullpen game? Start Josh and hope for 2. Go Peacock and hope for 2. Urquidy gives you 2 then you have Harris, Pressley and Osuna doing their normal thing.

I think I prefer to sweep whoever we play in the LDS as game 4 scares me. It could be elimination of US or going to a one game winner take all.

Before automatically saying pitch JV or COLE on 3 days. Since 2000 in the post season. Pitchers on 3 days rest have won only 37% of the time. Not too good. I guess if we play a game 4 we better hope the bats are rolling.

2. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

We go with JV if we’re down 2-1. Going with Miley would be like surrendering the series to me. If we’re up 2-1, I wouldn't mind having JV available in the bullpen if it a close game like we did against Boston in 2017. Either way, we’re in good shape with Cole going game 5 or game 1 of ALCS.

studogg likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think either way (whether we're up 2-1 or down 1-2) I would rather get JV out there for 5 innings, hope our offense is clicking, and turn the rest of the game over to the bullpen. The Astros have tremendous luxury/advantage in putting JV out there to close/save the ALDS to only have Cole be the Game 1 starter in the ALCS.

If that's not the path Hinch is taking I hope he uses the bullpen rotation for Game 4 in lieu of Miley. I'm sure I'm not the only one in thinking that Wade's done.

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Interesting point about potentially pitching Cole in Game 1, so that he could go on 3 days rest, then JV is available for Game 5 or ALCS Game 1 on regular rest, and each would end up getting two starts. I think it just depends on how you foresee either of them going on 3 days rest. Whoever you think would be better should maybe, possibly, get the Game 1 start.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Up 2-1 it's probably Miley but Hinch will have a quick hook. I hope Urquidy earns his spot on the playoff roster tonight. He's likely the long relief in a Miley game.

Didn't need a 4th starter in the DS last year...let's do that again.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Hypothetical - LSD -Pitching

That is what I thought I saw :oops:

7. awc713

awc713 Member

There was a point this year where I was thinking we could offer a QO to Miley...not so much anymore. Wonder what the issue is. He was crushing it for 4 months...

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Miley was never getting a QO...

So, I say we just solve this sticky situation by sweeping, same as last year. Miley doesn't toss a pitch in the post season if it's me.

seemoreroyals and Rock Block like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In 2017... JV pitched in game 4.

10. Nook

Nook Member

You role with Miley and have Peacock ready to go.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

He did. In relief. Gave up a 2 run bomb to his first batter.

12. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Hear hear. Sweep(s) would be best case scenarios altough a tad unrealistic.

So is Miley left off altogether for the DS ? Or does he become a lefty match up out of the BP? Hinch doesnt seem to care much about a lefty from the BP

13. raj87

raj87 Member

Please change the title to ALDS. I thought you were putting together an all Mormon starting rotation.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  14. Jeremy Williams

I think you role with Urquidy and Peacock and give Miley's spot to another pen arm. Miley has had enough time to show he is over the mental/physical collapse. He's done.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I can respect that, I just don’t have much more confidence in either of them right now.

The reality is losing McCullers hurt a lot more than expected. He would be perfect to take the ball in game 4.

16. Buck Turgidson

Roy Halladay
    Jack Morris
    Bruce Hurst
    Vern Law
    Dennis Eckersley

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If you put Miley out there, he has to be on an extremely short leash, as in, someone warming up in the bullpen right away just in case he ***** the bed kind of a short leash. I think you start him but pull him the minute he starts to crumble. Maybe you get lucky.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Depends who we face. Tampa is loaded with left handed hitters (Wendle, Meadows, Lowe, Choi, Kiermaier). I would still run Miley out.

A's usually only have Olson and Profar as a lefty so I might go Urquidy followed by Peacock.

19. SemisolidSnake

It's got to be Urquidy. He's been the most consistent this year at giving about half a game. I really was holding out hope on Miley getting it together, but time is up. I don't even see him on the roster.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

When in McHugh supposed ready? or is he officially shut down for the season?