1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah and they just cast 4 women in a crappy ghostbusters reboot for 200 million dollars. They don't have a clue.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Honey Bear + RocketsLegend = same poster?

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Just watched the trailer. OK, this is exactly what happened with Star Wars: The Force Awakens. If you saw Episodes IV & V, then you've seen TFA. The new Ghostbusters appears to be identical to GB1 only with female characters. It looks totally unoriginal and breaks no new ground as far as the storyline goes. Even the ghosts look the same only with better CG. As of this afternoon, there's quite an uproar on Twitter because Leslie Jone's character is (yet) another black stereotype (the street-wise black person who's there for comic relief) while the three white women get to play scientists. Oh well, another wasted opportunity with the same cardboard characters and sophomoric plot Hollywood has been puking out for years now.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very true. There is a glass ceiling for Asians.

I think this is exactly right. I have seen Chris Rock in stand-up. The guy has layers to his humor. I recently saw Dave Chapelle, and they use stereotypes in ridiculous ways. The relish at times in pushing the limits of what comedy is, and what satire is.

I think Rock was being satirical by using Asian children to mock a stereotype, not reinforce one. His intention was to offend people - he even made a comment about it right after he made the joke.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I could work with that stereotype if somebody would hire me for a high paying job.

6. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

So it's ok to make fun of any race because "comedy is comedy?"

Oh, except black people are off limits because that would be racist.

Got it.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Spittin' truth...

equality is important

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol really? I've seen stand up asian comedians make black people jokes to a mostly black audience so I'm not sure what you are talking about or Bigtexxx in the post below.

Was Rock a hypocrite? Yes, I'll grant that...but only because of the context of the entire situation...but had he made this joke during his usual stand up routine then I'm not sure anyone blinks an eye nor should they.

Comedians make race jokes, usually a sign of a good comedian if they can get you to laugh at something that may be offensive.

Most of Chris Rock's old stuff makes fun of black people more than anything.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Academy Apologizes for Asian Jokes on Oscars, Vows to Be More Sensitive

And it only took three weeks and a letter from multi multi academy award winners!

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

so I was correct all along, as evidenced by the Academy's apology.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last time I checked, the Academy doesn't speak for Chris Rock.