1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Christ, you're really going to make me defend bigtexxx? Fine...

The original post seemed to be questioning the sincerity of Rock's advocacy for racial equality in Hollywood, given the fact that he turned around and gave us a racist bit about Asians (a group that's far less represented in Hollywood than blacks). Regardless of if you feel that way, that's different than what you're describing.

For the umpteenth time, get past the thread starter. You don't see anything hypocrital about what Rock did here?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Perhaps if Rock was advocating that blacks never be made fun of, ever, then yeah.

3. dharocks

We will have to agree to disagree. I think if you're going to spend the evening decrying the fact that blacks are underrepresented in Hollywood, it's hypocrital and sh!tty to then turn around and devote 40 seconds to a blatantly racist bit about Asians, a highly underrepresented minority in Hollywood.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe Asians should be more pissed there was one Asian presenter, from what I saw, than about some stupid joke by a comedian. I haven't heard any uproar about Chris Rock going to Compton for a silly man on the street bit and having a running Suge Knight bit. What was the difference? One depicts Asians as incredibly succesful and intelligent while the other depicted a black guy shackled in a prison jumpsuit. I mean wow.

5. dharocks

Maybe you can be annoyed by both? And maybe it's not your place to tell other people what they should and shouldn't be upset by?

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah saying they built iPhones in Foxconn makes them look highly successful. All of the asian jokes were bottom of the barrel as has already been pointed out.

7. dharocks

Christ, maybe texxx has a point when he claims that he controls your guys' thoughts and emotions.

8. CometsWin

Well that's fine. Being annoyed by comedians just isn't on par with institutional racism for me. I thought it was shocking there was one Asian presenter. It was obvious they brought out a bunch of black actors, some who haven't been relevant in years, to make a point about diversity but they left Hispanics and Asians in a drawer somewhere.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah you go tell them Asians what which stereotype they should be pissed about.

What's next are you going to go tell black people which black jokes they should be offended by.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You're agreeing with bigtexxx and the Huffington Post.

Let that sink in for a moment.

11. CometsWin

I don't recall that one. I thought we were talking about the accounting joke. So Asian jokes are okay as long as they're not portrayed unfavorably? Alrighty.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That was your defense. I was just shooting down your crap about how they were all positive saying asians were successful. Perhaps you should be more familiar with the actual jokes before characterizing them? I found them all bottom of the barrel stereotypical.

13. dharocks

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm sure tons of papers have run op-eds about this.

But bigtexxx and HuffPo are not exactly banner carriers when it comes to rational, objective social commentary.

15. CometsWin

I made a contrast between two specific racial jokes and what really mattered at the show which was the lack of Asian presenters. There's no defense needed for a joke by a professional comedian. This is not really about a joke to anyone (except as a tool in the bigotexxx troll of course), it's about the lack of political and cultural power that Asians have to bring their concerns into a mainstream consciousness. Anyway...

#95 CometsWin, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So much passion in this thread.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I support (funny) racist jokes regardless of you. Thanks.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You support "funny" racist jokes? You're part of the problem.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Care to link us to your Tumblr, my little social justice warrior?