1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sorry but making fun of Asians isn't comedy, quit trying to excuse it away. You'd be marching in the streets if blacks were the brunt of the joke.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Comedy is subjective. Get over it.

There is a difference between systemic racism and race oriented jokes.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

TO THE STREETS!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f3PJF0YE-x4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

bigtexxx with the #FauxRage

really

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the people who are upset there wasn't an uproar about Asian children being in the joke want more political correctness?

Of course this only shows that some folks don't get the joke in the first place.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Rock dropped that bit and all use of the word years ago because it was racist. It wasn't even a good counter example to bring up in the first place.

7. Bandwagoner

No doofus, equality.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

When someone suggests that Chris Rock doesn't skewer black people (or that people would lose their damned minds if he did), it's the lowest hanging fruit to grab.

Also, according to teh internetz, he took it out because "some people that were racist thought they had license to say ni**er." He didn't remove it because the act was racist.

#48 DonnyMost, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It speaks volumes of this board's liberals' biases if I'm on the same side of the argument as the Huffington Post, yet they are trying to excuse racism away as simply "comedy".

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What it sounds like is a bunch of people missed who the "brunt" of the joke was actually supposed to be.

It was a set up... a bait and switch... blah blah blah..

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I know why you posted it...but I think a more congruent example would be an Asian American comedian making a joke stereotyping blacks while hosting a nationally televised awards show.

I know nothing like that exists, but I'd have to do some serious mental gymnastics to convince myself that there wouldn't be at least the same amount of backlash.

12. Bandwagoner

What it actually was, is proof that Hollywood doesn't care or understand diversity at all. East Asian men are some of the most under represented people in hollywood.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Clearly we need to have Margaret Cho host next years Oscars and make a joke about black people being good at basketball.

For science.

Edit: Maybe she can do this Bill Burr bit!

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree they are, but disagree that the point has anything to do with joke.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Excellent post, and good point.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

17. mikus

mikus Member

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That was one of the worst Oscars in a while.

From the focus on black actors - and ignorance of other ethnicities to the point of the Asian kid bit (which was a joke, but really poorly thought out one) - to Rock messing up words and turning the wrong way constantly, to the Stacy Dash thing, to Whoopi being unable to read, to what seemed like miscues coming back from commercials, to the scrolling thank you's that didn't work and they seemed to stop, etc.

I enjoyed 3 bits - (i) Rock's Jada Smith bit, (2) Louis CK's short documentary bit, and (3) Ali G

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think its great that bigtexx seems to finally believe there is still racism in today's society. Previously I would have expected him to wave it off as non-existent.

Of course, he believes only "the blacks" are racists... so there is still much for him to learn...

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Rock did what a comedian of his caliber should do. He kept pushing into uncomfortable places and didn't back down from the controversy. I would have been surprised if he didn't piss off someone. I enjoyed the entire monologue.

The Stacey Dash bit definitely fell flat. The asian kids joke was uncomfortable, at least until, the phone part.

I just didn't like the near exclusive focus on black actors. All actors need fair chances at jobs. Not just the black ones.