1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm talking about numbers like total "speaking roles" and Oscar nominations in the past 2 or so decades. Asians and Hispanics are a couple times more underrepresented than blacks in these numbers.

2. DCkid

I know he's going to make "black jokes" It just seems like a couple of times when he was simply making a broader point, he could have substituted the word "blacks" for "minorities" and would have been better for it.

“We want opportunity,” Rock concluded. “We want black actors to get the same opportunities."

A lot of people leading up to this have been careful to say "minority" or "diverse" as opposed to blacks, because the numbers for black actors aren't actually very damning, but when you include Asians and Hispanics in the numbers there is a lot more statistical support.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is the norm in this country. Racism against non blacks are mostly ignored, and racism against Asians is not racism for the most part.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm pretty sure Asians have better things to b**** about than being made fun of for being smart.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Not just this case, that's how this country works for the most part.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think how you saw that bit is a reflection of the baggage you bring to the table when you watched it.

I've heard reactions from "Wow, demonstrates how out of touch the Oscars are!" to "Wow, those people were stupid!" to "That's why movies don't cater to black people!" etc.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Black people have better things to b**** about than recognition from the Academy. What's your point?

Using your hosting gig to criticize institutional racism, and then turning around and running a lame racist Asian bit is shamelessly hypocrital.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That's being very kind to say that Chris Rock was highlighting how smart they are. They were Asian children and stereotyped as nerdish geeks and also as laborers for making peoples iPhones. Very ugly.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Comedy is comedy. Chill people.

11. DCkid

I think it's simply a large portion of the population isn't "artsy" and the Oscars are "artsy." Probably would have had the same result going to a monster truck rally and asking the same questions.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Asians are the richest ethnic group in country.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Nevermind...

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

This is true but it does not mean they haven't overcome racism to get to where they are. They most certainly have.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Funny how bigtexxx only posts about racial issues when they involve purported racism by minorities.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Bigtexxx has jumped on the PC culture bandwagon I see.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Someone is shocked by Chris Rock...what did you expect? They hired the guy to stir things up, not bore people to sleep. Of course he's going to make fun of lack of representation. It's the elephant in the room.

I'm surprised that people are surprised by anything that comes out of Rock's mouth. He talks trash about everyone. No one is safe from his jokes. He's "equal opportunity" when it comes to the jokes, which, in my opinion, makes him one of the more "fair' comedians.

If you were offended by Chris Rock, that may be an indicator of over-sensitivity.

18. DCkid

I agree somewhat. He makes fun of black people, white people, Asian people pretty much equally. So, I don't really see much "hypocrisy" there.

I think where he may have been a tad bit hypocritical (and maybe that's not the right word) is with his message, not his jokes. If he was trying to be fair he should have talked more about minority under-representation in Hollywood as opposed to just black under-representation. Not doing so comes across as either ill-informed about where the significant under-representation really exists or he's simply uncaring about other minorities' lack of representation. Or perhaps talking about black under representation is just what generates the buzz, while other minorities don't really seem to have near as much interest in the subject from the public and the media.

#38 DCkid, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

As an Asian American, I'm more upset at how unfunny that joke was. Borat's minion joke was funnier.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL true, that was another "racist" Asian joke... :grin: