1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ottomaton, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10 year aniversary, tomorrow, Aug. 29.

Jesus I feel old. Seem like yesterday.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

That's a long time ago. Felt like it wasn't long ago that I got a week extra to study for finals cus the exam date got hit by Katrina.

3. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Time to sell some bracelets!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking about it today.

A lot has been done but sadly from everything I've head there is still a long way to go recover from Katrina. I went to NOLA a few months after Katrina and remember then how bad things looked. One of the things that shocked me was that the recovery along the Gulf coast was far behind the recovery that I saw in many places along the Indian Ocean following the tsunami.

I still think one of the lasting lessons from Katrina is that if we as a country are willing to abandon NOLA then anywhere else in the country could be abandoned.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

10 years ago tonight I truly thought I was going to die in a cruise ship disaster. I was on my honeymoon after my first wedding and we left Galveston on 8/28, so we hit some very rough water on the way to our first port of call. The ship would go up, then down, then left, then right, and every time it did the last two, you could hear something shattering somewhere on the ship. And every time it did the last two, it felt like it was going to keep going. Truly the most terrified I've ever been.

Saw all the devastation throughout the week and couldn't believe it. Played blackjack next to a guy who find out he lost everything he owned.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

He lost everything in the game of blackjack or in the storm?

8. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Pretty sure he meant due to the hurricane.

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

When the Levees Broke is a great HBO documentary about Katrina. Its also on Amazon prime instant video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/12xj1sHvIWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vuQKo_uuKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">George W. Bush dances in New Orleans 10 years after Hurricane Katrina. He says the city has risen again: <a href="http://t.co/VNp9VsPtZB">http://t.co/VNp9VsPtZB</a></p>&mdash; CNN Video (@CNNVideo) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNNVideo/status/637303647156703232">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. axstar713

axstar713 Member

10 years...wow. It seems like just yesterday I watched that nightmare unfold with the live feeds coming from the various news agencies, some of those images are burned into my memory forever - especially the guy who was interviewed walking around in a daze after watching his wife float-away in the floods.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife and I just went to New Orleans and had an amazing time....naturally. That is the one thing they are set up for: greeting lots of tourists. Just an awesome place to visit.

It didn't even occur to me until we were there that, wow, this same month is the 10th anniversary of Katrina. I will confess we probably didn't see much of the areas that were totally inundated and devastated, such as the Lower 9th. Clearly they have come a long way back from Katrina. I didn't want to be one of those tourists taking a "Katrina Tour", which I'm sure exists.

I don't blame the locals who can't imagine elsewhere to live...the food, culture, atmosphere. It's so unique. But you are aware how vulnerable the place is.

It's amazing the city exists at all.....Mississippi River, Lake Pontchartrain, and the main culprit that is seldom mentioned, Lake Bourne and the Mississippi River - Gulf Outlet (MR-GO, "Mister Go"), which basically backwashed the Gulf of Mexico into the city.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job"

14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Maybe he shouldn't be playing blackjack then