1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hunter Pence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bchapman101, Mar 8, 2007.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i'd be clamoring to send him down :D

honestly, i forgot about baseball rules regarding arbitration, and keeping his rookie status. i would be ok with scott getting the starting job, biggio needs to get his hits and be done, make way for the new guys.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the only reason pence isn't in the mix is because it's better for him to play full time at triple A then part time here. if scott does as well as i think he will then i don't have a problem with lane being the guy who spot starts.

3. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Agreed. Biggio is Mr Baseball in H-Town but, clearly his skills are waning. For Lane, he is clearly on the bubble on where his career is heading. Another year like last year and you may as well flushed it because that's where it will be ... :D

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This may sound like an odd question, but is Hunter Pence black or white?

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He's Pan-Asian Astro. Why?

6. msn

msn Member

Not odd at all. Stupid and over-played, but not odd. Honestly, if it weren't for xiki's response I'd have no idea what Mr. Pence's race is.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

to add more fuel to the fire... In watching Pence last night (albeit for a very limited sample size) he seemed much more comfortable and able to read balls in the outfield than Burke.

I'm down with Burke starting the year up and Pence being in AAA, but I would hold a fairly short leash with this. Center field defense is pivotal when you have a weak left and right fielder. Hell, it's pivotal when you don't.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just get great pitching and don't let em hit it...EVER !

:D

DD

10. Buck Turgidson

Considering you were prepared to ruin a player's career for a PR stunt last season, your newfound knowledge & respect for the intricacies consequences of roster transactions are quite pleasing. :)

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Hunter Pense was black he would have been traded already. :)

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wasn't going to ruin a career, all I said is that it would not be ABOVE the Astros to promise Roger a chance to play with his son in September.

And it was a guess on what Roger was hinting at as a major announcement on August 31st...

The leaps of logic around here are astounding....

SHEESH !

DD

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

The reason I asked is because I had somehow gotten it in my head that he was black. Perhaps my brain just made some weird connection with Torii Hunter. But I saw a picture of him this morning in the Chronicle and it was the first time I had seen him. I thought maybe they had used the wrong picture.

14. bchapman101

bchapman101 Contributing Member

yo even though that is funny to me, and I believe it, there are alot of people here who jump all over you for saying stuff like that

but I thought it was funny

15. bchapman101

bchapman101 Contributing Member

where is that signature from? its hilarious

16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Ghostbusters.

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
    Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
    Mayor: Is this true?
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.... This man has no dick.

17. msn

msn Member

Aaahhh. In that case, please excuse my earlier rant. Sorry about that.

18. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

The reason it's hard to play Luke Scott at RF is because his throwing arm and his ball reads are below average and average at best for a LEFT fielder. That guy needs to work on his armstrength if he wants to be a constant at RF. That's one of the major problems when we sign Lee because Lee is anything but great in the OF when it comes to his speed and his ability to get to balls to make a play that most fielders should.

Burke's position is only pressed by Pence at the most, and you really don't want a rookie to man MMP's center field unless he has tremendous flyball reads and have some great speed. You don't want to kill his confidence.

Besides, it's still spring training and he seems to be hitting fastballs more than anything else. In fact, he isn't really getting much of anything else until the last game.