1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hunter Pence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bchapman101, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3-4 today, but his average has still dropped.

2. McGradyFTW

McGradyFTW Member

I do think its funny that a guy can go 2-3* in a day and it DROPS his average.

*now hes 3-4

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Trade him now while his stock is high!!

4. bobrek

He had the opportunity to raise his average because he got that 5th at bat, but he couldn't come through - typical Astros choke.

5. msn

msn Member

I love the mediots bringing up people like Wright and Pujols to say that the Astros "always" bring their guys up too slow. The average age of a rookie that starts the season on a ML club ain't 24, mediots -- it's 27 or 28 (last I heard). Those phenoms are the exception, not the rule: hence the term, "phenom".

Additionally, the Astros have brought their phenoms up like every other team. Roy Oswalt, for example, says hi.

The best take, still, on this comes from Mr. Turgidson:

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For perspecitve:

Spring stats for Morgan Ensberg:

AVG: .471
    SLG: .941
    OBP: .550

and Jason Lane:

AVG: .348
    SLG: .826
    OBP: .423

I'm not saying that Hunter Pence is a bum, but his numbers don't necessarily mean anything.

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

spring = poor pitchers

I don't put much stock in spring, esp. when evaluating what they will do in the Majors.

8. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

there's nothing wrong with wanting to see some new blood out there playing for your team. that's what gives a fan hope.

it is also idiotic to think that bringing up a player to the big leagues "too early" (whatever that means) will automatically destroy their career.

9. bobrek

It may give a fan hope, but fans of the Astros have been treated to teams contending well into September for most of the past 12 years. Many teams need "hope" to keep their fans interested. The Astros have relied on contending for playoff spots to keep their fans interested, all the while bringing up young (< 25 years old) players on a fairly regular basis.

David Clyde is certainly the prime example of having a career "destroyed" by being called up too early. Is it automatic - no.

Of course there are some fans who think giving up a game winning HR in the playoffs can destroy a career.

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

They do mean something -- going .750 in over 25 at-bats is definitely not "nothing". I'm not saying he's a lock to be a consistent stud-hitter, but you can't just dismiss his stats.

Also, if Mo's shoulder (was it his shoulder) is finally healed like he says, then we shouldn't be surprised to see his numbers bounce back up this season either. Lane on the other hand ... no comment.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Mo's poor last couple of months of 05 and the playoffs were attributed to his injury. Supposedly he came into 06 completely healed. Well, we all know how much he sucked in 06. Mo has got to prove he can do the job before I give him the benefit of the doubt again. For my money, i'd rather have Lamb starting at 3rd. He's alot more consistent.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

People claiming the Astros are too cheap to bring up Pence are ridiculous.

If they were so cheap, why did they sign a guy to a 100 million dollar deal to play a position that Pence potentially could be at (ie - Carlos Lee).

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is his 25 at bats different from Jason Lane's 26?

14. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I don't think they're cheap. I just think they're stupid if they don't give Pence a shot this season.

15. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Trade Lane now while his stock (lmao) is high, maybe the Stros can find some sucker team to make a deal for a decent left hand reliever, trevor miller scares me. Pence should be given the start for a few games in April.

16. msn

msn Member

Like bobrek said, it's the numerous playoff appearances and the fact that the organization as a whole is run extremely well and remains extremely competitive that gives me "hope".

Agreed; now, who said that?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who do you think he should replace in the OF? Burke or Scott?

Just two years ago, THEY were the ones that caused people to say "the Astros are stupid if they don't give _____ a shot this season."

The bottom line is that the guy should not be up here if he isn't playing everyday... and since they got Carlos Lee, there isn't a wide open position on the field for him to take.

18. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Burke

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Burke is in there as a guy who gives you the only chance to have a true "top of the order-type" guy... as he's shown to be far more productive when he bats near the top of the lineup (where he actually does a decent job as being selective with pitches, and can steal some bases), rather than the #6 or 7 spot.

To start the year, Garner will probably bat him second... but I wouldn't be suprised to see him bat leadoff, and have whichever guy is struggling more (Ensberg or Luke) bat second, while moving Biggio (and his quest for 3000) down to 6th.

If you don't have Burke in there, you have a lineup with ZERO team speed, and its going to be a long year of waiting for the long ball to bail you out. I like the versatility Burke gives this team at the plate.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Bigg bats 6 then does it cost him potential ABs in 'The Quest'?
    What is Bigg's hitting history at different spots in the 'order?
    When (Heaven forbid 'if') Bigg gets #3000 then what becomes of
    Bigg - gee - oh?