1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hunter Pence vs Chris Burke vs Craig Biggio vs Uncle Drayton vs Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by texanskan, Mar 23, 2007.

1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

OK, my head is gonna explode talking about the David Carr/VY/Matt "your in good hands with" Shaub thing so here goes.

*Disclaimer My opinion

Hunter Pence should start in center period. He is a legit outfielder who has way more upside than Burke and oh yeah by the way he is an outfielder not a converted 2nd baseman.

Why he wont, simple the Astros don't want to pay him one year early. They can bring him up later in the season and next year will be his "rookie season" so you will get 3-1/2 vs 3 years before arbitration. Good buisness move, maybe. Good baseball move, no way.

Chris Burke is a poor man's Ryan Freel but he can still be very valuable moving around this season and hell he might win the second base job over Biggio at some point or atleast share time with him. One thing I know for sure is that the only way Burke should be the starter in center is if Pence fails after getting his shot.

The Astros logic is r****ded, I really belive if Ryan Howard were an Astro he would of been stuck in AA or AAA last season.

Who is to blame? Drayton has proven he will spend but he has also proven he can get real cheap at certain times. Is Tal Smith running the show? Is Purpura making these decisions based on some logic of his that ball-players are not ready at 24? (It can't be from first hand knowledge)

The point of my rant is, Pence needs to be in center, Loretta and Burke are breathing down Biggio's and Everett's backs for their jobs and unless you name is Roy Oswalt, Carlos Lee, Lance Berkman or anyone who is coming off a string of proven seasons you are not handed jack.

I am of the opinion the Astros are going nowhere this year but they are not too far off that they should sacrafice any wins based on not bringing someone up till later in the season or giving someone a job because it's "his time" not based on what he has done.

I hope at the end of the year Pence is in center and Burke is at second because we need to find out if these guys are the answer we also need to start playing players at their position. Last year it was a good start with Berkman this year lets not take a step back by putting an infielder in center all season.

2. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

its a shame that hunter pence probably won't make the opening day roster, and that scrub jason lane probably will. (yes i know lane's having a good spring, but once regular season starts hello strikeouts and 215 batting average).

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Loretta ain't taking AE's job.

Burke will take Biggio's job.

How Drayton's money has anything to do with this, I have no idea.

Burke needs to be playing everyday at this point. He's done everything you have to do to be an everyday player. But for Biggio's chase for 3,000, I believe Pence would be with the club.

Jason Lane is irrelevant. He'll be a bench player. We can't afford to have Pence sitting on the bench. He needs to be an everyday player in Round Rock or Houston.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Burke has earned his spot. If Pence is ready (showing it by dominating in AAA), he will be on the team by July. Everett is entrenched at short. He's just too good with the glove. You don't remove the best defensive player in the game to gain .40 in batting average.

COD's, I agree. The Jason Lane experiment should have been abandoned a year ago. He adds nothing to the team.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ryan Howard did not play his first full year in the majors until he was 26. He only got the 1B job in Philadelphia for the 2nd half of 2005 (when he was well over 25) because Thome was hurt.

6. Buck Turgidson

You do not understand the arbitration process very well.

Interesting you brought up Ryan Howard. He was not a full-time MLB player until age 26.

Nice crack about Purp's "first hand knowledge". Running a minor league system for several years...doesn't get more first-hand than that. What's your knowledge base?

Burke & Loretta are not breathing down anybody's necks, unless it was in some freaky dream you had.

You and a few other mouthbreathing fans are the only ones left trumpeting Hunter Pence as the opening day CFer. Even the mediots understand what the Stros are doing. That should tell you something. He got his first exposure to MLB on & off the field and he acquitted himself very well. He needs to work on a few things, he'll be back, and he'll be much more ready when he does get the call. None of your whining & pining will change that.

7. texanskan

what is more important winning or making sure everyone is happy and their feelings don't get hurt?

I say Biggio get's the nod at 2nd, he get's a 4-6 week free pass, if he is playing well than he keeps the job.

FYI, Lane sucks and with Biggio needing rest not only would Burke get time at second he would also get starts in the outfield.

Jason Lane=David Carr

potential don't mean crap results do

8. texanskan

I was talking about playing not running a minor league system.

When the Astros win a world series they can have all the free passes from the fans. Till then I watched with my own two eyes a Florida team that was young as hell beat down the Yanks in the World Series

9. MadMax

Again...Biggio will get his opportunity to get to 3000 hits. That's what's driving this. Not Jason Lane. Jason Lane is a bench player. You don't bring up Hunter Pence to be a bench player.

10. MadMax

ummm..you recognize that most of the very best GM's in baseball never played ball past high school, right?

the Astros don't need a free pass.

11. texanskan

You bring him up to be your everyday center fielder. That is his position, let Burke rot on the bench unless he wins a job. It's about winning not making friends.

45 years and 0 championships I want one, what about you?

Hell it took 42 to win a dam series

I am tired of not getting it done, Florida has two we have nothing

12. Major

Major Member

Yes, bringing up a rookie CF is the key to it all. If only we'd do that, we'd win the World Series!

13. MadMax

you don't communicate to players in your organization that a guy having a good spring negates the work that Burke has put in. sorry. burke HAS won a job. and a spring traning sample size doesn't negate that. pence's time is coming. with burke at 2B.

there are few things in life i want more than the Astros to win a series. above and beyond any sports desire i have.

14. Buck Turgidson

I have many, many years worth of memories and enjoyment. I want them to win, and they will, but I'm not owed anything as a fan.

Sorry you enjoy winning more than the game.

On Pence, here's Purp on why he's not ready yet:

"I think it will really help him because he'll see more veteran pitching, they'll try to expose his weaknesses. We really started to see that a little bit up here as guys got better control and started pitching him away. He's a free swinger, he's a guy who takes his cuts up there and he'll have to get a better handle on the strike zone when he moves up to a higher level."

and here's the Astros plan, has been all along, obvious to everyone, plain as the baklava in front of your face:

"They told me coming in that the reason they sent me here was not because they expected me to make the team out of Spring Training but because there's a possibility somewhere down the line they could need me this year," Pence said.

15. texanskan

No the question is what do you have?

Lee-LF
    Scott-RF

OK, who is the center fielder?
    Lane=trash
    Burke=average (from what I have seen) to maybe a quality starter
    Pence=we have not seen anything but more potential than Burke for sure

What do you do? you let them battle it out of course, unless you want to hand the job to an unproven infielder who is getting his tail smacked in spring training.

Why did the Astros send Pence back? Why not wait till the end of camp?

A. There is no logical answer

16. texanskan

Max, your point is great and well taken but Burke is not a centerfielder and if Pence is better than he is better.

Hey I love Biggio but if Burke is better than I want him at second that's me.

17. texanskan

Buck, I have great memories too but the game is just a game when your a kid when you get older and remain a die-hard fan the goal IMO is to win.

Screw this "return of the good guys" stuff.

How about "bring it on mother f***ers it's our time" for a slogan.

18. Buck Turgidson

I'm 32. I love baseball. I want to see good baseball, played well, be it at Rice, Round Rock or MMP or the YMCA. I love the Astros. They do not, however, owe me a thing. As a fan, I do not deserve anything more than to be entertained. Sorry you're not entertained by the game.

19. texanskan

I am entertained by the game, I go see college ball games, I made a trip to see the hooks play last year and I plan to go see the express this year but brother you are fooling yourself if you think MLB is just a game.

I stoped giving a crap about anything other than winning back when they went on strike and then came back cheating by pumping animal steroids in their behinds.

I can "get lost in the game" at a AAA game or watching Rice or UH but not MLB. Now last year I went and saw the Yankees play Tampa in New York and I enjoyed it as a baseball fan but I care about the Astros so no I can't have fun if they are not winning.

I want Barry Bonds if it means a World Series win, I want to feel the same way I felt when the Rockets won at any cost. I would give up Biggio's 3000th hit if it was gonna get us a world series period.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Exactly, and especially a rookie CF who hasn't even played in AAA. Also, why are people forgetting that Loretta is a better choice for backup than Burke at this point, especially since Burke hasn't played second very much this spring at all. If Biggio falters which he won't, then Loretta will step up for a majority of the road starts I would imagine.