1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Humbly asking for your help.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Mar 3, 2014.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll find out and PM you the guy's name that my sister spoke with. My mom is in Austin and I am not sure of this guy's coverage area, but he should be able to point you in the right direction. It takes a few months to get things gong, but they pay retroactively once everything has been approved.

1 person likes this.
  2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Donation made. Prayers to you and your family.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Done. God Bless your family!!

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Tried to donate but the site is blocked here at work. I will try again when I get home.

This story just goes to show you how important family is. And how unimportant other things are when compared. Young men today could really learn a lesson from your Dad on what it is to be a man.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Exactly, and what marriage and commitment really should be.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I can relate to how difficult it is to care for family members. My father has a severe case of Parkinson's disease and needs my mother's help 24/7. I don't know how she does it. It's extremely taxing. When I go visit them, I try to help, but I don't make it very often, and it's amazing how she manages to keep her sanity.

7. JD88

JD88 Member

I didnt know he was a vet. That changes things.

Unless its related to military service, thats gonna be more trouble then its worth. The VA has been throwing peoples claims in the trash. The only thing they're good for is the GI Bill now. You'll end up waiting months (probably years) for them to say they never got your paperwork (that you spent weeks filling out).

There is an organization called Navy/Marine Corps relief fund, they give out interest free loans to people in need on a case by case basis for emergencys. If he was in the army or navy, there will probably be something similar. A few thousand dollars in loans isnt unheard of.

If I were you, I would go to the local recruiting station and ask them for the name of the group or similar groups like it, they will bend over backwards to help a vet. Maybe set up a jar there, as many kids who go to sign up, their parents are vets and would be glad to donate a bit.

Go to your local VFW and we up a jar there. If your dad was in the service, go to other vets for help. We aren't the richest people in the world, but most vets will give up whatever they can to help one another.

8. JD88

JD88 Member

Lots of typos and gibberish from my cell, but you get the idea. Any questions just email me.

9. bobrek

We had absolutely no problems with the VA. Their rep came out and helped my sister with all the paperwork and someone was always available to answer questions. Once everything was filed, it took around two months or so to get final approval. At that time they retroactively paid the two months and going forward have promptly deposited a check into my mothers bank account monthly. We were able to find out status along the way. At no time was there a delay based on the rep's timeline he told us to expect, with the exception of the government shutdown.

Obviously everyone's experience and situation varies, but to utterly dismiss the VA in cases like this may cost someone $1500+ per month in qualified expenses.

To put it succinctly, avoiding the VA would have cost us $18,000+ per year.

10. JD88

JD88 Member

Oh, Im sure some people have great experiences with the VA. But unless it can be related back to military service, then it will all be for nothing assuming you even make it that far.

Chances are (and I say chances by the back log, average wait time, type of case he'd be filing, and personal experience) that they'd never see a dime.

I'm not saying to avoid the VA entirely, as they may, may, be able to help, I'm just saying don't bank on it. If he doesn't mind filling out the paperwork (what could it hurt right?) then by all means, but I am saying there are other, more reliable, quicker ways for veterans to get assistance than the VA.

You are a lucky case. Be thankful.

11. bobrek

What do you mean by this?

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I will definitely talk to my dad about the VA. It's worth a shot. Thanks for that advice.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Many times the VA wont help unless it can be related to military service. For example, if you get a brain tumor 30 years after you served, your chances of getting help from the VA are slim to none.

I did know a air winger who claimed his military service caused one of his legs to be longer then the other and he got disability.

But I know several marines who claimed joint pain or other ailments after they got out that the VA said couldn't be related to their time in the military so they weren't covered.

I use the VA for the GI Bill so my wait time was shorter (6 months or so to hear back), but I a buddy of mine who lives in Houston waited 18 moths for an appointment to have his TBI diagnosed from an IED hit only to have them tell him he had to resubmit his paperwork and that they never received it.

Its really hit and miss. Like I said, by all means the VA may help, but there are other options, like the Navy/Marine Corps relief fund. They give money for emergencies (flood, fire, family illness, etc...).

14. bobrek

I think you and I are talking different scenarios. This particular benefit has nothing to do with military related affects. In particular this benefit is for the surviving spouse (in this case, my mom) who never spent one minute in the military. It is called the "VA Aid and Attendance Pension".

I think I did overstate my mom's benefit. It is closer to $1100/month than $1500/month. The actual veteran would get $1700 - $2100.

Here is a brief link and googling would show more:

http://www.elderbenefitsconsulting.com/veteranspension.html

#34 bobrek, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  15. dragician

dragician Member

donation sent. good luck with your mom.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  17. HookemHorns1250

Sent. Thoughts and Prayers with you and your family. Stay strong!

1 person likes this.
  18. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Sent. Prayers are with you and family

1 person likes this.
  19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Thank you all so much. I've contacted my dad about the VA, and I will surprise him tonight with the donations I have received so far. I can't thank you enough. This will all help in so many ways.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

This might seem unpreferred, but have you tried tweeting to a rockets star? I could easily see this as something Dwight/Harden donates to, and they get good press from it. A win-win for both sides. Then, other CF members could retweet it to Dwight/Harden, or something similar, so it catches steam. Just throwing out the idea.