1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought Hubie had plenty of effusive praise for the Rockets. He complimented Dwight on his quickness and awareness. He did that thing where he showed Dwight's stats and he only had 8 points or so (I think it was in the third quarter) but then he said, "but you have to look down here and he has 18 rebounds already." He could not say more nice things about Brewer, he commented on him and his fast break abilities even when they were not on the break, and made comments about him as a three point shooter. He talked about what a great passer Josh Smith is and how well he is fitting in with the team. He talked about how awesome Harden is and that he is unstoppable. He mentioned that he seemed to be having a quiet night, but you look and he has 28 points (at the time). He talked about the monster production that was coming out of the Rockets PF position for the series. He talked about how the Rockets were all over the offensive glass and dominating the Mavs in the paint. I think he even gave some praise to Prigioni who was dreadful in the game. I don't remember any specific compliments he gave to Capella, Terry or Ariza, except maybe saying a particular play was good. People are oversensitive to the praise he was giving to the Mavs.

2. tdo

tdo Member

He is just not fun to listen to. When watching a game that he's calling, all I can hear is his damn voice rambling on and on and on. It's super annoying. I also feel like he has been biased towards the Mavs, especially on fouls. Touch calls against Harden, and he comments that you can't breathe on Harden without getting a foul call. Touch call on Dirk, and he comments on how great the officials were for seeing such little contact. I don't see how anyone can't notice it watching the games. If I have to hear one more time about Stoudemire not getting any calls in the 1st game, I am going to throw my remote through the TV. He has mentioned this at least 5 times since game 1.

1 person likes this.
  3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He is just old. The mind gets soft at his age.

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Hubie's unpredictable. There are games where he's ok, and there are games where he's terrible. This was one of his terrible games.

Tirico was worse, though.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Hubie ABSOLUTELY for SURE had more attention and care over-tilted toward Mavericks. Without a doubt.

It does NOT mean he hates Rockets. He did not speak a bad word about Rockets players and organization. Didnt even criticize any Rockets strategy

However, for the IMPARTIAL neutral viewer who is curious about a team and just wants to watch a game, and RELIES on commentators to know more about the teams, and wants their interests piqued,

it NEGLECTS the viewer out of them learning anything interesting about a team (Rockets in this instance). Still ends up being a bad thing

6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

My wife doesn't dig basketball much but she watches the games with me and roots for the Rockets,

last night about 15 minutes in on the game she looks at me and asks about Hubie "is he so old he thinks he's coaching the Mavericks because it sure sounds like it and it's annoying as hell" :grin:

1 person likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ok, I watched the ESPN game. My bad, you guys were right. I tend to White Knight Hubie a lot, but this was really bad. Really, really, bad. I agree with Stroopy's assessment though.

I must say, this is the first time I've heard Hubie this one sided. Bad bottle of Ensure I'm sure of it.

Cuban coming over to talk to Hubie at the end of the first half after Hubie was only talking about the Mavericks was eye-opening. When I say "eye-opening," I mean "vomit-inducing".

8. MystikArkitect

Just a few:

"You can see Howard pushes off with his right arm. That was BLATANT. You can see Carlisle...I'm glad they didn't hit him with a T."

"See Dirk's gotta make this."

"Right away Prigioni gets away with a push on Barea and no call, then you get another push by the defender."

"That was a good call. Ref was right there, Ariza couldn't stop himself"

"Dirk's been very active. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to produce."

After Josh to D12 dunk: "..................."

It was bad. You could hear the disappointment in his voice when the Rockets hit the daggers.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Holy crap that was terrible after seeing the replay!

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

He starts out every sentence the same way..and then attaches some statistic to it.

[picture of any mavs player]
    see here..we got dirk. one of the best in the league. top 2 free throw shooter. 35% from 3. 40% from 4. 55% from 5. and it takes him 25 mins to drive to the arena. and jj barrea. one of the top 3 pgs on the dallas team. takes 33.2% more shots than ellis..

rinse and repeat.

11. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

There was one play towards the end of the game when josh tripped over monta ellis' feet and ellis hits the shot.

The replay VERY clearly shows josh tripping up on the feet and going down. Meanwhile Pubie Brown said MULTIPLE times that josh shouldn't be trying to flop like that.

He's an idiot

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Those defending Hubie as being more pro-Mavs than anti-Rockets must have missed Harden's legendary stepback where Hubie reacted with a disgusted "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww."

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Hubie's reaction to Harden's shot falling in is hilarious.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Jim Ross could not have handled it better.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Notice how they put Barry on Warriors game who is a noted Warriors fan...

They are reluctant to let JVG call our games...

Gives us Hubie Brown every time lol.

16. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

While Hubie wasn't blatantly negative towards the Rox he was OVERTLY pro Mavs no question about it, it was getting nauseating, pretty sure the old goat would love for Dirk to tea bag him...

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

is hubie actually a maverick fan?

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't dislike Hubie because he is a Mavs fan

I dislike him because he is boring, out of touch, and senile

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya that was so dumb. i've never even see josh try to take a charge, much less flop.

20. valorita

valorita Member

I dont mind as long as we win. Commentators are allowed to have biases. We have the number one color commentator fanboy in JVG so u guys need to chill.