1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I switched at halftime, too. I DVR'd the rest of the ESPN broadcast to watch in case we won, but I needed to preserve my sanity.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There are "oh" that hurts and "oh" wow, exciting. It was pretty clear which oh was for each team. It was bad enough that I switched to Root, even Bill and Clyde were more complimentary and excited when the Mavs made tough shots.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I get worked up over the media also but from someone that has been watching the NBA and especially rockets for a long time I have had my fair share of hubie brown and to be honest with you he has always been like this. He has always rooted a little more for the underdog and not in a unprofessional way like some May seem. I advise you to watch a neutral game he commentates that's not a rockets game. He always groans he always makes it a point to give a little extra praise to the underdog because hubie knows basketball and he knows who should win (rockets) it's just hubie being hubie.

He actually knows a lot about the game and I sometimes too as a rockets fan feel like he is a little to supportive of the underdog but he does go out of his way a lot to let the audience no that Houston should win and Dallas needs to play lights out to have a chance. He gave high praise to Howard harden and smith multiple times. He was practically gushing over Dwight quickness being back.

4. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I know they're biased but I wish I could get root sports with my international league pass. It sucks

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

These Hubie sucks threads always have a pretty even amount of people on both sides of the fence. Game 3 seems squarely in the Hubie sucks camp. I'm looking forward to watching the Espn game now. I'm really thinking it can't be that bad, but judging by these comments, he must have been throwing excrement at the rockets bench!

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm usually alright with Hubie, he always go for the dog. However...., tonight was pretty bad.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm normally with you on this. I normally think people overreact to Hubie, but not tonight. Tonight he was pretty shamelessly pulling for the Mavericks.

8. trustme

trustme Member

I've been hating him since the Rockets vs. Supersonics game where Nick Collison dropped Yao and McGrady pushed him in retaliation. No one believed me when I said he sucked as a commentator and is biased against us.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I used to love Hubie Brown as a commentator.

Not anymore.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

ohhhhh barea just hit a three ohhhhhh ohhhhhhhhh ohhhhh my gaaaaaaawd dirk just hit a turnaround jumper ohhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhh

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Your tone implies you're disagreeing with me even though my post was basically a shorter paraphrase of 80% of what you said... I was saying that I don't think Hubie was rooting against the Rockets. He was just rooting for the underdog. So I agree.

However, I still think the way he goes about it comes off kind of unprofessional. It's not a big deal, though. The biggest problem is just how awful he is as a commentator. He never says anything.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I got most annoyed by his "there you go" when the Mavs scored - can't remember a single time he did it when the Rockets scored.

13. nemac

nemac Member

He was truly awful. Ohhhhh Barea, that was just beautiful, I'm a big fan of his, always have been, in 2011 he had 15 and 5 in a game, just amazing, ohhhhhhhh, simply a gentleman and a scholar, he should retire a maverick.

1 person likes this.
  14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yup, it was most noticeable on a Nowitzki jumper from the side. I was like WTF?

This was one - https://youtu.be/u0ku7QxMDdI?t=4m55s

This was the second which was more under his breathe and definitely like rooting for him - https://youtu.be/u0ku7QxMDdI?t=5m12s

15. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

I've made comments before bout Hubie being bias against us... but whats funny is, that every forum I've visited say the same thing bout Hubie not liking their team... He's not important, let's let it go.

16. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Watching the reply. Pretty obvious Hubie is pro Mavs. Just sad.

17. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

according to Brown, Ellis is a superstar

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it wasn't so much his reactions after plays as much as he only gave insight for what the Mavs needed to do. With the Rockets it was just what they were doing and what players were good at. He wasn't over the top with Rockets hate and upset when they scored, just called it from a Mav's perspective.

There were plenty of times when he was wrong about fouls or whatever and I did find it really annoying when he was harping on Smith for falling down "to try to draw a call" when the replay showed that he clearly tangled feet with his own player. Even when it was live it looked like he slipped because there was no Mav around. Then I saw the replay and saw the tangle but Hubie kept going on like it was some terrible flop. That annoyed me but seemed more like a mistake by him and not just hating on the Rockets. But it was odd.

Edit: for the love of God, it should be "Hubie has bias..." or "Hubie is biased...". Not "Hubie is bias..."

19. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Yeah I used to think Hubie was pretty good but last night was just a Mavs slobfest.

20. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member