1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I'm a Hubie apologist but damn, even I found myself shaking my head

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Hubue Brown is the worst commentator I have ever heard of in my life.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Looks like I'm pretty much alone on this ... lol. I guess I just wasn't being attentive enough to his lack of enthusiasm when we made a play.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I think you're trying too hard to play devil's advocate.

He's awful, one of the worst in the game right now, but I don't know about "worst ever". Hell, even right now, I'd probably say Mark Jackson is worse.

I do feel like sometimes Hubie roots more for the underdog so it's not a Rockets/Mavs specific thing. Still very unprofessional, though.

Besides that, he's just an awful, awful commentator. I've never heard someone say so little while talking so much.

5. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

he was bad in game 1, but tonight he was just horrible. clearly against us all the time.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Give us freaking JVG!

7. dischead

dischead Member

Why does this guy hate the Rockets? Is it because Hakeem destroyed his ass when he was coach back in the day?

8. cebu

cebu Member

Sounds like he's paid by Cuban.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

He was so bias tonight holy crap

Saying UGH every time the Rockets scored.

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Back in the day Hubie would call it down the middle and just would marvel at good basketball. But now he is against the ROX. I use to think he an Marv Albert were great but hubie has fell off

11. mulletman

mulletman Member

This was the part where he groaned in disgust:

https://youtu.be/Z_9vz0437ro

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Yes..... indeed ... it was like an old man trying to get it up.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess it makes sense to you but I'm glad no other announcer does it to the extent he did in the 1st half. It was ridiculous.

From my standpoint, it had little to do with his lack of enthusiasm when the Rockets did something. It was that he consistently, on both ends of the floor, kept calling things from a Mavs standpoint. He embarrassed himself IMO.

Maybe someone said something to Hubie at halftime and he toned it down in the 2nd half after I switched over to Root.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I switched to our terrible local broadcast.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I wish I had Root Sports to listen to today.

15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He also let out a groan after Hardens step back that went in and out and back in again in the last 30 seconds.

16. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

So annoying. How do I apply for his job? I'm biased but at least I'd be professional with it!

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know. It sounded to me like Hubie was cheering good plays on both sides. He missed a couple of calls for sure. One was the one where he was screaming that a foul should've been called on Howard for pushing off on Harris. The replay showed that Harris had a hold of Dwight's wrist/arm as Dwight was pushing him. If anything, that was a correct "no call" or it should've been a double foul or something. He complimented Harden profusely, gave credit to Josh for good defensive plays, and called out bonehead plays. I really had no problem with Hubie's color commentary/analysis as a whole. The guy loves basketball and sounds like he's favoring a team when in reality, at least to me, he's favoring basketball plays. He seemed like a fan of both teams, to be honest, and I really have no problem with that. I don't care if a guy is neutral as long as he's not biased one way, and I didn't get that he was tonight.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I try to be as objective about this stuff as possible, but it was pretty clear to me that Hubie was rooting for the Mavs.

I'm not saying this means he's biased against the Rockets and/or likes the Mavs or anything, though. I feel like I've noticed this with Hubie before. He just likes to subtly support the underdog in many of these games, which is still kind of unprofessional.

You're right that he likes "good plays" for the most part. He's not like flagrantly rooting against the front runner (Houston in this case), but it's noticeable IMO.

Regardless, he's just a terrible announcer. He almost never says anything worthwhile.

19. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I don't think he is bias....ALTHOUGH I can see why some feel that way. He has a habit of showing disdain when we make big plays sometimes. I don't know if he's upset with the defense messing up or the rockets making the play lol

I know when Harden made the step back jumper he groan while Tricico voice was excited....that was obvious. I think that he knows a lot and very good at explaining the game. That was NOT a foul on Harden against Dirk.

#279 sjackson0, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can see how some of you guys think that, and I guess I could be swayed to believe it, but I never felt that way while watching the game. There were a couple of plays that I thought he was just flat-out wrong, but that happens to everybody. As for the "oh"'s that people are screaming about, hell, Hubie does that after a lot of great plays. He did it after Monta's final shot that brought them within 1 point.