1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad Owners Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Thankfully yes. Amazon Cloud Player too, so that's a plus.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those of you that are still looking for one, cheer up - HP will have more online for sale from everything I'm reading. How many or when, who knows.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Some thoughts:

- I thought WebOS 'card' multitasking was nice on a phone, but it's even better in a tablet.

- The integration with Google services, Facebook, etc into the Touchpad's system (like into the photo gallery) is a nice touch.

- The browser, unfortunately, kind of sucks.

- As I suspected, Flash in a mobile browser is nice and all...but I'd still rather have a dedicated app.

- I think the WebOS notification system might even be better than Android's.

- Few video options REALLY takes a hit on the value here. Of the things I want in a tablet, this is one of the big ones. No Netflix, Hulu or iTunes rentals really sting. Thank God Amazon's services work and HBO Go, or I'd pretty much feel like I wasted $100. Not being able to watch my Instant Queue on a brand new 'mobile' device just feels...wrong.

- It's downright criminal that HP didn't have this thing optimized out of the box. After those preware patches, the OS is very snappy.

- This thing's a brick. I was playing around with a Galaxy 10.1 and an ipad2 in Best Buy and those few ounces make a difference. Should have been lighter/thinner.

Overall I'm pretty ok with it. I mean, hell, it was 100 bucks. And if the homebrew crowd does domething with it it'll be more than worth it But in all honesty this whole thing has only served to confirm what I suspected: I'd really get a lot of use out of a tablet. All this has done is make me determined to get one of the new tablets next year.

4. Yao11

Yao11 Member

Does the Touchpad need a screen protector? I figure it would be a hot mess of finger prints if it didn't have one. If so, would iPad screen protectors do the job?

5. markg

markg Member

Has anyone downloaded webOSdoctor? I'm in the process of installing it to my touchpad but it seems like it's stuck at 62%...

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mac user here.

I found a music syncing software for Mac users called HPplay

http://hpplay.com/

I need a way to sync movies now. Anyone got suggestions?

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

why are you downloading webosdoctor?
    you don't need the doctor unless you want to totally reset it to factory. That is its main purpose.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does anyone know a relatively easy way to synch a MAC iCal calendar with a Droid device calendar? I can easily share MAC with MS Outlook, by sharing my MAC calendar via MobileMe and then using the provided URL for Outlook.

I tried the same thing with Google and it appears to work, but it only shows a fraction of the events. I looked on my Droid phone and Samsung Droid tablet, but find no equivalent option.

(I think this is an appropriate place to ask this because, generally, a lot of you know what you're doing and this is a Droid related question)

Thanks

9. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Anyone looking for the wireless touchpad charger... Walmart at I10e and beltway has one left... For 35!

10. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Want me to hide it? Hahaha

11. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Wow... Nevermind... Walmart online has it for 35... In store its 79... They won't budge. When I told them everywhere else is selling then for 40 she said it has to be in an ad... I explained that they would never be an ad because it is discountinued she didn't care... So f that... If you want one for 79 there are two at Walmart...bummer

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's Walmart for you. Keep an eye on their clearance aisle.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hulu is dumb to block the touchpad I didnt find out until last night when a friend sent me a hulu link and it didnt work when the night before I saw a few episodes of shows.

If hulu has exclusive deals with apple and vizio fine but netflix needs to start working on a app quickly because they pretty much would be the only major stream option (not considering amazon major just yet) out there for what probably is now the 2nd most owned tablet in america (3rd if you cant ipad and ipad2 as separate tablets)

thats a huge market that they can now get at if they didnt have netflix streaming before I am hoping that one will be out in the next month -- anyone know if netflix is developing an app right now for it?

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here's a TV app you may be interested in:

https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.13appdesign.videofloodhd

I have a hunch there won't be too many apps coming up for webOS but who knows...

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

16. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Does it support slingbox??

17. markg

markg Member

That's how I got it to the latest software. I got it to work and now I just need to install preware.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Is it uncomfortable to hold in one hand for a long time? I've gotten plenty spoiled from my nook color's light weight.

19. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

So my touchpad arrives today, and I get it all "optimized." Well everything except overclocking it, and I'm messing around with it and the thing shuts off and won't turn back on! Haha. Anyone know how to hard reset it?

I might have to return it to Best Buy. With the trouble I went through it would really suck to not be able to get another one.

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Got it a few hours ago but it won't detect any WiFi networks. My other devices usually detect about 6 networks at my house.