1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HP TouchPad $90

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yep. Still use one and run Android. Probably use it once a week for internet when the wife is using my ipad. Works great

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Good to see you guys still getting good use out of it.

3. Nero

Nero Member

I have been meaning to tell you guys - if you have not updated the Touchpad to CM10, DO IT NOW.

It is pure awesome perfect.

The only thing is the camera sucks because, well, the camera sucks. But other than that, the Touchpad is still used almost everyday at my house because of CM10.

Carry on.

4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If there's one thing the Touchpad has that I wish the iPad and android tablets have is support for the Touchstone charger. You don't know how conveniant having a stand that also charges. It's the only thing keeping me from buying another tablet.

5. joesr

joesr Member

what is cm10?
    I just got a windows phone after I broke my android phone and I am loving it. It does seem to run a second slower then the androin but the syncing and integration into my windows 8 desktop and xbox one is freaking awesome. damn phone made me think of the tablet when iw asnt even thinking of it.

6. Blake

Updated android version.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Cyanogen Mod 10. Based on Android Jelly Bean 4.1 and CM10.1 is based on Jelly Bean 4.2. They have already released newer ROMs based on 4.3 and just recently experimental based on 4.4 (kitKat).

8. BALLhog 247 365

updated to CM10, a couple of days later my touchpad died and was never to be resurrected.

9. NewRoxFan

Ouch. Did you pose questions on XDA after it happened? I have seen lots of folks with what first appeared to be dead TouchPads only to be revived through a few relatively simple steps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-touchpad

It really may be dead, and you have since replaced with a newer/better tablet, but its worth a shot, and I have really seen some creative solutions to many seemingly fatal probs (eg. cracked screens, dead batteries, etc). I even brought mine back once from what I thought was a dead TP.

10. The Boz

The Boz Member

This is why I stay with cm9. CM9 runs perfect on touchpad.

11. NewRoxFan

The TouchStone is really useful. I may be wrong though, but I believe there are hockey puck like chargers or other Android devices though.

12. Blake

Yeah, I haven't updated from cm9. Don't plan on it either

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

anybody still use theirs? i just was able to revive mine after a couple years of gathering dust.

never converted it to Android and think I'm going to now, if I can.

any tips?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Trash it and buy something new.
    Touchpad was a bargain then, its a piece of crap now.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

probably will trash it. was going to mess around with it a little until then. barely ever used it in the first place.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I converted it to android a couple years back, ran the battery down quicker since running double os. New tablets put this to shame. Time to throw in the towel.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You guys should definitely buy the iPad Mini 2 whenever it inevitably goes on sale for $200 again. Best value on the market (for now).

18. NewRoxFan

A few weeks ago I updated my HP TouchPad to Marshmallow (Evervolv 6.0.1). The update was really smooth... I use the Toolkit to increase the system partition and changed to a 6.0.1 friendly set of GAPPs (OpenGAPPS). I did lose the camera and bluetooth (known bugs) but the camera on a TouchPad is pretty awful, and I suspect the bluetooth issue will be solved soon anyway. The new ROM is pretty smooth, and the benefits of Doze under MM is really noticeable (battery life increased noticeably).

Pretty amazing that of all the devices I have running Android, an almost five year old abandoned tablet designed to run webOS was my first device to run 6.0.1.

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet running MM (a custom ROM called Screw'd) that I really like for its small size and speed. In fact, I'd recommend getting one of the N7's since you can probably find them for around $100.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Any suggestions for a novice to transition his from webOS to where you are now? I assume any earlier thread instructions either no longer work, or there are better ways.

20. NewRoxFan

This is the tool I mentioned. It will help you move from webOS to Android, as well as other useful functions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2756314

Lots of useful videos on what to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0fXhwyN6Jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysii0DBQ7V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIc18AcuoW4

1 person likes this.