1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hows About Chris Webber??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Nov 7, 2007.

1. matty101

matty101 Member

This has been mentioned before but hasnt been talked about for a while and when i went on espn.com today i saw him and thought about what he could bring.

Now before you guys get on your high horses and start flaming me, just take a minute to think about what he could bring to the team. Let me list his Pros and Cons.

Pros -

1. He is a proven player and veteran PF
    2. He knows the system like the back of his hand. (If he does nothign else he can help out chuck and Luis)
    3. Still has a good midrange jumper and he will get plenty of shots with Yao and Tmac in the game.
    4. Provides a positive locker room presence.
    5. Will come here to WIN!! Wont bicker about PT cause he just wants a ring.
    6. Last year when Detroit signed him they played much better. ( Cant remember what their record was with him but it was defiantly substantially better)
    7. Low risk, High reward. Will come here for cheap (Vets minimum?)

Cons -

1. Less atletic and doesnt put the ball on the floor and drive to thw hole as well as he used to.
    2. Has some injury concerns.
    3. Struggles on the defensive end sometimes due to his lack of athleticism and his knees.

From what i can see, if the price is right (and it should be), then we lose nothing in picking him up and can gain a hell of a lot. As i said before, if worse comes to worse, the guy can just teach Chuck and Luis the ins and outs of the offense.

IMO he is worth a look.

What do you guys think?

2. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Hell to the no.

Besides, we are fine with Hayes and Scola.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

You can never have too many big men in the Western Conference. But who do you cut?

I like the idea of bringing him in for sort of a mentor role to the young power forwards in this offense, but I don't think Webber feels the same way. He feels he can still contribute, especially after turning the Pistons around early last season

4. dedong22

dedong22 Member

he definately knows adleman's system well, let adelman talk him here :D

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

You said it.... low risk, high reward.
    If he'll sign for the min, do it 10 minutes ago. As for who gets cut, I cut Snyder. I think with Tmac/Bonzi/Shane/Head we're pretty set at the 2/3 and could sneak Francis in the rotation if anyone gets hurt. clutch citizen- Yes, you can never have enough big men in the West.

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

He was my most hated player....but I want him to get a ring.

Cut anyone of Steve, bring Webber in. Deke is not enough.

We need more player familiar with the system other than Bonzi.

"It's time", enough said.

7. bobododo

bobododo Member

Webber is not going to be happy if he doesnt get minutes. Also his defensive is horrendous. Bad ankles and old age.

8. matty101

matty101 Member

The guy doesnt have a job atm. If he still thinks he can contirbute and play heavy minutes, then i agree i wouldnt want him. But i honestly think he will settle for 10-15 mpg.

As you said you can never have too many big men in the West. Scola, although a very good player, still needs mnore time to adjust and he can develop bwhind Cwebb. Maybe Hays for 25-30mins and then Scola and Webber split the rest.

Who to cut is a tough question. Maybe just shipping Snyder or Novak for a pick??

9. matty101

matty101 Member

As i said, he can split time with Chuck and Scola who are both play good hard D. It will give the time another dimension on offense. He would drain jumpers all day.

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Not to mention his midrange jumper has totally gone down the drain. The worst part is he still takes those shots with the confidence he had from 5 years ago, I don't see him being worth a roster spot.

11. MM=unbeatable

MM=unbeatable Member

agree,we dont need him

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

He's just another Juwan Howard. No.

13. matty101

matty101 Member

He averaged 11 points in under 30 mins last year. He wasnt even a real option in the pistons offense and he still did that. How do you think he got those points. He defiantly didnt get em by putting the ball on the floor.

his shot is still respectable. Thats all we need. As long as he gets respect from the defense then they cant sag and double Yao like they do for Chucky.

14. bobododo

bobododo Member

Why would you want to give away minutes to some guy who cant defend anyone? Wouldn't it be better just for chuck and scola to have more mins? I doubt any of them need a wash up mentor o_O Isn't it like bringing in an old shawn kemp.

15. TheSummit

TheSummit Member

we don't need him, but its long season and u never know with injuries and only 4 bigs on the active roster. I say only do it if it doesn't cost much, but we really don't need to add anything at this point.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Originally I wanted him. We were implementing a new system, we had no true point guard, I wasn't comfortable with Yao creating offense from the high post, Mutombo was unsigned, and I had serious doubts about Scola's readiness to contribute...

After watching the games thus far I have changed my mind completely. Think about it... We have- Adelman, 2 superstars, and top five depth. Its the perfect situation for Webber. Webber probably wet his pants at the idea of becoming a Rocket. I think its Adelman that is reluctant to pursue Webb. The emphasis is still on defense, the offense isn't Sacramento's, and Hayes/Mutombo/(and development of Scola) > Webber (in the long run).

It would still be sexy if Webber could come off the bench and start dishing to cutters. It would be a quick spark. It would look beautiful. The crowd and players would get involved. But its a quick fix, Duncan, Jefferson, Aldridge, Odom, Boozer, and Stoudemire would tear up Webber. The real reward is in getting our players situated. So kudos to Adelman for not taking the easy way out.

In contrast, if this was JVG we would have already signed Oakley and Houston while Charlie Ward would be the Texans QB coach...

17. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

he only wants to play for the pistons.

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

we might as well trade for peja, bobby jackson, and mike bibby, and get doug christie out of retirement to try and recreate the 02 kings. :D

actually bringing in chris webber wouldnt be a bad idea. he still has some game left.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

C-Webb remains a blip on my (personal) radar. I'm less concerned with how much he has left in the tank than how he would mentor the system - and how he would interact with our reluctant killer, Tracy McG. If Webber could get TMac to enter the killer zone I'd be X - static!

20. MM=unbeatable

MM=unbeatable Member

that's where the problem is,it's never gonna happen,we cant afford to have him