1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard = Lebron stopper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Mar 5, 2014.

1. mockster

mockster Member

Is dwight howard the Lebron stopper. Now I know their is no such thing as a Lebron stopper, but I have a few theories of why dwight DC *superman* can stop Lebrons Marvel *iron man*. Let's see lebrons game, he mostly gets majority of his points from driving to the basket because he's strong and athletic for his size. Now dwight howard is obviously going to be protecting the rim as the center while guarding his man so when Lebron drives your going to have this big body and long armed center protecting the paint and for the most part you're not going to bully dwight. It doesbt mean Lebron won't score but it's gonna be harder to then your average center. So what makes dwight different compared to other centers like deandre Jordan and Roy hibbbert n etc. n that's Howard's mobility. For a center Dwight's pretty mobile and athletic compared to most centers. He's quicker then most centers and faster on sprints and fast breaks. I think in various scenarios you could have dwight guard Lebron such as we saw in the last minutes of the game. Dwight's got long arms to defend the jumpshots. Now let's not be silly obviously Lebron is faster and quicker and if he drove to the basket he could leave dwight in the dust but even if so dwight can make up slot of distance with his long arms in the chase down block. Now I'm not saying dwight should be guarding Lebron the whole game but I think he should in certain situations and coming to double team as well as being the rim protector when he drives. Any thoughts?

2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

a modern day ryan bowen

3. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

If he can only be used in certain scenarios, I wouldn't dub him as the Lebron Stopper

4. mockster

mockster Member

Like I said there is no such thing as a Lebron stopper but I think dwight as a player and the concept is a good way to put Lebron at bay. Lol at Bowen

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron was pretty much bricking everything in the 2nd half except that 3 of the backboard which was not counted.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Lebron missed the final shot because he was afraid of The People's Elbow

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

It was obvious that the Heat needed a 3 to tie the game. Dwight wasn't even guarding LeBron until the final switch. All Dwight needed to do is keep his hands up and jump as high as he could vertically without fouling.

Dwight was the perfect player for this particular play on LeBron considering the circumstances.

8. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Another classic veteran's move from Dwight. :)

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not even close unfortunately. Dwight was really helped out by the fact that EVERYONE in the stadium knew what LBJ was going to do; shoot a three ball. Normally however, LBJ is simply too quick for Dwight to keep up with.

10. mockster

mockster Member

Also as I said. Lebrons majority points come from driving and it's not that his jump shot sucks it's just not as consistent as a micheal Jordan or Kobe Bryant. Dwight howard is protecting the paint so it's going to force him to shoot more

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Was anyone scared that the refs would call a foul on Dwight for accidentally elbowing Lebron on that Harden half court pass? Lebron made it seem he was severely hurt and the refs got to together at half-court and were talking for a long time.

12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

No way they would call a foul there both players were going for the ball and Dwight's elbow nailed LBJ's broken nose, that has got to be pretty painful.

13. PatBeverleyFan

lol I'm still wondering what the hell Harden was thinking here. Other than that, the starters did a great job overall :p

14. mockster

mockster Member

I was pissed when harden threw that pass. That's like a Rudy gay stunt.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Full court alley oop? Either way, we can all agree that it was the worst possible decision Harden could have made once he decided to pass the ball. :p

16. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Dwight has the highest and quickest leap so passing to him isn't bad. If you were ever going to turn over the ball let's turn it over by wasting more time going full court, right?

Something still bothers me. We can not pass the ball during pressure moments at the end of games. How many times have we seen this happened?

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

nobody can stop lebron
    he was tired last night after scoring 61 pts the night before

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Not at all... throwing to Dwight was really dumb. Even if he DID catch that inaccurate hail mary, he would have been immediately fouled and Dwight is the LAST person we want shooting FT's in a close game in its final seconds.

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Smh at the guy using his IPad/Tablet as a camera.

20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Not very smart by Lebron then. They had that game won, there was no need for Lebron to continue playing considering they had another game against one of the better teams.