1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Is Just Not A Good Low Post Threat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 13, 2014.

1. recboil

recboil Member

Finally someone gets it.

Dwight needs to kick the ball out if he's too far outside the block and call for the ball after repositioning himself closer to the post so he can make a quick 1, 2 , move. He's quick and super athletic but trying to post up 12 feet out usually leads to a travel, offensive foul or stolen ball from a double team.

Guards also need to put him in a better situation. They often settle with his position by throwing him the ball even when he's too far from the post to be successful. Sometimes, Dwight's wide open under the basket or there's a mouse in the house and he's waving his hands frantically for the ball but the guards completely miss him. They need to actively seek out his position better.

2. adobo

adobo Member

I just can't believe he didn't develop his low post after so many years in the NBA. He has improved this year tho, but these things don't come overnight...so there will be nights where he will kill it in the post and some nights where he will just turn it over.

I think he can vastly improve if he just decide to take it quicker to the basket rather than waiting for the opponent to set there defense...also he needs to pass it out more if the defense are set or double teaming him which means someone must be open.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The rules have changed so much and the also I think Dwight is an easy target. For some reason, refs seem to hate him...

4. amaru

amaru Member

The past few games he's gone back to overdribbling in the post.

He needs to get back to catching the ball, going into his move quickly and finishing explosively.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

These past few weeks he has clearly been trying to develop a new counter-move and it looks awkward as he is trying to implement it.

6. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

are you good at your job and among top ten ppl in the world in what you do? are you even amongst 10 millions best in the world at what you do?:grin:

7. adobo

adobo Member

But this is why his paid the big bucks to be the top 10 player or top 3 Center ;)
    Nothing wrong with being a fan and wanting him to be better

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Are you also among a few thousands American men who is 6'11" or tall? If you happened to be, are you also gifted with raw athleticism that's rare among population, especially tall people?

If Dwight Howard is average is height or even a few inches shorter, he would be on a min contract or even out of the league at this stage of his career.

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

10. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

What I find interesting is that the only reason Dwight is a center is due to his wingspan.
    Blake Griffin, Durant, Stoudemire, all of them are the same height as Dwight.

I suppose he is also kind of stuck at center because he has no real skills or fundamentals. Being at the center spot allows him to just dominate slower, less athletic centers in this weak era.

I'd say Griffin would do very well as a center if he didn't have t-rex arms.

11. Marteen

Marteen Member

Fans should know what they were getting when the team signed Howard. They weren't getting a Hakeem-esque player offensively, but defensively yes. I still think he can help offensively as he's not a total goose egg in the box score.

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I think the fans know that, but it really doesn't seem like the coaching staff does. If they did they wouldn't be posting Dwight up every single play.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

:confused:

Don't let our pace and offensive numbers fool you, when the defense crunches down there's only one player on our team that can generate offense--Harden.

We desperately need a more consistent offensive option outside of James, we need a 3rd star, but a 2nd scorer. Dwight's a 19ppg guy at best, he was whatever he was in Orlando(21-23ppg) because he was the 1st option. Being a 2nd option does that, he'll settle at 18/13 once we get a 3rd star that can put up 20-22ppg and generate offense.

At times, he dominates in the post. But at other times, he looks pathetic. When it all matters, against Miami, OKC, SA, IND, Clips, MEM, etc., I don't think anyone whose watched the Rockets this year can confidently say Dwight Howard is a consistent 2nd option.

I'm hoping for otherwise, but I knew this before. Hasn't really changed...

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Griffin, yes, t-rex arms
    Durant, dude's like 200lbs
    Amare? He played C for a few years.

15. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Irrelevant until we know his salary. If he's paid like he's the best, then those are fair questions.

Dwight's paid like the best, and in all actuality with my given hate, he is the best. But again, it's by default.

16. BullRider

BullRider Member

Dwight has been misery lately but he will bounce back.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

18. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Asik should Play more,Howard slows us down and Harden plays much better with Omer

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Hakeem has gone on vacation and Dwight just regressed back to his old unwatchable post game.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

We should be going to howard to close out games get us the w