1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Is Just Not A Good Low Post Threat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

I think the rockets are playing Howard perfectly. Maybe in the beginning of the game he is the first option which I totally respect because it is important to get him going. But more times than not he is our third or fourth option on offense. Obviously he will not be our go to guy and he is not going to carry us offensively but it is important to establish post presence in the nba. Believe it or not dwight is still drawing doubles. As far as his turnovers go in believe its due to chemistry and still not being comfortable in the system but in time they will fix those and I guarantee Dwight's turnovers will decrease. And yeah you're gonna get flamed cause your thread is an obvious knee jerk reaction to one of Dwight's worst games in a rockets uni this year but hey it's something to talk about :)

2. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

The turnovers are just a lack of chemistry. Dwight only posts up a handful of possessions each game. Doubles come once every so often but the important part to take from all this is that he STILL draws double teams. so yes it's going to take time but the turnovers will go down

3. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

I hope so. 4 TOs over so far in Bulls game by the superstar. It's not even the end of 1st half yet. Unacceptable.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Are you watching the game right now? None of his turnovers are related to chemistry. He forces the issue too much. Noah's on him Boozers hanging right by him just pass the ball. It's a national game and wants to be the man. Maybe that's not it but just do it on defense and let the offense came. He is killing us on offense right now.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry this is ridiculous - howard has IMPROVED so much in the low post. To complain now because of 1 or 2 bad games is just annoying

6. anchel

anchel Member

Houston plays so bad with him. We don't take advantage of him. The help from coaching is non existant.

7. Old Man Rock

What's ridiculous. Did you read any of my posts. I didn't write this immediately after the last game. This is not about a couple of bad games. Howard has had these problems all season. Yes Hakeem has helped him some. I have seen him make some quicker moves with success. But the slow dribble back his man up is a bad shot for him.

I'm not complaining tonight. The advantage he has is he does need to be doubled. The disadvantage is he can stopped with the double. Howard needs to make his move quicker. He is not shaq or Hakeem. He can't beat the double. If he doesn't pass out of the double he isn't helping us.

8. bmd

bmd Member

It has nothing to do with chemistry. Howard will get stripped, step out of bounds, travel, commit an offensive foul, dribble off his foot, etc.

He is just clumsy in the post. He's an athletic freak but not particularly coordinated.

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Bingo. Double team is the main problem for him.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

When he goes up against very good to elite defenders his post game just doesn't work. An old ass Duncan locked him up last year in the playoffs.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Oh look, more Howard turnovers in the post

12. DocRock

DocRock Member

He was hurt last year. But I don't disagree with the main point.

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

See man we need another low post threat....Dwight can't be that threat

14. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

gosh, when Dwight struggles and they keep feeding him, the Rox offense is ugly to watch

15. Old Man Rock

Therein lies the problem. Quit feeding him. Teach him to pass back out and repost him. Run more pnr. Let Harden ISO. Anything has got to be better.

16. jk103

jk103 Member

He's the 103rd best post-up player in the league, and this is the play we run 10% of the time. It's not just a bad shot, it's offensive fouls leading to foul trouble for our best shot-blocker and bad passes leading to fast breaks. I thought he'd been playing better lately, but I was wrong. His numbers haven't improved at all.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's been playing outstanding in Feb and led the Rockets to a big year so far. It's only the last week we're seeing him struggle again - you know why, because now people are starting to refocus on him. He's getting doubled because now everyone is doubling him where he was being played straight up before.

Yes he's going to have to adjust, yes it will take time. But he's overall improving. You guys don't have the patience. Howard never had a great post-up game. He's learning one for the first time. It doesn't happen in one step.

This season will be invaluable, this summer he's going to get to work on a lot of his flaws. His tendency to get stripped, his tendency to charge, his tendency to get trapped. It will get better. But give the guy the break - he has gotten so much better than where he was last year or at the beginning of the season.

1 person likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's fine. My only issue is he needs to know what he has and if a quick shot isn't there, just pass it out. He tries to force it too much and that's when it becomes a turnover or a brick. When he's quick, he's usually good.

19. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Who is this rookie Howard you talking about? I hope he improves his post up games say...in 10 seasons.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I always see this OP call everyone trolls. But he has some of the consistently worst posts I've seen in the GARM. They're all purely emotional and based on hyperbole.