1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Is Just Not A Good Low Post Threat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 13, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Howard can't shoot. At all. Even Shaq was a way better jump shooter. Howard can't ever be really good in the post because he can't shoot.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In a playoff series, the team will likely figure out pretty quickly whether the Dwight post up is going to work or not vs. a particular team. I am hopeful that they will adjust accordingly.

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Howard does draw fouls. McHale wants the offense to go through Howard, first to test the opponent's defense, 2nd to test the refs. If they don't double him, feed him more and see if he can make his shots, or if not, at least try to get their bigs in foul trouble.

I think maybe couple of post up plays in the beginning of the game, we would already know how Howard will perform down low for the night.

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

This makes sense. Howard isn't the lost post ISO threat you build a team around, even though he did amazingly well in Orlando. He's a force, but not a Hakeem style force. Quick decisions before the defense sets up for him would be a huge factor if he does it consistently. There's that word again! :p

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is interesting that McHale/Morey still go down to Howard in the post so frequently. I assume the decision is mostly Morey's because McHale has implemented an offense that exactly mirrors Morey's offensive philosophy. I do not completely understand the decision to go so frequently to the Howard post up. Could it be that they do not view the entry passes to be of sufficient quality to allow Howard to optimally function in the post?

6. GTRockets

GTRockets Member

I agree he good at the low post offensively but since hes so strong and he can score down there through force teams double him. Howard is a great passer from the post so hes most likely getting the ball in the post just to open up the court.

7. Official

Official New Member

Howard is an inconsistent post player. Regardless you feed him in the post to start the game to establish a post presence, draw early fouls, and increase his energy level on defense. From then you just hand the ball to him in the post once or twice a quarter unless he is hot. You don't run the offense through him but as means to create space for your shooters and ball handlers. This is what Orlando did and what Houston needs to do.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rough approximation, but I am getting about .92 ppp for the Rockets when Dwight shots or has an assist opportunity.

Assumptions:
    Half of Dwight's assists are from post.
    Rockets score 1.2 points per Dwight assist opportunity from the post.
    Rockets rebound 27% of Dwights misses from the post or misses from shots on a Dwight assist opportunity.
    Rockets score 1.08 ppp on second chances

Not good, but workable in right matchups and not so terrible that it can't be more viable in the long run if he can cut down turnovers.

9. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

I actually see improvement in Howard's post game. His footwork has dramatically improved. Touch is something that he can develop still with dedication. I've noticed Hakeem's influence in his footwork and I think Dwight isn't used to using his newer moves against live game speed competition, which leads to him finishing his moves from less than ideal angles and positions. If he just improves his low post position enough to not wind up being stuck under the backboard after he makes a spin, I think you will see a significant improvement in his post game.
    Coming in to the season, I didn't expect him to be a real offensive threat for us. However, I was expecting him to be much more of a shot blocking and rebounding force than he has been. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by his improvement on offense. He obviously has been working on his weaknesses. Look at his free throw form. He actually looks like a decent shooter and usually has a very good release now. The guy has clearly been putting in work. I'm actually stoked for Dwight's potential now. I think his post game will improve once he starts getting better position and is used to finishing from angles that he hasn't really used before. Once he starts having confidence in his moves, his confidence will grow which, in turn, should increase his productivity exponentially. We're already seeing better results from the charity stripe and I expect that to continue in less he regresses to old habits and loses confidence in his FT stroke. This COULD be an indicator of what kind of improvement we can expect to see in his low post game. If you don't focus on the result of made vs. missed basket, you can see big improvements in his game already. The guy has really shown major improvement in his footwork. With enough repetition in game situations, the results of the work that he has clearly put in on his footwork will begin to show up on the stat sheet. The guy has amazingly quick feet and I'm starting to believe that his best offensive days could still be ahead of him. There's no excuse for him to not have developed his game more in the previous 10 years, but I am excited about what appears to be a re-dedication to improving his game. He's said and and done all the right things since being in Houston. I thought we were getting a diva with no work ethic when we got him. But now, I see the guy clearly works hard and I'm pleasantly surprised with his leadership.

10. NotChandlerParsons

It's because Dwight signed with the understanding that he would get a lot of post up possessions. That's it.

11. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

I love TJones but this team will need a PF that can score in the post and midrange. This would put less pressure on dwight. Morey needs to target a high level PF.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Two post players tend not to work well together. There is only so much room around the restricted area.

The number of mid-ranged shots have been driven as low as they will go by Morey/McHale. They are not coming back as long as DM is the GM.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's not good, but its the impact of having a "threat" down low that makes this offense work.

Oh... and if the defense decides to not guard or pay attention to Dwight on the low block he can absolutely destroy teams on any given night.

The fact is, efficient or not from the low block, teams still gameplan around stopping him down low, and that opens up the game-play that makes the Rockets engine run in the process.

Dwight on the low block is a necessary evil, and we could only be so lucky for opposing teams to stop paying attention to Dwight down low.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Howard's post game is on and off at times. What I noticed is his post game is effective when he uses his drop step post moves. He needs to be quick with his moves, just two dribbles and a quick drop step. Keep it simple.

I remember that game against the pistons in December. Harden was out with an injury, so we rode Howard all game and he delivered. Dwight absolutely dominated Drummond in the post. He can be unstoppable at times.

If we want to beat clippers or thunder, we need Howard to dominate in the post. He needs to take over offensively. I need to know that I can depend on him to score 30 points if we need him to.

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Howard's post game is Linconsistent.

16. dje243

dje243 Member

I really just think he's streaky. Most of the times his post moves don't seem like terrible ideas... or even terrible moves. Some games he's got the touch and they seem to all go in, and some games they all bounce off the rim.

17. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Well it will be hard to win a championship unless Dwight greatly improves. Somebody who can constantly hit a 17-20 ft shot can give Dwight space. Sure Kevin Love or Melo would be great to have but I don't see them coming here. Also Aldridge may stay in Portland. Somebody who can take the pressure off Dwight he could excel more. He doesn't have to be a back to the basket guy. Tjones doesn't have a jumper and he is athletic but he is not fluid.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Why is it hard for the Rockets to win the chip? Any more than it is hard for any team to win the chip? Houston has a top 3 offense and a top 9 defense. That by itself tells me that the Rockets are certainly in the hunt.

19. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

I want the rockets to win as well but i just see holes in the team right now. When Tjones/Dmo don't play well it forces us to go small with Parsons at the 4. I just feel like they need another high level starter to win preferably a PF.