1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you rank prime Hakeem among the All time best NBA Centers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nikos, Mar 24, 2002.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

solid, I believe you. Where did you live when you were younger? Maybe the game was only shown in certain regions??

BTW, 24/24 on 68% shooting isn't impressive in the midget leagues, but it is impressive in any era in the NBA. Also, Wilt led the league in assists one year.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, there definitely isn't a tape of the game, so if it was televised wouldn't it have been recorded in some form or fashion. Or did networks use to just stream live events without keeping a record of the broadcast? I seriously doubt it.

3. hariz0381

hariz0381 New Member

well stockton i think is the greatest in terms of stats, but if i said that, id be contradicting myself... so in terms of being clutch, magic is no doubt the best PG... its just impressive that stockton is the all tiem leaders in assists and steals...

back to the point tho, when wilt was dominating, the competition was real weak but you can't take away a lot from that.. but i stick to my original decision of hakeem being teh best C ever... id make a case for best player ever, but the inconsistency at this age really hurts his chances...

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Not that it really matters but David Robinson scored 72 points in a game once...

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Was that the last game of the season where the Spurs gave it to Robinson every time, just so he could beat Shaq in the Points/Game race?

6. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Washington was the first, but was he really better than Lincoln or even either of the Roosevelts?

Also if you're going on a cruise would you go on the Santa Maria or on a current cruise ship?

For those who attempt to make the point that no player could average Wilt's numbers in today's game, you are right and that includes Wilt. The game has evolved the same way man has evolved over time in order to improve. Today's game is a lot tougher. Granted Wilt and Bill paved the way, but to say they'd dominate today like they did then is laughable. If you would take a time machine and implant those players into the current time, give them a year to adjust to the rules then enter them in the league, you'd probably be surprised. I'm sure they would be good, but they wouldn't destroy everyone else. It sucks to say, but no one can really end this argument. Like I already said Dream's injuries are what hurt him the most.

BTW From what I've heard in other arguments on this topic, Former Trailblazer Arvadis Sabonis was a really good center in his prime in Europe. Although it must be emphasized that this was in Europe.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Gr8-1, Thanks for your kind response. However, I think I am signing off on this issue. Other members of the board have got me thinking that I experienced a childhood psychosis (delusional), false memories, or worse. This whole board is supposed to be for fun. This isn't fun anymore. My last word on this one is I have a vivid memory of watching the game, and that is is truth as I know it. Thanks.

8. whiplashtony

whiplashtony Member

Hydra,

Hate to bust your chops but Kareem came into the league in 69. They started keeping track of of blocks in 75.

Kareem's total blocks 3,189
    Dreams (not even including this years) 3,740

Thousands eh ? I'm not even going to get into the math with you because it's obvious. Especially with Dream's stealing prowess - no one can touch him defensively. Go talk up your boy on the Laker BBS boards scrub.

9. hariz0381

hariz0381 New Member

hakeem in terms of all time PLAYERS, not just centers, i think hes defintiely top ten... my biased decision would put hakeem in front of mj in terms of talent but i kno im gonna get madd heat so i guess MJ is in front of hakeem in greatest list... u add magic, bird, wilt, jabbar, dr. j, maybe malone, and maybe 'nique (although these guys not getting a ring hurts thier chances)... and i cant decide the other two...