1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you feel about trading for Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Oct 1, 2014.

?

How would you feel about trading for Rondo?

1. Hell yes, if the price is reasonable.

78.9%
  2. Absolutley not, it wouldn't work.

21.1%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The article(s) you posted....one mentions Ainge's wish to convince Rondo to stay while adding Marc Gasol.

Hell, Phil can say, "How's about you (Rondo) and Marc Gasol come here and play with Melo?"

Not that Ainge can't try and package Wallace's expiring with all those draft picks coming to Boston, but turning down the Knicks would be tough.

I guess ole Danny wants to exhaust all the possibilities before he loses his boy.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's basically doing what the Rockets were doing as Yao was exiting the league. Which leads me to believe that even though he's leading the perception of rebuilding, he's totally still open to "pulling a Summer of 07" again, and keeping Rondo in the process.

Like I mentioned.... I don't know how much success he's going to have. As you said, the perception obviously from your side is that he's "played out". However, the notion that Ainge will DEFINITELY trade Rondo is a bit premature IMO just given his history, and knowing the school of thought that comes from that camp (the same camp that introduce the sports world to Daryl Morey).

Point is... I don't know if I would call articles or reports like this as propaganda for leverage on a trade. There is a real possibility that Ainge really is trying to trade for Marc Gasol and/or other big name all-stars AND is hoping to keep Rondo in the process. He does have one of the best trade packages out there on the market, and one of the best destinations to sell an incoming player that will need to be resigned. Having statements out there that they are keeping Rondo only helps his leverage in getting those star players to "apply force" for that trade if needed.

I'd say by the trade deadline, if he's seen no traction in trades for these type of guys, there is a real possibility he takes up an offer for Rondo at that point. However, I still think he might consider leaving him on the books at that point to see if he can strike gold next Summer & resign Rondo. Either way, he's only risking a few assets in the process, but has alot to gain IF his plan goes through next Summer.

Again... if you get more intel into his blueprint, I'd love to hear it. I'm only speculating based on past history.

3. Aarackniid

Aarackniid Member

Who the heck would want Rubio over Rondo?! Rubio can't even shoot... Oh wait

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ok.........this is going to be the last time I post this.

[​IMG]

Rondo is NOT a bad shooter.....he's just not a 3-point guy. He is a VERY GOOD mid-range shooter.

The guy I've compared him to is Tony Parker. Rondo is a little better from mid-range, and Tony is a little better at the basket. Tony has also added that corner 3, which is probably something Rondo needs to look into.

[​IMG]

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's also generally left open to shoot those mid-range shots because teams WANT him to shoot the ball. Hitting 50% of uncontested shots essentially from the FT line isn't impressive.

6. davesmall

davesmall Member

No way

I don't see Rondo being a fit for the Rockets at all. The three point shot is a key part of the Rocket's strategy. Rondo shoots a miserable 25% from long range. He's a 62% field goal shooter. He does get a lot of assists. Not as good a defender as Beverly. Questionable attitude.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's backwards logic. He shoots and makes tons of mid-range shots, so teams are more willing to let him take mid-range shots??

Parker is considered one of the best mid-range shooters in the game and I just showed you a chart that proves Rondo is actually better. When presented with new information, you've got to adjust your thinking.

I'm in favor of the Rockets standing pat. I imagine we've got offers out for both Rondo and Rubio, both for pennies on the dollar. If those go through, fine. If not, I'm ok seeing what we've got with Beverley, Canaan, Johnson, and eventually Llull.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Now he has a broken hand?