1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you feel about trading for Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Oct 1, 2014.

?

How would you feel about trading for Rondo?

1. Hell yes, if the price is reasonable.

78.9%
  2. Absolutley not, it wouldn't work.

21.1%
  1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Tell ainge to give up the goods..we'll take Wallace if we have to..that contract tho..nevermind

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So who are you eyeing out of the Mavs teasure trove? Felton? Personally I don't care because I'd only take Rondo for cheap. If someone wants to overpay (the list is only those that Rondo wil resign with AND needs a pg) then trade away.

3. baubo

baubo Member

I know eye of the beholder and everything, but can you tell me what the Mavs possess that would be better than NO's pick? I wouldn't trade that pick for anything on the Mavs other than Dirk. I'm curious to see how much of a difference in judging talent here.

On a side note, the Mavs will have cap room next year. They don't need to S&T for Rondo. They can just sign him.

4. delishman

delishman Member

Yeah.. the Mavs can't even come close to a T-Bird, Pellies Pick Offer.

What do you think he will fetch?

5. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I never said Houston doesn't have some nice young pieces they do but if people think they are going to get him for Jet and a couple of slobs it wont happen IMO.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No rational person on here thinks that.

7. baubo

baubo Member

It's not like the NBA has secret teams or secret players. Everything for the most part is public. So just tell us which teams and which assets would make sense. Rockets fans aren't clueless. It's not as if all of us were wondering how in the world did Minnesota reject our offer for Love and instead chose Wiggins, Bennet, and 1st. Surely there's one team out there that have incredible assets, willing to give them up all for Rondo, and Rondo is willing to re-sign there, right? That is the crux of your argument.

8. basketballholic

Be realistice celts. Name the team that doesnt have max cap space in 2015 to sign Rondo outright that has better assets than Houston to trade for Rondo in a sign-and-trade and has a need at point guard. Just be realistic. Name the team or teams.

9. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Morey's not going to overpay for Rondo.

11. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I'd love a trade for Rondo, if they also got a floor-spacing, sharpshooting power forward.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

As much as he can be a pain the ass, the man has proven to be one of the best pg's in the league when healthy. Rubio is by no means at his level. In fact they are not even close. Rubio has court vision but his shooting is so horrendous that it does make it a liability to just have him on the court. Rondo also adds that experience that this team needs. Someone who has been to the dance and is itching to get back. That competitive fire is exactly something this team needs. Mario Elie had it, Vernon Maxwell had and some others who made this city proud at one point. If we need a spark or a fire to light these boys asses then so be it. Now do we honestly think we'll get him for dirt? No. He'll be out for a few weeks because of his hand and some, but that is exactly why we have a plethora of guys who can fill the void for the mean time. So if we have trade and depart with a guy like Dmo or Tjones, canaan and a pick. It is ok. We are in a win now mode and there is no reason why this team is not aiming to put the best lineup out there to win a championship this season. Does Rondo make us instant contenders? I believe so but also depends who we fill the voids after the trade because we are definitely going to have to give to receive.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the thread says, "fair value" and leaves it open ended as to what that is. If you ask Israelis and Palestinians if the would like a "fair negotiated peace", they all say yes. So why no peace? Once you start getting into details, Palestiians view fair peace as all Jews back to Europe, while the Israelis think it means total and absolute surrender by Hamas. When you start talking details of fair peace, everything breaks down quickly.

So what is fair value?

Who are the last few top PG's that have been traded?

Off the top of my head, I can remember:

A.) Deron Williams for Devin Harris, Favors and two late firsts

B.) Lowery for the guaranteed lotto pick.

Are there any others?

Williams has had his issues, but that is irrelevant for the trade value at the time.

Rondo now, at this point with the injury and personality issues - is he closer to Lowery or Williams? Or is there a better comp?

I'd like to hear opinions, but my view is that he is a whole lot closer to Lowrey in terms of desirability than Williams. If healthy, I'd place him a notch below Williams, but now? At his best he is a better player than Lowrey, but you can count on Lowrey for close to 82 games. Not so Rondo and Lowery was also locked up long term for cheap. I guess you could throw in the Grandpa Nash trade, but given his advanced age. I'm going to exclude it.

Consequently, I think the Lowery value, and probably sweeten it a little.

If the Celtics are trying to get multiple players and picks, I don't think the comparable show that anything near that is realistic. No offense to our Celtics fans.

Maybe Ainge holds out for a hail mary, connects on it, and I feel stupid.

But I guarantee you that every GM in the league is looking at those past trades and trying to slot Rondo in that hierarchy in order to gage "market value". Knowing Morey, I'd bet his initial offer would be just the Pelicans pick, and his best offer wouldn't be much more than something like the Pelicans pick and TJ, and maybe a low value player like Canaan. And part of me thinks it's less and that I'm just trying not to seem too radical.

I would be gobsmacked if it's anywhere close to what the Nets gave up for Williams. Morey is nothing if not value conscious.

#93 Ottomaton, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  14. basketballholic

Like I said.....what teams that don't have cap space next year has a need for a PG like Rondo?

Then after you get that list of teams together you've got to filter them down to teams that Rondo will re-sign with. It's already come out that he won't re-sign in Sacramento so cross them off the list.

ATL? - They've got Teague. They don't have cap space as long as Millsap's cap hold is on their cap. I suppose they could put together a Teague plus picks deal for Boston. But remember Boston is looking for a quality young 5. Teague makes no sense in Boston. They don't need him nor want him.

Brooklyn? - They're way over the cap. Perhaps they could trade DWill to Sacramento for McLeMore, expirings and picks to flip to Boston?

Charlotte? - This is the team that could realistically trade for Rondo. (And the team that I think is most likely to trade for him.) They can send Boston a young big or maybe even a couple young bigs from among Biyombo, Zeller, and Vonleigh. Throw in a pick or two and Kemba Walker possibly flipped to another team and you might have a deal there. (Have to assume Rondo would be willing to re-sign there though. Haven't heard anything on that.)

Dallas? - Nothing really. Ellis and picks? Throw in Brandan Wright?

Detroit? - Assuming Stan wants Rondo and Rondo wants Stan and Detroit, Greg Monroe, Jonas Jerebko and picks? (If both Rondo and Monroe are agreeable) But Detroit has cap space next summer. They could just sign Rondo outright.

Indy? - Hibbert and a couple picks???

LAL? - why trade for Rondo when they can simply sign him outright? If they do trade for him it's most likely Randle and Lin.

MIA? - they have nothing short of Bosh to entice Ainge to deal Rondo there.

OKC? - they could make a run offering up Lamb, Jackson, and Perk. But they would more likely be able to interest Ainge if they put in Adams instead of one of the others. And I simply can't see OKC doing that.

HOU - If Morey wants him and he wants Houston we could package together the Pels pick with DMo and KPap and a non-guaranteed deal. Personally, if I were Morey....I wouldn't do that deal until the trade deadline if at all. I'd definitely wait and see what else popped up either with Rubio or possible with PHX wanting to dump Bledsoe for the best value they can get.

Those are your possible trade candidates. You may want to throw in New Orleans. They could possible come up with a convoluted 3 or 4 team deal shipping out either Gordon or Reke or Jrue along with another asset or two and send Boston back a mediocre talent and a couple middling picks. But that's about it.

And here's some keys:

1. The Pels pick is the best pick available in trade TODAY. That may change as the season goes along if the Pels come out of the gate strong and fight for a playoff spot. But if they don't that pick will become even more valuable in trade as the season rocks along.

2. Boston's greatest need is a shut down 5. Not more guards. Smart and Bradley are a fine backcourt if Rondo is gone. Boston has at least a band-aid solution at the 3 with Green. And they've got multiple pieces including Sullinger and Olynk at the 4. What they don't have is an anchor. Or at least they need to be able to maximize their chances of acquiring that anchor 5 with a Rondo trade.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BBH - I think we can almost certainly shave that list down bigtime.

Rondo's landing spot is most likely a contender.

And this, along with the injuries, big salary/will he resign with the team = very small market.

That said, who has the assets to make a Godfather offer?

#95 Plowman, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. basketballholic

Agreed. I went through every possibility I could think of.

If Rondo is traded he'll go for around 60 cents on the dollar. There is no godfather deal available. And I'm having a difficult time seeing any single greater asset (player or pick) available in trade for a guy like Rondo or Goran or Rubio than the Pels pick.

1 person likes this.
  17. Plowman

Supporting Member

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We are talking about the same GM that flipped an entire roster overnight besides his one All-Star back in 07 to create a championship team just as fast.

Look... the Source here is sketchy at best so I wouldn't read into anything but common sense tells us what about Danny Ainge??

That his plan is to gut his roster and go super young (and basically tank) for half a decade with a Wide Open Eastern Conference mind you, or that he's collected a crap load of assets with the thought processes of flipping those assets for all-star caliber veterans?

My guess is that he'd much prefer to flip his assets sooner rather than later to contend sooner rather than later. I don't know the deals he would line up, and I don't know how, but I do know he's stockpiled a ton of tradeable commodities, and I know he has a history of asset flipping to use as a reference point.

Do I think Rondo is off the table completely..... No. Do I think Ainge will make a play at TRYING to create a superteam again AND keep Rondo at the same time yes.

All options seem to be open for the Celtics right now as far as I can see. However if you hear anything different about Ainge's true plans from your end, I'm all ears. Just saying... history often repeats itself, or people at least try to repeat history.

19. Plowman

Supporting Member

To me, Ainge is played out, he can't get there or even sell that perception.

He's already rebuilding.