1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you feel about ending up with Antonio Davis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the impending free agent wars looming,the grand prize is obviously CWebb.If we happen to lose out on him,I don't think it's the end of the world.I've always loved Davis's game and think it is what we need ...defense...rebounding...and a little jumper now..I didn't like it when Indy got rid of him.Anyway,I wonder how much he would cost us a year.I'm sure it will be much less than Chris which would allow us to resign our own and possibly sign another.Make no mistake,I want Webber,but if that doesn't happen,I'd be ecstatic to pick up Davis.How would you all feel about it if we ended up with him?

------------------
    If I had my life to live over,I would have liked to have ended up as a sportswriter - Richard M. Nixon,1969

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Ho hum. That's how I'd feel. If they picked up Hakeem and Mo as well, I might feel better. Hard to see how that would work, though. The way I see it, its Webber, or death.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. Cat5

Cat5 Member

I would not give the max to AD.

4. Plowman

Supporting Member

I don't believe Davis is going to get the max and......this would be done in conjunction with other moves.

------------------
    If I had my life to live over,I would have liked to have ended up as a sportswriter - Richard M. Nixon,1969

5. Band Geek Mobster

I think us getting Webber would be a miracle.

oeilpere said it himself in the grumblings thread that the Rockets are below the 3rd or 4th spot on his list of teams.

I hope I'm wrong about the miracle stuff.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited March 30, 2001).]

6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Antonio Davis is the Easts most improved player. I don't know what it is but he's as confident as ever. Maybe the accumulated years of experience are giving him an upper edge, but whatever it is he's been extremely impressive, especially on the offensive end. He still rebounds and has suprisingly become a decent shot blocker and interior defender but his shooting touch has been astounding.

Who here has watched Antonio Davis play this year? Well if not, imagine Otis Thorpe with a jump shot. Thats what type of player Antonio Davis has shot into this year. If Chris Webber is a no go, Antonio Davis deserves at least a hey ho.

------------------

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd feel puzzled if we got Davis. He's a pretty good player, but the age disparity between him and Francis is too big for the move to make a lot of sense. By the time Francis is seasoned for championships, Davis will be thinking retirement.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I would feel giddy and bubbly like the Powerpuff Girls after they had saved Townsville from Mojo Jojo.

Sorry, I have a 4 yr. old girl!

Anyway, Davis possesses exactly what every team needs. This guy is 6th in the league in offensive rebounds, 9th in rebs. per game, 14th in blocks, and 12th in double-doubles. A guy that will get you 13-15 points per game, grab you 10-12 boards, and block a few shots. Plus, he is strong, runs the floor, and plays tough interior defense.

Cato who?

Davis has many good years ahead of him, and certainly is versatile, given that he plays both C and PF.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

9. Plowman

Supporting Member

Any ideas as to how much he will command?..8 mil/yr?..Seems like we could get most of what this team is missing by signing Davis....

------------------

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Davis wants the max. That's why he's opting out.

------------------

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

no disrespect to oeilpere,but i seriously doubt he has a clue where cwebb wants to go or what his list looks like, i dont think anyone does, besides webber.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

mgh 1925-2001

12. Cat5

Cat5 Member

Is he worth the max?

13. Plowman

Supporting Member

Thanks TPL...I didn't expect that,damn.Well Cat5,I doubt I would pay it to him either... [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited March 30, 2001).]

14. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

AD would be one heck of a consolation prize to C-Webb. The guy is a warrior. He's relentless on the boards (probably one of the top 5 rebounders in the game), he can play defense against the best of them, and he has the ability to effectively play the 4 or 5 (in the West he's more of a 5). In terms of fitting in with the Rocks, he's improved his 12-15 foot jump enough so that opponents respect him, and thus space-out Rudy T's offense. He's about 31, so he's in his prime with some good years left, and that may be a little too old for the team's core, but we cannot expect the Rocks to only acquire players who match that age group. Once Dream retires, the youngsters will need guidance and leadership. Davis is the perfect leader. In Toronto, he's probably the #2 option there right now (though A.Williams and MoPete are starting to step up) so he would have to take a reduced role in terms of offense in Houston. If he actually does leave Toronto, there's rumours he wants to go to Orlando; but never undestimate the appeal of Rudy T and the Rockets organization.

In short, the guy's a warrior who brings it every night. In other words, he's everything Kelly Cato is not.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    There's a very fine line between genius and madness.

http://www.clutchtown.com

15. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Age isn't as big a factor for big guys. They typically have more longevity.

I would rather just pick up spare parts than strike out going for a homerun in a Webber.

Two guys I like are Mark Blount, Celtics center, and Eddie Robinson.

I doubt the Rockets have a chance, let alone have any interest in him, but if Bass doesn't dish out the bucks to this guy, the Rockets should at least try and recruit him.

It all hinges on Shandon being here or not, as far as pursuing Robinson goes.

Also, I would resign Mo. I just think Robinson is the ideal 3 for this team, and has the length, unlike Shandon, to play that position well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 30, 2001).]

16. DaneB

DaneB Member

Antonio Davis isn't worth the max. The most I would probably give him is 8 million.

------------------
    ""Minnesota and Phoenix, they're like the little teen-agers in the Friday the 13th movies. Jason is walking behind you. You know he's back there, but you don't see him." -Maurice Taylor

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I would rather have Marc Jackson from the Warriors because of the age difference.

Perhaps the Rockets ought to explore dumping either Cato, or Walt + Carlos, to the Bulls (who have almost 6 million in current cap space), when the trading window opens up after the playoffs, prior to the draft. I would give up all three of our probable first round picks to the Bulls to entice them to do this deal, to clear up this cap space.

------------------

18. Plowman

Supporting Member

While I see where your coming from Tacoma in this age of 6'11" threes,I'm one of those who believes we need to reup SA.Yes,I know we get lit up by opposing threes on many a night.I like Robinson and what you say makes sense about his length.I agree we really need to concentrate on defense and if possible wouldn't be averse to picking up Eddie.I do wonder what his cost might be.Shandon,to me,is an essential part of this team.He might have his shortcomings,but I believe he is integral to the chemistry and do not believe we have utilized his abilities to their full potential.SA looks like he would be better off at the two at times.This being said,I would love to have both.If you think about it,we WERE rolling until Dream went down,so I don't see any reason to tinker too much with the Francis ,Anderson,Mobes(adding ER would only help) combo...especially with major frontcourt help on the way in some form.After wrestling with the idea of whether Dream will retire,sign with another team,or come back to us,I vote for the latter.His play down the stretch has been remarkable....to say the least.Hopefully,we can get him to take a big hometown discount.If we get Dream,then perhaps we could get away with Maurice's lack of boards.Mo's game is so fundamentally sound and he's so young that I would hate to see him go.At the same time,I really think we need defense and rebounding out of that spot.
    JoeBarelyCares,my friend,I would absolutely do that deal yesterday.There should be an R rating issued when watching Cato or Walt on the floor.The collective stench that radiates from them is enough to make birds drop out of the sky and pregnant women run for cover.If Rudy won't play Carlos he sure as hell ought to deal him.The capspace would be tremendous.
    On Marc Jackson,I like him and his work ethic.He has the legitimate size to bang underneath and a little upside.What kind of moves would you do in conjunction with getting Jackson?......I'm still blown away that we wouldn't have any chance at Davis.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited March 31, 2001).]

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I agree with you that AD would be a tremendous upgrade at PF. However, he will be opting out of a contract that will pay him $7 mil next year. Do we want to pay him the max, which he will demand?
    As for Shandon, he would be nice as a Mario Elie type off the bench, but would he accept that role? He is obviously not the answer as a starting SF. Keep in mind that after he opts out, he will count 4.4 mil against the cap until renounced or signed. That is exactly the minimum we could probably resign Hakeem for (as any team over the cap could sign him for the middle class exception of $4.5). Really, it comes down to a choice between Shandon or Hakeem. Who would you take?

------------------

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Nice breakdown JBC.

------------------
    Arkansas' Biggest Rocket Fan!