1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It might be better than being an ESPN star these days. I watched a show for 10 minutes where sports was discussed for 20 seconds. The rest was LaVar and his youngest son, Elliot's court days, and a spat between two players off the court. Sports is less sporty these days... thank the tv gods for live sports.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

summer league... where stars are discovered and busts are exposed...

StrawberryJamm and tinman like this.
  3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You obviously never saw him play. But he did wind up with a lot of Mark Cuban's money...

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

His length makes a real impact on defense, him being able to hit 3's combined with his defensive presence is a special thing, I see starter material.

I don't think he will be a big time rebounder, I don't think he will be a big time scorer, but a 7 footer who can stretch the floor and protect the paint would be an incredibly valuable addition to this team.

skroodup25 and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. macan

macan Member

he's got the potential to be a starter in a couple years. hope he can gain a little bit more muscle, will be a paint monster to block anything under the rim!

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think he is ready yet, but I do think he has a lot of potential. He won DPOY in CBA and it is translating fairly well so far in the NBA.

I like to see more from him on offense and in the rebounding department, but other than that he already looks a million times more coordinated on defense than Hasheem Thabeet ever was, for whatever that is worth.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously... :rolleyes:

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Shawn Bradley was a 2nd pick. Never been to an all-star game.

(because of white devil)

9. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

[​IMG]

heypartner, Pen15clubber and Haymitch like this.
  10. PatBev

PatBev Member

I just watched a CP3 interview on B/R during practice today and he definitely wants chow to play

CP3 smiled when asked about his three and I think him and MDA know what his lethal lengthy defense could bring at a stretch 4 or center

CP3 is right though saying we need to build his confidence and play him more. One thing I like about pop is getting the rookies playing time

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I hope we keep him projected as a tall 3 mainly, stretch 4 on occasions and who plays the 5 sporadically against bench, wispy centers. All this talk about getting him to put on weight to build more mass makes me scared of a repeat yao's foot case. I'm sure we're more experienced now regarding getting players to put on muscle and strength but I dont know if I can go through it again what we went with yao.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One season isn't enough for him here, at least 2-3 seasons as was the case with Motiejunas.

More potential than Moti because blocks and consistent 3pointers are more important than the occasional hook shot.

Maybe he can erupt for 30 games in the absence of Capela or Nene.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Said it in the other thread, will not back down from it now, he has star potential. I think he's a real gem if he simply works hard at it. Already very fluid at that size and has an outside shot, with Harden on the team for the forseeable future he's going to get a lot of open shots.

Superstar? Maybe not, hard to ever predict those, but a borderline all-star kind of player (which, thanks to china, will make him a perennial all-star if he ever sniffs that territory) then yeah, I think he can be that.

basketballholic likes this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

Block those shots big man!!!

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He needs like 200% more muscle mass and a set of balls to inject aggression into his stupid passiveness for that to ever have a remote chance of happening.

16. illwil29

illwil29 Member

So where does Qi fall? Would we say in between Yi and Yao or below that level? I think he has upside though.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Just like how Durant needs to get stronger right?

This isn't the 90s. No Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing, Mutumbo, etc etc

Modern NBA favors skills and agility over strength.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Did you not learn anything from watching D-Mo get knocked around until he put on muscle?

Durant didn’t play PF full time and plays most of his time at SF. If you want to play in the paint, you have to be able to stand your ground.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't need to get huge or anything, but dude at least needs to get to Kristaps weight.

DonKnock and saleem like this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Even if true (and there are downsides to bulking up, especially at his height) you make it seem like it is an impossible task.

If you said "He needs to learn how to shoot first...or dribble..." but that's not his flaws. If his flaw coming into the NBA is 'bulking up' then he's a great prospect. The rest of the NBA may regret passing on this guy.

DonKnock and RudyTBag like this.