1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

will Tim Quarterman be able to teach Zhou Qi some heart?

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats wrong with that? Joe Chee's goal should be replacing Anderson once his deal expires.

People saying he is garbage now just dumb AF we got to wait a couple of years. Capela is amazing precisely because in just 1 year he showed massive improvement, not every rookie is like that esp for big men they take time. De Andre Jordan for example took 3 years before he got more than garbage time.

3. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

ugh. Nothing wrong, just a different style than CC.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he does
    Code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos  G GS MP FG FGA  FG% 3P 3PA  3P% 2P 2PA  2P% eFG% FT FTA  FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    2017-18    22 HOU NBA   C 16  0 87  5  27 .185  2  16 .125  3  11 .273 .222  7  10 .700   5  13  18   1   2   7   7 14  19
    Career                NBA 16  0 87  5  27 .185  2  16 .125  3  11 .273 .222  7  10 .700   5  13  18   1   2   7   7 14  19

Provided by [url=https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool]Basketball-Reference.com[/url]: [url=https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/qizh01.html?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#totals]View Original Table[/url]
    Generated 3/30/2018.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

The problem with this is that Ryan Anderson is a significantly better 3 point shooter

Game7 likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Meh, Anderson is old and overpaid and a playoff choker.

At least Zhou Qi is cheap, keeping him around doesn't hurt the team and we can cut him later on if he still sucks by his 3rd year.

I remember when Capela was in his rookie year people wanted him traded because we had Dwight and Asik at the C spot and the Rox were in "win now" mode. Look at him now.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. Game7

Game7 Member

Qi is cheap because he sucks. This conversation runs around in circles...

8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

i agree, i was just trying to clarify. But I have spent more post clarifying my clarification ... so i'm done

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Capela is not a good comparison because Qi likes to shoot lots of 3s.

Andersen is still a significantly better three point shooter regardless of what he does in the playoffs.

Qi is shooting 12.5% from the NBA 3.
    Non professional basketball players can shoot this bad.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Zhou hasn't shown much promise this year, but it's not like he was expected to. He just turned 22. The critics are right to be doubtful. His body isn’t NBA ready and his feel for the game is awful. He’s got a LONG way to go and may never be a decent NBA player. But the team is built to win now and does not need him to contribute, nor is he hurting the development of other prospects. He’s a long-term project. We’ll see what he has in the summer league.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. valorita

valorita Member

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then he shouldn't have quoted me.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

28% from 3 isn't that far removed from 12.5%, those are both horrible and not worth the playing time.

The point I'm making with Capela is Joe Chee is still a rookie, and a foreigner to the Us environment and training system. Let's wait a year or 2 before we make any judgements on what the dude can or can't be. He should be encouraged to shoot more 3s even if he is bricking them just so he can get a feel for taking them. He is not affecting games so he should take as many 3s as necessary so he can improve down the line.

OTH Ryan anderson has already peaked, he is getting paid a ridiculous amount of money and has a history of sucking once the playoffs arrive. The difference between the two is staggerring.

14. MrButtocks

Zhou shot 33% from deep on 3.5 attempts per game in the G league. I don't think the team would encourage him to be primarily a spot up shooter unless they thought he had the ability.

basketballholic and vince like this.
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well said. At the beginning of the season, I thought Zhou would be a D-League project for two years before a judgement could be made.

Probably a >50% chance he's not an NBA player but the Rockets have nothing to lose by trying to develop him.

16. hakeemthagreat

Zhou Qi is a terrible basketball player. Ppl were SO against the possibility of bringing Smooth back in the offseason. Call him washed up or whatever, but Josh Smith is better at basketball than Qi will ever be in his lifetime. We must owe Yao a favor for keeping Qi

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First year of a three year project. With the Rockets contending with a deep bench I have no problem at all having one or two JoeChees developing off the court. You can’t teach his size and skill level even if he is unlikely to ever crack an NBA rotation.

This offseason will be where he is where the Rockets will be able to make the most improvement to his body. It’s up to him then to want it enough to do the little effort things to crack the rotation next year.

That being said if they need his salary in the offseason to trade for Lebron, they won’t think twice. He was always a gamble type of prospect but there’s no reason why the Rockets can’t explore a bit with a prospect or two like Joe.

18. MrButtocks

Bring Smoove back in a Bobby Brown role, human victory cigar? Sure. To actually play? Hell no. We brought Smoove back in 15/16 and he was terrible. He's 32 years old now and has no upside. I agree that Smoove was better at basketball than Zhou will ever be, but he's not a rotation player anymore. Neither is Zhou, but he's only 22 and has the possibility of still being in the NBA in a couple of years. One's a lottery ticket, the other is a wining lottery ticket that's already been cashed out. I'll take the former, thank you.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson’s contract has nothing to do with Qi not being ready for prime time.
    Shooters are shooters .
    And this guy is seven feet tall nobody is blocking his wide open three pointers
    it's not like he's Harden having defenders all over him at the 3 point line.

This dude is missing wide open jumpers.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

People seem to think he is jacking these 3s against the wishes/instructions of the coaching staff. I doubt that.