1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. j@amc

j@amc Member

This year I'm not playing Qi against the Dubs unless Ryan Anderson's back is out.

But if there are injuries, I'd rather throw Qi out there against Draymond. He'd look about like Capela did in his first year in he playoffs. Qi would not have any chance of covering Durant. That's wishful thinking.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Whats for dinner?

3. basketballholic

Bingo.

In the dubs small ball lineup Durant does get minutes at the 5. And Durant is the logical matchup defensively for Zhou.

PJ Tucker is the defensive matchup for Draymond. Trevor, Luc, and Zhou (if he continues to develop) are the defensive matchups for Durant, Iggy, Klay.

Hakeemtheking and s3ts like this.
  4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I usually get wings on Saturdays, my boys get pizza though. Your call.

SIL

5. Asian Sensation

Still tall and Chinese.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The second coming of Durantula

Qi-antula

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Durant would absolutely abuse Zhou off the dribble. If Zhou is playing against the death lineup, I'm pretty sure he would be on Draymond, where he won't have to guard an elite off-the-dribble scorer or an elite shooter coming off screens. Zhou on Draymond presents its own challenges but those challenges represent a lesser threat than KD carving Zhou up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Historically, KD has always struggled most with guys who body him up vs. guys who can match his length, so I also think PJ is best utilized on KD.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

All that can be expected from Zhou in the limited minutes that he may get in the playoffs is, a block or two and perhaps a 3 in a couple of games. We should be realistic, he has a long way to go despite his promise.

D-rock likes this.
  9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Hahaha he’s guarding Durant now in your guys’ fantasies? This year?

Yule Qi?

Rashmon and MrButtocks like this.
  10. basketballholic

Durant, one of the best players on the planet, routinely abuses the very best defenders. So, there's that.

However, the magic that we are building on defense is that keen switching ability 1 through 5. Zhou, with a little more experience, has the potential to be a huge part of that rotating, switching defense. And while there is no single defender on the planet who can contain KD, much less shut him down, Zhou has the physical tools necessary to make KD just a little less efficient than he normally would be. And in a 7 game series between these two teams, it's the little things that will make the difference.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I like the optimism bro, which is strange coming from you since you tend to trash Rox prospects and like other guys like Thong Maker over Capela etc.

MrButtocks likes this.
  12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

lol it's Thon Maker. I highly doubt Maker has ever sat in a sweat shop making thongs for the Western World.

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

This is what I disagree with. The guys I have seen have the most success are the stronger guys with quick/strong hands. As you've alluded to, no one ever contains KD, but the guys I recall giving him the most problems are Kawhi, Draymond, Iguodala, Tony Allen, and Jason Kidd. Granted, KD has gotten better since 2011 or whenever they played the Mavs in the WCF, but I think the principle stays the same. We obviously don't have a Kawhi or Draymond, but PJ most resembles the style of defense we have to play on KD.

I like Zhou so far, and his progress since the summer has been very impressive. I honestly didn't think he had an NBA future this summer, and now he looks like a solid young prospect. That said, he's like the 9th guy I would name on our current roster that I want playing against the death lineup. He has looked good shuffling his feet, but that's relative to the big men he's guarding. Against KD, he's going to look like he's wearing concrete shoes.

14. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Maker could have all those badass names (such as Widow Maker), but his parents decided to have him make Thons...smh

15. basketballholic

That's about where I have him in the rotation at present. Starters, Gordon, PJ, Luc, Nene/Zhou.

Personally I think he's a better option than Nene right now. In my opinion, Nene's skills (especially defensively) have eroded between last season and now.

But that's today. We're talking by the end of the season. I know we have Zhou on an accelerated growth and development program. We're trying to get him ready quickly.

And the other thing you have to keep in mind is we might have a slightly different look come February. Maybe. And Zhou could look a lot better depending on who he is playing alongside at the other power spot. For instance a 5/4 combination of DeMarcus/Zhou or even a 5/4 combination of one of Tucker/Luc alongside Zhou is a lot more appealing than one of Capela/Nene alongside Zhou or even Ryan alongside Zhou. You put Zhou next to a defensive player who can play the post while stepping out for the 3 and Zhou's skill set looks a lot better.

vj23k likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This guy might have more potential..... a lot of heart. More hustle, toughness.

His position is unfortunately occupied by many athletic players.

[​IMG]

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes
    He can certainly pick up a controller and guard Durant on PlayStation 2k18

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

Where's Zhou Qi? I missed him when the 3rd string came in last game.

19. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can the Rockets put together a video of this dude lifting weights or something? I want to see some Clint Capela progress!!! :D